We're an American band?

charmerci

Re: We're an American band?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jul 2017, 04:50 pm »
There's the story where when the Monkees were hugely popular - Jimi Hendrix opened for them and he was booed off the stage!  :lol: 

The Monkees loved him but obviously Jimi was not loved by the target audience - teeny boppers! (When the last time anyone used that term!)

OzarkTom

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jul 2017, 05:33 pm »
There's the story where when the Monkees were hugely popular - Jimi Hendrix opened for them and he was booed off the stage!  :lol: 

The Monkees loved him but obviously Jimi was not loved by the target audience - teeny boppers! (When the last time anyone used that term!)

Prince opened for the Stones and was booed off stage.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/prince-booed-rolling-stones/

dflee

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jul 2017, 07:15 pm »
Jimmy did seven shows opening for the Monkees. One of those shows
was in Greensboro, NC and he was not booed off stage. My wife was in
attendance and says he got a pretty good ovation and a lot of folks
thought he was the better act.

Don

mav52

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jul 2017, 08:25 pm »
I would say of course there is no right or wrong answer,  my choices, Beach Boys, CCR and Grand Funk Railroad that actually performed We're an American Band"

Slam

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jul 2017, 10:29 pm »
Another vote for the Grateful Dead here

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jul 2017, 12:01 am »
The Beach Boys for sure. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Eagles and the Doors. Then of course who could forget Fleetwood Mac, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band and The Band to name a few.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #26 on: 7 Jul 2017, 11:12 pm »

Well, the results of the AudioCircle's extremely professional and comprehensive First Annual 4th of July American Rock Band survey are in, the votes carefully reviewed, studied and tallied.

You, the faithful and the stout-hearted AudioCirclers -the collective Voice of America - have chosen as the band best representing the US as 'America's Rock Band' ... Foghat! Yes, Foghat, a little surprising but there it is, survey results don't lie, Foghat has been voted as America's Rock Band!

At first I was puzzled by the results until I recalled that Hildegard von Bingen, a 12th-century early Metal enthusiast, predicted that "rebellious musicks are best worn lyke   a cap lite as mist" and the hearing of such emboldened music "makes the spirit of man cheerful.” Well, that certainly sounds like Foghat to me.

Congratulations Foghat, America's Rock Band. Rock on!

Still, a bit surprising ... not even on my short list.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #27 on: 7 Jul 2017, 11:48 pm »

Well, the results of the AudioCircle's extremely professional and comprehensive First Annual 4th of July American Rock Band survey are in, the votes carefully reviewed, studied and tallied.

You, the faithful and the stout-hearted AudioCirclers -the collective Voice of America - have chosen as the band best representing the US as 'America's Rock Band' ... Foghat! Yes, Foghat, a little surprising but there it is, survey results don't lie, Foghat has been voted as America's Rock Band!

At first I was puzzled by the results until I recalled that Hildegard von Bingen, a 12th-century early Metal enthusiast, predicted that "rebellious musicks are best worn lyke   a cap lite as mist" and the hearing of such emboldened music "makes the spirit of man cheerful.” Well, that certainly sounds like Foghat to me.

Congratulations Foghat, America's Rock Band. Rock on!

Still, a bit surprising ... not even on my short list.

I nearly sprayed a delicious IPA on my laptop screen when I read that! About as American as Yorkshire pudding  :lol:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 8 Jul 2017, 05:46 am »
I relate awesome bands to what was always playing at parties. For me either Van Halen or Boston was spinning when there was a kegger going on!!!

JakeJ

« Reply #29 on: 8 Jul 2017, 05:46 am »
I, too, almost sprayed whiskey all over my keyboard!  :rotflmao:

Nicely done, KP, nicely done!

Slam

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jul 2017, 11:41 am »
Fleetwood Mac is a British band as well.

JakeJ

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jul 2017, 12:09 pm »
Wiki says FM is an American/British band.

charmerci

« Reply #32 on: 8 Jul 2017, 07:24 pm »
Fleetwood Mac is a British band as well.

Wiki says FM is an American/British band.

I think that once Nicks and Buckingham came on board, it made it's transition to an American band complete.

Doublej

« Reply #33 on: 8 Jul 2017, 07:54 pm »
Glen Miller?

bummrush

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jul 2017, 08:13 pm »
Grateful dead.  Posers. Far far from it

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jul 2017, 08:42 pm »
Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks.
Listen to the audience not get them in 1972:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBGeQ0zSifc

rockadanny

« Reply #36 on: 10 Jul 2017, 01:49 pm »
Many good answers, and some of the ones already mentioned I especially agree: CCR, Skynyrd, Allman Bros. Living further north of these fine bands, the first ones that popped into my noggin: Iggy and the Stooges, and Grand Funk Railroad (and not just because the title of the post suggests them, but I grew up near these guys, and the Stooges as well).

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #37 on: 10 Jul 2017, 01:54 pm »

Slam

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jul 2017, 08:58 pm »

I think that once Nicks and Buckingham came on board, it made it's transition to an American band complete.

Ok FM is 2/5 American. A bit iof a stretch IMHO but whatever floats your boat.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #39 on: 10 Jul 2017, 09:20 pm »
Asleep at the Wheel, anyone?