Criterion Demo - Well Almost

jcoat007

« on: 18 Apr 2003, 02:00 pm »
So I received my demo pair of Criterions, and broke them out of their well-packed crate last night.  I decided to put them into my HT system, which is where I am thinking about putting them.  At the same time I decided to put my Mensa DI/O in the mix.  So I unplugged everything, put the DI/O in and hooked it up to my HT receiver.  Hooked up the Criterions, and turned everything on.  Music was coming out and everything was great…for about 5 minutes.  Then I start getting a crackling sound, and a popping sound and music starts to fade in and out.  I turn everything off, check all my connections and wait a few minutes.  Turn it all back on, same thing.  Crackle, pop, and then fade in and out.  Then SMOKE.  Oooooooooh Noooooooooo, Nooooooooot Smooooooooooke (slow motion-like).  Then silence.  As I stare at my system in disbelief, I just can’t believe what just happened.  To say I was bummed is an understatement.  

So, I just moved into this new home.  My upstairs bonus room/music room was not yet set up.  So off I go to get it going.  Put my rack together, put the tubes back in my pre, pull my Odyssey HT-3 out for service (since my mono’s are in transit from Klaus as we speak) and fire it up.  OK, now we’re cookin.  It was about 1 a.m. when I finished, so I just left everything running.  It’s all been in storage for 8 months, so I am sure a couple days running will get it all back in the groove.  Plus I couldn’t crank it up with the kids sleeping.  

So this weekend I will be doing some listening and posting my impressions next week.  From an aesthetic standpoint, the wife gave them the big thumbs up.  They feel like a solid block of wood and are nicely finished.  My only concern is that I have two kids ages six and three.  I am just not sure that a stand-mounted monitor is appropriate in such a setting.  Plus the exposed drivers are just too tempting for my little ones to try and poke and prod.  The upstairs listening room is another story.  That is off limits to the kids, so we shall see if they can de-throne my beloved Vandersteen 3A sigs.  Should be fun.

nathanm

« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2003, 06:53 pm »
Ouch!  Where was the magic smoke released from?

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2003, 03:45 pm »
I'm interested to know how they compared to your 3A's since our systems are similar. Keep us posted. :)

Mike

jcoat007

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2003, 10:26 pm »
Well the magic smoke came from the left rear quadrant of the unit.  I am still soooooo bummed.  

I have been playing them since late Thursday night and was impressed by their smoothness, their obvious transparency and their ability to image.  Since both of my systems contain full-range floorstanders, I felt the bass was just not what I am used to.  For their size however, I was impressed.  The bass is very tight and tuneful, just not earth shattering.  

This morning I broke out my Vandersteen 2Wq subs and holy crap, what a difference.  Now these things are simply amazing.  

Can you see the music coming out from these?
http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=469">

Next, I am breaking out my 3A sigs.  I will keep you guys posted.  

Back to cranking up the tunes.  C'ya.  :D

Steve

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2003, 11:47 pm »
Very nice!  I like your setup, very clean layout.  Have you ever considered moving the subs so that they are outside the main speakers instead of between them?  It will improve imaging.  Just an idea. . .

jcoat007

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2003, 11:59 am »
Thanks for the tip.  I had planned on doing some re-arranging, and experimenting with placement.  This is a new room, and I am just happy to have sound coming out at this point.  

Real Happy!!!   :D

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2003, 01:23 am »
Quote from: jcoat007
Can you see the music coming out from these?

No, but I can see the slap echoes surely bouncing around that bare bones room! Ahhh, bare drywall! Nooooooooo!!! Yous need some absorbtion dere!  :P

Bummer, I wanted to get the demo pair with the 4-way rounded edges!  :(