Gab's black Takachi assembly

gab

Gab's black Takachi assembly
« on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:31 pm »
I just finished assembling my kit and have a few observations for you if you haven't yet assembled yours.

First there may be some tape residue left when you remove the pink static bubble wrap to the inside of the bottom plate of the chassis. I used a little lighter fluid and alcohol to clean it up to my satsifaction.

Second, I was short the hardware to attach the XLR plugs and ground wire to the chassis. I had all 5 bolts, but not the rest. No problem, a quick trip to Ace fixed me up as I didn't have anything in my stash box that would work. But it slowed me down a bit. Hey it's DIY right  :D

Third, the XLRs come VERY close to the red speaker wires. In fact they touch. I verified there was no short, but it is tight in there. Make sure you install the XLR connectors before you screw the rear panel on.

Fourth, I had to move the rear feet up to the next hole forward so I could use the rear hole to mount the chassis ground. This meant the rear left foot hits the ground chasssis bolt and its not quite pretty, but it is still level and won't be seen. A better solution might be to druill a new hole missing the rear feet. I was concerned that the original hole being right under the fuse location would cause a short.

Pics to follow....

gab

here is whats in the box when you open it

I started by inserting the rest of the screws into the baseplate. Next I installed the 2 heatsinks (no pic)

The tape residue I mentioned

gab

Re: Gab's black Takachi assembly
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:37 pm »
Pic showing assembly prior to final installation of the rear panel

Tight fit! Be sure to check for shorts

Ready for the lid!

gab

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:41 pm »

Finished assembly. Total time 3 hrs including the trip to Ace hardware.

Now off to hook it up and listen! Good luck with your assembly the rest of you Takachi DIYers  :thumb:

gab

bavmike

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:43 pm »
Hi Gab,

I’m glad the amp arrived safe. What hardware are you referring to? Did I forget the 5 M3 nuts? Sorry about the tape residue. I hadn’t used that brand  of tape before and wasn’t aware it left residue. Regarding the XLR’s, the Mogami input wire is springy and can’t be bent to conform to where you want it to go. So may want to tape them together, or use a little zip tie. The connectors are close together on the amp so no way to avoid positioning them fairly close to the speaker wires.

Regarding the chassis ground hole. It’s under the fuse holder. Once bolted in place it’s impossible to cause a short. If for some reason the cable came off of the fuseholder, it would no longer be connected to electricity. There should be no need to move the foot location.

gab

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:52 pm »
Hi Gab,

I’m glad the amp arrived safe. What hardware are you referring to? Did I forget the 5 M3 nuts? Sorry about the tape residue. I hadn’t used that brand  of tape before and wasn’t aware it left residue. Regarding the XLR’s, the Mogami input wire is springy and can’t be bent to conform to where you want it to go. So may want to tape them together, or use a little zip tie. The connectors are close together on the amp so no way to avoid positioning them fairly close to the speaker wires.

Regarding the chassis ground hole. It’s under the fuse holder. Once bolted in place it’s impossible to cause a short. If for some reason the cable came off of the fuseholder, it would no longer be connected to electricity. There should be no need to move the foot location.

Mike - no problem on the nuts. The length of the screws looked like they hit the bottom of the fuse holder thats why I moved it. I could have put the bolt in from the inside facing down, but it is pretty long and I thought it might look funky. But I need to revisit this after listening to it for awhile. Cause having one foot in a non flush position isn't a long term solution. I'll revisit this over the weekend and come up with a better solution and update this thread.

Thank you very Mike for making this kit available to us DIYers. The Takachi case ends up looking really nice but I'm sure the ones you are building from hear on out are going to be WAY nicer! But I'm happy so far....

More to come from the gab.......

bavmike

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:58 pm »
Mike - no problem on the nuts. The length of the screws looked like they hit the bottom of the fuse holder thats why I moved it. I could have put the bolt in from the inside facing down, but it is pretty long and I thought it might look funky. But I need to revisit this after listening to it for awhile. Cause having one foot in a non flush position isn't a long term solution. I'll revisit this over the weekend and come up with a better solution and update this thread.

Thank you very Mike for making this kit available to us DIYers. The Takachi case ends up looking really nice but I'm sure the ones you are building from hear on out are going to be WAY nicer! But I'm happy so far....

More to come from the gab.......

Yes in hindsight I should have put the chassis ground hole an inch over. What I suggest is just drilling another hole and putting a little M3 screw and nut in the other hole to fill it up if you don’t like that position. Were the M3 nuts missing from the XLR connectors? I’m pretty sure I sent them. What did you need to purchase at the hardware store?

I’m glad you’re happy but just want to make sure I’m on the same page as you regarding what was missing, and why you need to move the foot. Another thing is make sure to sand the anodizing off around where the chassis ground goes to ensure contact to the aluminum.

SFDude

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:58 pm »
Nice! Will be looking at your post to help with assembly (should be mostly straightforward).

Let us know your listening impressions, along with your gear, once you've had a chance to let it burn in.

-dave

bavmike

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2018, 12:06 am »
If you have the Furutech power cable, the chassis ground is right by the amp mains input.

gab

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2018, 05:10 pm »
I installed the 6mm screw and used the original hole under the fuse. I made sure to make a good electrical path for the ground cable. Its probably easier to drill a new hole as Brother Love showed in his pics. But if you don't want to, the original hole works fine.

A critical thing you must do: Twist those internal speaker wires as Mike showed in his other thread. I didn't do this and had issues until I twisted them properly as Mike shows.

Now I will say that this is the finest amp I have had in the house driving my GR Research LS-6s. I won't name some of the amps I've tried. It just doesn't matter anymore. I love high dynamics and the LS-6s do this very well. But with this amp it just takes it to another level. Track 1 of Flim and the BBs Tricycle album has never sounded so good!

Thank you Mike and Icepower! I am truly very happy :thumb:

bavmike

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2018, 05:13 pm »
I’m glad you like the amp. Yes it appears those twists are critical. Lots of folks who assembled the NC-400’s had issues when not twisting the speaker cables as well. Once you get more time on the amp, feel free to post in the listening impressions page.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2018, 07:06 pm »
Once you get more time on the amp, feel free to post in the listening impressions page.
+1 I will look forward the sound impressions too.
Seems a useful hi-fi amp to the audiophiles.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2018, 07:49 pm »
Great pics gab. I really like that black case, I chose silver for the upgraded case but that black Takachi does look nice! Congrats!

gab

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2018, 10:05 pm »
Great pics gab. I really like that black case, I chose silver for the upgraded case but that black Takachi does look nice! Congrats!

Yes it did turn out fantastic. I like that its completely disappears in the rack and has no nomenclature on it at all. Now I can lie and say I built it all myself :D

gab

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2018, 10:08 pm »
+1 I will look forward the sound impressions too.
Seems a useful hi-fi amp to the audiophiles.

Hey FRM

I know you are into your tube amps, but you might find you like it as well. BTW - what you end up doing with those Omega Alnico drivers?

gab

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2018, 10:49 pm »
Hey FRM

I know you are into your tube amps, but you might find you like it as well. BTW - what you end up doing with those Omega Alnico drivers?

gab
I would like an Class D 50W 8 ohms if it have a wide freq range about 100kHz. I have dont used the 7A drivers yet, so they are safely stored in my bedroom since I intended to fit them in a Frugal Horn XL to a dipole effect, but there is no a handy carpenter here that can understand a PDF file, the guys only know to work with hammer and saw.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2018, 09:31 pm by FullRangeMan »

gab

« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2018, 10:02 pm »
2 months in and approximately 250 hrs and this amp gets better and better and sounds fantastic driving my GR Research LS-6s. I had a non-audiophile buddy over last week and let him listen and he was completely blown away.

I have to upgrade my sources now and I am in the process of doing that now. Stay tuned......

gab

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2018, 10:16 pm »
Great job on the assembly!

bavmike

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2018, 06:51 am »
Great to hear Gab!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2018, 03:03 pm »
  Certainly looks neat, simple to the point. Like everything else need to hear one. Good luck Mike.

charles

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2018, 01:57 pm »
Driving the LS6's, my experience is is having very clean power and a good amplification will make those speakers world beaters.

I had struggled a bit with mine in the highs to the point where I was blocking a few of those Neo tweeters  :icon_lol: Oddly enough a PS Audio Power Plant Premier solved the issue and it was blissful - except that I had sold them  :duh:

Must sound great with an amp with some much dynamic range and clean power!

Congrats