Show us your Home Theater room *** (photos) ***

Wardsweb

Re: Show us your Home Theater room *** (photos) ***
« Reply #160 on: 13 Jan 2014, 02:30 pm »
My last home theater picture was back in 2010. A few things have changed since then, so here is the latest. The Martin Logan Prodigy's have moved to the dining room and Klipsch Jubilee horns have taken their place. I have also added a drop down screen and Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector on a motorized mount that drops down from the ceiling to get around the 72" ceiling fan. The Danley DTS-10 has moved to the next room and fires through an opening in the wall behind the curtain on the left.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #161 on: 13 Jan 2014, 03:56 pm »
A rare owner of Ampzilla 2000 power amps.  Series I or II?  400W @ 4 Ohm (under rated) powering what, 103 dB speakers?  How would you quantify the noise level?

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid...I personally thought SOA sounded considerably better than Ampzilla 2000 Series I.  Indeed, after I stated as much in person to the late designer James Bongiorno, he said the former had circuit upgrades vs. the latter.  Further, those circuit upgrades largely comprise the "Series II" improvements. 

I'm thinking no one on planet earth could possibly hear any power difference between 100W vs. 200W on such loudspeaker as yours, but of course I could be wrong.

At least two professionals stated their opinion that the cat's meow was SOA x2, running only one channel of each (not bridgeable because each stereo channel is already fully bridged). 

Cosmetic appearance is 100% subjective, but considering the negative response to A2000 and SOA I can't help wishing Bongiorno had employed something different and more widely acceptable.  I can't quite think how to qualify the resemblance to Star Trek in the large face plate graphic, except to say it is polarizing, no electrical pun intended. 

I suppose Bongiorno's King Kong cartoons on the website was a fitting match to his CES attire such as florescent pink or fucsia suits and alligator shoes.  He was extremely generous to me and other assistants at CES.       

rbbert

« Reply #162 on: 13 Jan 2014, 04:08 pm »
Aren't some Klipsch horns 16 ohm?

Wardsweb

« Reply #163 on: 13 Jan 2014, 04:13 pm »
James and his designs were one of a kind. I got to know him over a decade ago and found him to always be generous.

I use an Electrovoice DX-38 active crossover. The Ampzilla 2000 series I drive the bass bins and a Jamo MPA-101 drive the horns, at present. I roll different amps through for the horns; solid state, tubes, chip amp, etc.. The Ampzilla's, as you would expect for bass, are dynamic and quiet. Before the Klipsch, they drove Martin Logan Prodigy's. Again, here they drove the electrostats with ease and without any noise, I could detect. They were originally put in the system to drive Martin Logan CLS. The best pairing I have heard with CLS.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #164 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:25 pm »
I only heard Ampzilla drive a limited number of speakers.  Still, I got the impression they are as neutral and immune to the load as any amp extant. 

afterlife2

« Reply #165 on: 13 Apr 2014, 02:46 pm »
New house, new layout (compared to what I posted above).

Hi pj! Beautiful setup. Do you hear a difference on floor or on table for your sub?

ctviggen

« Reply #166 on: 13 Apr 2014, 04:47 pm »
I had my subs on a stand (I forget the name of it -- substand?).  I thought it helped a bit to lift them off the floor, but the stand also had rubber mounts on which the sub rested and had some insulation/damping material in it.  Ha!  Found it!  I had an older version of this:

http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/subtrap

You have to have some space for this, though. The setup above is much more compact.

afterlife2

« Reply #167 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:41 pm »
Cool thanks, but I have a auralex was just wondering how it sounded up on that cabinet?

afterlife2

« Reply #168 on: 16 Apr 2014, 03:05 pm »
My Audioholics Setup with ALOT of help from my friends. Part 1 :D  :green:
NXG 4.1

Wharfedale Bipolar Surround Speaker WH -2

Tomorrow Part 2.  :rock:

« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2014, 02:14 am by afterlife2 »

afterlife2

« Reply #169 on: 18 Apr 2014, 02:10 am »
Part 2
HK 247

Oppo 980H

Parasound 1000A

NXG Pro 4.1's

NXG Pro 4.1's

NXG Center

Vizio HDTV

Tomorrow Part 3

afterlife2

« Reply #170 on: 18 Apr 2014, 08:32 pm »
Part 3

SVS PB1000

Highs Wharfedale WH-2

Oppo 980H, Panasonic DMP-BD87 and Sony BD BX-59(BD590)

4th and Last Part Tomorrow... :thumb:

afterlife2

« Reply #171 on: 19 Apr 2014, 08:35 pm »
4th and last part.

Blue Light behind the TV

This is an older pic, so the sub here is the awesome OSD(Jman 8)) 10 inch, now regulated for a music setup now. :)

Some eye candy, why not! :)

I hope you enjoyed my modest setup in my tiny apt. and feel free to comment or ask any questions. Thank you guys!:cool:

gregcss

« Reply #172 on: 19 Apr 2014, 08:50 pm »
Nice compact setup. Is that a 10.1 system?

afterlife2

« Reply #173 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:07 am »
Thank you Greg. 8) It's a 9.1 setup. The Klipsch are in a stereo setup with a small pyle 2.0 amp.

MaxCast

« Reply #174 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:51 am »
Let's see a shot of that bike  :)

afterlife2

« Reply #175 on: 20 Apr 2014, 02:36 pm »
Let's see a shot of that bike  :)
lol Max here is a pic when I first got it like 4 yrs ago from a CL seller, been through alot and still survived:

EarPal

« Reply #176 on: 20 Apr 2014, 08:06 pm »

mcgsxr

« Reply #177 on: 14 Jul 2014, 05:06 pm »
An update to my main floor 3.1 setup.

I posted years ago when the main transformation of this space took place.

I initially was using 3 Energy satellites from their Act 6 kit.

Found a cheap Definitive Technology Solo XL to replace them.  Cleans up the mantle nicely.  Still using the DIY Nakamichi 12 inch sub with 300w BASH amp and Pioneer receiver for this TV area.  Logitech remote makes it simple for the whole family to use.

murphy11

« Reply #178 on: 14 Jul 2014, 06:28 pm »
mcgsxr, does mounting the sound bar that high negatively impact sound? Seems like closer to ear level would sound better but maybe aesthetics had something to do with placement above the TV vs. on mantle below.

Are you going to put anything on the mantle of leave it bare?

mcgsxr

« Reply #179 on: 14 Jul 2014, 07:22 pm »
With kids 8 and 10, I am sure the mantle will be filled with different things monthly.  My wife loves to put Xmas stuff all over it, and other seasons sometimes bring other decorations too.

I mounted the bar above the TV primarily to clean up the install visually.

Frankly, neither the 3 small Energy's or the DefTech sound very good.  All use small "woofers" and require 100Hz Xover to the sub.

I tried the DefTech on the mantle over the weekend prior to the effort required to remove the TV, mount the soundbar and rehang the TV.  It did not sound great on the mantle either.

This is a lifestyle choice, and it sounds vastly better than the Panny speakers, so it delivers a better sound, and visually looks good to me.

The basement combined 2 channel/HT is where I go to listen to good sound.  This is just a main floor install that the rest of the family can live with!