Tell me why my plan is stupid... or maybe smart

h2o8polo

Tell me why my plan is stupid... or maybe smart
« on: 30 Jul 2015, 02:48 am »
I have been a home theater guy for a while, and had a real entry level system for the last 15 years which I would upgrade as required (hdmi, 3d, etc). While looking for a new set of speakers (one literally fell off the wall because the glue failed), I had the pleasure of auditioning with a member here and listening to his great 2 channel vinyl system (Thanks yomaha!) This has led me down a path of looking to upgrade my system to end up with a good (budget allowing) system for home theater and 2 channel audio. I know there was some heated discussion about this and setting up an audiophile grade system, but I am just looking for good. Here is my setup, and plan, and what I could use some advice on.

Current Setup
Denon 2312
Energy eXL25, c2, eXL16 (surrounds)
PS4 for movies/games/cd's
Streaming Pandora/Airplay/Network Audio to the Denon

That's it!!! Nothing special, and I am on the hunt to start. Here is my plan.

1. Decided on a full set of Salk Song Towers (with RT). Possibly SCST's, matching center, and SongSurrounds
2. Get a Turntable and start by running it through my AVR. I know this is probably a cardinal sin, but this is a process
3. Get a good 2 channel amp and use the passthrough on the AVR into the amp for the front 2 speakers.
4. Follow up with a decent 3 channel amp to power the center and surrounds
5. Replace the Denon with a receiver that doesn't do any power amplification, and is cleaner all around
6. Profit!

I am sure there are 100 different things to consider here, but wanted the communities opinion on what I am completely missing here. Also, I will replace the PS4 as the primary dvd/audio device and put proper components in that stage as well. Power Conditioning, and proper cabling will come along as the nicer pieces get upgraded. I don't have a full budget yet as this will likely take at least a year to research/purchase, but I am pretty set on the Salk speakers, and looking to find equipment that will match it in quality.

Thanks all!

WGH

Re: Tell me why my plan is stupid... or maybe smart
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2015, 05:26 pm »
The Salk's are an excellent choice, if you possibly can get the center at the same time you would have made a huge upgrade and the other stuff can be done as money allows.

Van Alstine amps with Salk is a no-brainer for great sound on a budget. Since all the dialog is in the center speaker a good amp is a must, one idea would be to get the AVA Synergy 3 channel amp for the front and center speakers. Usually not much happens in the rear surrounds so your existing speakers and receiver will work just fine for the surrounds for a while.

Adding a turntable will complicate things, do you have a lot of records or just starting out?

h2o8polo

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2015, 06:58 pm »
The Salk's are an excellent choice, if you possibly can get the center at the same time you would have made a huge upgrade and the other stuff can be done as money allows.

I hope to get at very least the front 3 (Left, right, center) to start, if not all 5. Using SongSurround I's for the rears.

Van Alstine amps with Salk is a no-brainer for great sound on a budget. Since all the dialog is in the center speaker a good amp is a must, one idea would be to get the AVA Synergy 3 channel amp for the front and center speakers. Usually not much happens in the rear surrounds so your existing speakers and receiver will work just fine for the surrounds for a while.

Van Alstine is certainly on my shortlist for amps. Two questions about using the 3 channel amp.
1. Can you utilize 3 channel audio for vinyl listening? I am pretty sure it's simply 2 channel output, so I don't know what sound would be sent to the center. Or maybe I am completely misunderstanding this.
2. I don't have a center pre-out on my current receiver, and I therefore won't be able to utilize the 3 channels. Is this right?

Adding a turntable will complicate things, do you have a lot of records or just starting out?
I am learning VERY quickly how much a turntable complicates things. I am just starting out on my collection, so am by no means an expert, but am very excited about the journey.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2015, 09:02 pm »
I hope to get at very least the front 3 (Left, right, center) to start, if not all 5. Using SongSurround I's for the rears.

Van Alstine is certainly on my shortlist for amps. Two questions about using the 3 channel amp.
1. Can you utilize 3 channel audio for vinyl listening? I am pretty sure it's simply 2 channel output, so I don't know what sound would be sent to the center. Or maybe I am completely misunderstanding this.

The AVA Synergy 240/3 has 3 inputs, for stereo only 2 would be used.

2. I don't have a center pre-out on my current receiver, and I therefore won't be able to utilize the 3 channels. Is this right?

Right, but since in #5 you wrote "Replace the Denon with a receiver that doesn't do any power amplification..." and you are buying a center channel then you will need something like the Outlaw 975

Even though the Outlaw 975 has analog inputs I don't use mine as a pre-amp for the record player, CD/music streamer, or FM tuner - I just use it for movies and TV so I don't know how it sounds or revealing it is with more delicate material, with bombastic video sounds it works great.

I am learning VERY quickly how much a turntable complicates things. I am just starting out on my collection, so am by no means an expert, but am very excited about the journey.

Some pre-amp/receivers, but not all, have phono pre-amps built in otherwise you are going to need another box.

kingdeezie

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2015, 09:21 pm »
In general, especially on most sane budgets, IMO, you can't serve two masters.

Trying to get a good 2 channel and HT setup, on a budget, will only end up with both sounding less than good.

100 percent, go with Salk, great company.

If I were you, I would ditch the 5.1 HT, and run 2 channel HT. This will allow you to maximize the sound of one peice of the pie.

Since it was the vinyl setup you heard that lit the upgrade flame, you should start with building the best 2 channel sound you can, given your budget.

You could almost afford the HTL 2s for the cost of the 5 Song series speakers.

While listening to vinyl, only two speakers will matter. The HTL2s will do a more than sufficient job with creating a solid phantom center.

h2o8polo

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2015, 10:49 pm »

Trying to get a good 2 channel and HT setup, on a budget, will only end up with both sounding less than good.

I completely understand that this won't be an amazing system to truly impress everyone, but if I can end up with good quality music and decent Home Theater. Hence the migration away from a single AVR that powers everything into a more music focused system through amps and vinyl with a followup HT.

If I were you, I would ditch the 5.1 HT, and run 2 channel HT. This will allow you to maximize the sound of one peice of the pie.

Since it was the vinyl setup you heard that lit the upgrade flame, you should start with building the best 2 channel sound you can, given your budget.

You could almost afford the HTL 2s for the cost of the 5 Song series speakers.

While listening to vinyl, only two speakers will matter. The HTL2s will do a more than sufficient job with creating a solid phantom center.

I've thought about saving up for the Veracity ST's, but I think I have heard the SongTowers and for me, they were nothing short of incredible.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:18 pm »

Absolutely. Getting "good quality music" is incompatible with an HT system. It's not designed to do that. And you want to throw vinyl in there, too? No freakin' way!

Start with what's most important to you. If that's HT, then build the best HT system you can. And once you're done, then move on to a separate 2-channel system, if possible, and share the same speakers. 

kingdeezie

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:21 pm »
I completely understand that this won't be an amazing system to truly impress everyone, but if I can end up with good quality music and decent Home Theater. Hence the migration away from a single AVR that powers everything into a more music focused system through amps and vinyl with a followup HT.

I've thought about saving up for the Veracity ST's, but I think I have heard the SongTowers and for me, they were nothing short of incredible.

My suggestion still stands.

If you loved the sound of the Songtowers, why not maximize their performance?

For a little bit more than the price of all the Song Tower speakers you are looking at purchasing....

You could have the SongTowers and something like a brand new Rogue Audio Cronus integrated. The integrated has a built in phono stage, and a head phone output.

Or, you could buy something like the Rogue Audio Sphinx, and a solid DAC, and really have some great sound. Great 2 Channel, and good HT.

I would see if the person who let you demo the system before, would let you watch a little bit of your favorite movie in 2 channel, to see if it is something you can live with.  :thumb:

brother love

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:54 pm »
I pretty much agree with kingdeezie & Early B.

I went from a 2 channel audiophile system, to good quality 6.1 HT system , then back to a 2 ch audiophile system. Why? Because 2 channel music was more important to me than home theater.  I do use my 2 channel system for home theater.  The clarity & detail from separate preamp/ amp/ better quality speakers without bloated, boomy bass makes for a superior home theater experience for me personally.

Save your Denon receiver, but buy the best 2 channel dac/preamp/amp system you can afford based around the Salk Songtowers (or whatever speakers you settle on). If you deem necessary after living with the new 2 ch rig awhile, add a cheap center channel speaker & sub with Denon recvr incl. bypass to main speakers. 

To each their own though. It's your money & enjoyment thereof, so get whatever fits your wants/ needs.

h2o8polo

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:04 am »
You could have the SongTowers and something like a brand new Rogue Audio Cronus integrated. The integrated has a built in phono stage, and a head phone output.

Or, you could buy something like the Rogue Audio Sphinx, and a solid DAC, and really have some great sound. Great 2 Channel, and good HT.

So are you saying that by even introducing the AVR acting as a purely a passthrough, would degrade the sound quality significantly? (Asking honestly, because I don't know). Since my plan is to do almost exactly what you suggest, but in step 3. My thought was if I got a turntable first, I could at least listen to vinyl (even if it's not amazing) and then upgrade with a dedicated amp/preamp, etc.

h2o8polo

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:10 am »
Even though the Outlaw 975 has analog inputs I don't use mine as a pre-amp for the record player, CD/music streamer, or FM tuner - I just use it for movies and TV so I don't know how it sounds or revealing it is with more delicate material, with bombastic video sounds it works great.
I like outlaw, and that will be on my list for step 5.

Do you have separate rooms for your HT and Music? From my perusal of your systems, it seems you use the same mains for both. What brings these two systems together, or are they completely separate, and you do something like swap speaker cables for the two systems when using each. 

Some pre-amp/receivers, but not all, have phono pre-amps built in otherwise you are going to need another box.

Yeah, I realize this. My journey to get a turntable will be a long one, with plenty of dedicated research and surrounding purchases such as a phono pre-amp.

h2o8polo

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:19 am »
Save your Denon receiver, but buy the best 2 channel dac/preamp/amp system you can afford based around the Salk Songtowers (or whatever speakers you settle on). If you deem necessary after living with the new 2 ch rig awhile, add a cheap center channel speaker & sub with Denon recvr incl. bypass to main speakers. 
That is largely what my plan was, so I am a little confused and may be missing something, or may have poorly described it. Step 1 - 3 are about building a good 2 channel system, based on the front 2 (or 3) speakers even if it is sacrificing my HT. After that, add in another amp to power the rest of my HT, remove the AVR and switch to something like the outlaw 975 to have decent HT.

Are you simply suggesting that before i spend money on center/surround, i should buy a 2 channel amp and complete step 3 (maybe 2) before buying center/surround speakers?

kingdeezie

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:19 am »
So are you saying that by even introducing the AVR acting as a purely a passthrough, would degrade the sound quality significantly? (Asking honestly, because I don't know). Since my plan is to do almost exactly what you suggest, but in step 3. My thought was if I got a turntable first, I could at least listen to vinyl (even if it's not amazing) and then upgrade with a dedicated amp/preamp, etc.

All receivers, and even some really expensive processors, are a sonic compromise.

This is my experience, but I once was where you are. I had a Pioneer Elite receiver that was somewhere around 1500 dollars when I bought it. It had a phono preamp, and I used it for a time with my turntable. I used external amplifiers, Odysseys at the time I believe.

One of my single biggest HOLY COW audio moments, was when I replaced that receiver with a $900 dollar tube preamp. It wasn't even a competition.

That started my move away from HT, and my obsession with spending way to much on 2-channel gear. Not much since however, regardless of what I have spent, compared to that drastic change in sound quality.

The receiver was lifeless, gray, dynamic less, and granular compared to the tube preamp. Keep in mind this was using the same amplifiers. Also keep in mind, at the time, I was using speakers that were not nearly as good as the Songtowers.

Passthrough on a receiver, still goes through its analog section (not so great). The passthrough just bypasses the receivers digital processing efforts.

Where are you located? I would look on the Salk board, and see if you could find someone using Songtowers in a 2 Channel HT setup.

I have some Exotica 3s in a 2 channel HT setup, if you are local.

Goodluck!

srb

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:30 am »
This is how I might spend an HT 5.0 speaker budget:

Front:    Supercharged SongTowers
Center:  Supercharged SongCenter
Rear:     Pioneer SP-B22-LR  /  NHT SuperZero 2.1  /  etc.

No center channel (phantom center channel) is fine if you're alone sitting dead center or with a group of people and they're all sitting on your lap.  Otherwise anyone sitting to the side hears dialogue coming from the side and not from the actors on the screen which, for me, reduces realism and effect.

I would get decent, but low cost speakers for the rear.

You could certainly use the Energys as surrounds, but if their location is somewhat close to your seating position you might be happier with 1" silk soft dome tweeters.

Steve

h2o8polo

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:46 am »
All receivers, and even some really expensive processors, are a sonic compromise.

This is my experience, but I once was where you are. I had a Pioneer Elite receiver that was somewhere around 1500 dollars when I bought it. It had a phono preamp, and I used it for a time with my turntable. I used external amplifiers, Odysseys at the time I believe.

One of my single biggest HOLY COW audio moments, was when I replaced that receiver with a $900 dollar tube preamp. It wasn't even a competition.

That started my move away from HT, and my obsession with spending way to much on 2-channel gear. Not much since however, regardless of what I have spent, compared to that drastic change in sound quality.

The receiver was lifeless, gray, dynamic less, and granular compared to the tube preamp. Keep in mind this was using the same amplifiers. Also keep in mind, at the time, I was using speakers that were not nearly as good as the Songtowers.

Passthrough on a receiver, still goes through its analog section (not so great). The passthrough just bypasses the receivers digital processing efforts.

Where are you located? I would look on the Salk board, and see if you could find someone using Songtowers in a 2 Channel HT setup.

I have some Exotica 3s in a 2 channel HT setup, if you are local.

Goodluck!

Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted to know. It now seems that I might need to simplify and look at 2 separate systems. Keeping a tube pre-amp and amplifier separate, and then maybe just let the denon live on.

Follow up question. In an effort to not drive my wife absolutely crazy, is there a way to connect this to sacrifice HT, but not require me to plug/unplug speaker cables every time we switch from TV/HT to Music? I have seen audio cable switches, would that work? Could i send the L/R channels of my HT into the tube pre-amp and just accept it will sound different? Am I completely up shit creek with this one?

kingdeezie

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:55 am »
Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted to know. It now seems that I might need to simplify and look at 2 separate systems. Keeping a tube pre-amp and amplifier separate, and then maybe just let the denon live on.

Follow up question. In an effort to not drive my wife absolutely crazy, is there a way to connect this to sacrifice HT, but not require me to plug/unplug speaker cables every time we switch from TV/HT to Music? I have seen audio cable switches, would that work? Could i send the L/R channels of my HT into the tube pre-amp and just accept it will sound different? Am I completely up shit creek with this one?

Easy solution. Some preamps have what is called "HT" or "Cinema" Bypass.

You connect the preamp L/R outputs of your receiver into the HT bypass input of your preamp.

When set to the HT Bypass input, the signal is passed, untouched, to the amplifiers that proceed your preamp. The volume is now controlled by the receiver.

No cable switching needed.

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:22 am »
Absolutely. Getting "good quality music" is incompatible with an HT system. It's not designed to do that. And you want to throw vinyl in there, too? No freakin' way!

That's hogwash, I have always had an all-in-one system since the Hi-Fi Stereo VCR days (matrix 4 channel) that produced excellent sound for analog, digital media and movies.

The only drawback is my configurations have not been exactly what most would call user friendly:

Stereo
Turntable --> phono pre-amp --> Input #1 AVA Fet Valve pre-amp --> Synergy 450 stereo amp --> Salk
Tuner -->  Input #2 AVA Fet Valve pre-amp --> Synergy 450 stereo amp --> Salk
Digital -->  Input #3 AVA Fet Valve pre-amp --> Synergy 450 stereo amp --> Salk

Home Theater
Oppo Blu-ray HDMI --> Outlaw 975
TV HDMI --> Outlaw 975
Media Computer HDMI --> Outlaw 975

The Oultaw's two front channels line out go into Input #4 AVA Fet Valve pre-amp (turned up about 2/3rds) (HT Bypass would work too) --> AVA Synergy 450 --> Salk HT2-TL.
The Outlaw's center and rear line out go directly into an AVA 240/3 Insight amp --> Raw Acoustics with the Aurum Cantus ribbon center speaker and home made surrounds.
The sub is plugged into the Outlaw and not used for stereo.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2015, 04:51 am »
I'd second (or third or whatever) the advice about a good preamp or integrated amp with a HT bypass function if you want to integrate HT w/ 2 channel.  But really if you don't mind just having two sets of speaker cable for the main L/R speakers, and switch between the the pairs depending on whether HT or 2 channel system use, that would be best. 

As kingdeezie said previously , I also have a highly rated $1600 (new) Marantz AV7005 pre-pro, and a 15+ year old $750 used Conrad Johnson PV10 tube preamp decimated it for 2 channel listening, even otherwise using the same amp, sources, speakers, cables and all.  And the Marantz HT gear is supposed to be the most "musical" and suited for music vs HT.  So ultimately I ended up running separate HT & 2 channel system in the same rack and two sets of speaker cables switch back and forth as the need arose.  Not too arduous really with banana plugs on the speaker end of the cables. 

So I'd say just keep your existing gear for HT, get whatever main speakers you like best (hopefully auditioning before buying), then focus on some decent source gear (TT / digital), and lastly on perhaps some decent 2 channel integrated amp until your ready or have the money to start upgrading.

On the source side you haven't mentioned specifically what you listen to most or what your using, but I'm assuming it's the PS4 for CD and music service streaming to the Denon and using the Denon internal DAC. If you do a lot of digital listening I'd suggest a good quality starter streamer / dac / music server will be the upcoming Auralic Aries Mini @ around $400, which should come out in September some time.

On the vinyl side the most popular choice under $500 is the Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC, but if you have up to $1600 to spend & want something that you can grow into and won't feel the need to upgrade quickly, I'd suggest the Clearaudio Concept turntable w/ it's included Concept MM cartridge & some kind of decent phono stage (Clearaudio has some good ones as well). Resist the temptation to skimp out too much on the phono stage : it's important!  There's more gain often applied at the phono stage level than preamp + amp combined - so you can see how important it is to guaranteeing the best of that low level signal coming from the cartridge!

Best of luck & hope that helps!