Odyssey MKII Speakers?

themollusk

Odyssey MKII Speakers?
« on: 12 Mar 2017, 03:20 am »
Hi guys, I have a question that I was hoping someone might be able to help with. I picked up these speakers the other day and am trying to find out who made them/their background. They are labeled "Odyssey" brand and I believe the model says Mk II. Can anyone tell me if these are related to Klaus and Odyssey Audio? Or are these perhaps another brand with the Odyssey name? I can't seem to find anything about these on the Odyssey Audio website or anywhere else online really.

Someone has a similar speaker on Ebay (although it's ported on the back instead of the front and has different woofers with rubber surrounds.) On their add, they are saying that it is related/similar to the early Epiphany speaker, but I don't know what to think. Perhaps they are some type of early prototype? They sound really fantastic for whatever they are anyways. I posted a few pics below in the hopes that someone might help me identify. Thanks

A few specs: They weigh 22lbs each, the tweeter is a 3/4" Vifa made in Denmark D19-td-5, no clue where the 8" woofer is from. They are in need of some serious re-foaming which I will be looking into asap (as is evidenced by the temp fix shiny nail polish streaks throughout  :wink:

« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2017, 01:02 am by themollusk »

Phil A

Re: Odyssey MKII Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2017, 12:54 pm »
Don't know anything about them but found this:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26554

themollusk

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2017, 02:52 am »
Don't know anything about them but found this:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26554

Thanks for the link Phil, those definitely seem to be the same speakers, except with different woofers. Yeah, still not really sure what to make of these. It seems like nobody really knows for sure where they came from. All I know is that they sound surprisingly good for my tastes, which is all that really matters I guess. We really enjoyed listening to them last night, but I think I'm going to hold off on further listening until I replace the rotting foams. If nothing else, these speakers helped me learn about this forum, Klaus and the great Odyssey Audio brand. Seems like a great guy and quality company to support.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2017, 09:12 am »
nope ..............

themollusk

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2017, 07:20 pm »
nope ..............

Thanks Klaus, that's what I figured given the lack of any mention of these. It's nice to get an official answer out there though, as apparently other people have been speculating (and even an Ebay ad with some dude referencing your site in his description.) These were most likely made by some small, quality Canadian manufacturer back in the day (certainly doesn't deter from my appreciation of them.) My search for the true maker shall continue :) Thanks again for the clarification.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2017, 07:28 pm »
(and even an Ebay ad with some dude referencing your site in his description.)

That's one of the reasons I basically don't go there.  So many clueless sellers.  If it is something I want and can't get it somewhere I might eventually look.  I haven't bought anything there in years.

budfox

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2017, 12:30 am »
I designed and manufactured the line in early 85'
The company was 'Odyssey Loudspeakers' a division of the Speaker Factory
in Kitchener, Ontario Canada

We never registered the name.

It's kind of cool seeing them pop up all over the place now after all these years.

I still have two pairs of the MK III's

I met Paul Barton at the NRC the one day we were in final testing in the anechoic chamber.

The woofers were made to our spec by a by a boutique speaker manufacturer in Toronto.
They went out of business some time in 98'

There were three models in the line, the MKI 6 1/2" 2-way, MKII 8" 2way bookshelf, MKIII 8" 2way floor standing.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2017, 02:35 am »
WOW,  that's pretty neat.  Welcome to AC and Odyssey, Bud.

budfox

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2017, 03:55 am »
Thanks Max,

Moved to the US in 89' and Married a Cheese Head.  :D

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2017, 04:42 am »
Wow. Audiocircle kicks a**. Wonder if Bud could explain the somewhat unusual front baffle design; it does look nice, but is there an acoustics reason for it?

budfox

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2017, 12:50 pm »
Hi DB,

We did it to  time align the drivers and to eliminate standing waves in the box.

themollusk

« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2017, 02:46 am »
I designed and manufactured the line in early 85'
The company was 'Odyssey Loudspeakers' a division of the Speaker Factory
in Kitchener, Ontario Canada

We never registered the name.

It's kind of cool seeing them pop up all over the place now after all these years.

I still have two pairs of the MK III's

I met Paul Barton at the NRC the one day we were in final testing in the anechoic chamber.

The woofers were made to our spec by a by a boutique speaker manufacturer in Toronto.
They went out of business some time in 98'

There were three models in the line, the MKI 6 1/2" 2-way, MKII 8" 2way bookshelf, MKIII 8" 2way floor standing.

Hey Bud, thank you very much for the response, that's awesome! It's great to finally put a name to these and get some interesting insight into their history. There is something seriously special about the sound of these, everyone that I have played them for has given them high praise (not to mention the great looks.) They have a nice warm sound that's just very pleasing and the bass is impressive for their size.  I currently use them in my primary setup alongside and sometimes in combination with a set of Audioanalyst a100x.

Great work man, I'll be on the lookout and would love to acquire a pair of the larger MKIII's at some point in the future. Given that I live in Southwestern Ontario, I'm sure that I'll find a used pair given enough time :) Thanks again.

budfox

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2017, 05:48 pm »
Here's a pix of my personal pair of MKIII's. The cabs are Brazilian Rosewood Veneer. Only ten pair of these were ever made. Too expensive.

Try and find a pair of MKI's, the 6 1/2" Two way. They sold out immediately due to the size, appearance, and sound quality.

budfox

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2017, 06:10 pm »
From Audioless Winnipeg Group.....

Odyssey MK1 Bookshelf Speakers
These speakers are pretty interesting.  Canadian made!  And sounds pretty nice for a small pair of speakers.  Uses Vifa tweeters and a 6" polycone woofer in a nice well built box and heavy too, each weigh approximately 10lbs.  The boxes are oak veneer and are well designed and look great with the angled look.  It gives it a nice touch of class. 

Tonal qualities.  With the right power source they sound really nice.  Decent bass, with a very nice midrange.  Female vocals are great with these speakers.  Those Vifa tweeters are really nice.  Reminds me of various New England style speakers.

Mathie

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2019, 02:58 pm »
i still have a working pair of MKIIs if anyone is interested - just replaced them in my main system last week