Why can't I use the buttons on the BDP-3 when there is no internet?

srb

Still trying to understand your setup and I should have determined early on what modem and router you have.  If in fact, as Marius surmises, you have an all-in-one "Gateway" (Modem + Router + Wi-Fi) from your ISP, what is the purpose and function of adding the Netgear router?

You shouldn't have both components acting as DHCP Servers, NAT (Network Address Translation) and Firewall, or you will run into problems.

If the reason for adding the Netgear router was for better WiFi coverage, you have two options:

Option 1:  Use the ISP gateway as a Modem only in Transparent Bridge Mode and use the Netgear router for all other functions - Routing, DHCP Server, Wired LAN Connections, WiFi Access Point and Firewall.

Option 2:  Use the Netgear router as a Wi-Fi Access Point only by disabling its DHCP Server and NAT functions and use the ISP Gateway for Routing, DHCP Server, Wired LAN Connections and Firewall.

Steve

Hoiman

hotspots are useless (4g is much better and safer)
Do you pay the 4G?

and lan 2-4 are on your own router.
But my router isn't in the neighbourhood of the 2 pc's that need this cable.

Hoiman

Option 2:  Use the Netgear router as a Wi-Fi Access Point only by disabling its DHCP Server and NAT functions and use the ISP Gateway for Routing, DHCP Server, Wired LAN Connections and Firewall.

Maybe this is an option, but I think I already tried this and with this I couldn't reach the HDD that was coupled to the BDP-3. But I will try this this weekend.

Marius

Do you pay the 4G?
Don’t think i understand your question but yes, I pay for my phone bill ;)
We all have multitudes of Gb data bundles  these days. Mine is 25 Gb now but even my kids have 6 with their 15 Euro per month at Ziggo

But my router isn't in the neighbourhood of the 2 pc's that need this cable.
So move one or 2 items. Or install a longer cable , or use an extender. Options galore. All better than using both the cable modem and your own router.
Cheers,
 Marius

« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2017, 07:59 pm by Marius »

Marius

Maybe this is an option, but I think I already tried this and with this I couldn't reach the HDD that was coupled to the BDP-3. But I will try this this weekend.

getting back to the topic of the front panel buttons: are you still not able to use them? I ask because even without internet and network connection at all, your BDP should be playing in 'man cave' option. Playing from attached HDD /thumb drives. If your not able to play these using the front panel buttons, something else might be wrong. Did your BDP build the full DB for example? Without that it won't play either. In case of issues i always load only one thumb with only a few tracks, so the BDP can play almost immediately, ruling out other issues.

Cheers,
Marius

Hoiman

getting back to the topic of the front panel buttons: are you still not able to use them?
If the network cable is in the BDP-3 and there is no internet/network, I can't use these buttons. But when I disconnect the cable from the BDP-3, the buttons are working again.

That's why I started this topic, because each time to get the cable off isn't very nice.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Er zijn een hoop niet gebruikte kabelbuizen in de muren van je woning, kijk maar boven in de meterkast. Even uitvogelen waar ze naar toe gaan, netwerkkabel erdoor trekken en je probleem is grotendeels opgelost. Ik heb overal netwerkkastjes in de muren zitten, allemaal zelf aangelegd.

Hoiman

Er zijn een hoop niet gebruikte kabelbuizen in de muren van je woning,

Helaas die zijn er niet, zijn allemaal al gebruikt. Van de week nog naar gekeken om een aparte stroomgroep te laten aanleggen voor alleen de audio maar dit gaat helaas niet.

Anonamemouse

Vaag... Jouw huis is jonger als ons huis... Ik had hier zeker 10 lege buizen.
Je kan ook door de buis van de telefoonkabel. Dat bijt elkaar niet.

Hoiman

Vaag... Jouw huis is jonger als ons huis... Ik had hier zeker 10 lege buizen.

Wij hebben ze allemaal al benut dat is de reden.
Telefoon is/was eventueel een idee al had de gene die hiernaar heeft gekeken het idee dat de Polen deze niet zo goed in de muur hadden gestopt waardoor het wellicht niet gaat lukken. Dit moeten we nog gaan proberen, maar indien het kan dan gaat hier waarschijnlijk stroom door heen omdat we dat harder nodig hebben.

Anonamemouse

Ksnappum...
Dan weet ik het ook effe niet. Misschien het Ziggo kastje uit de meterkast halen (is zowiezo zo'n beetje de slechtste plek voor dat ding) en op een betere plek hangen?

Marius

If the network cable is in the BDP-3 and there is no internet/network, I can't use these buttons. But when I disconnect the cable from the BDP-3, the buttons are working again.

That's why I started this topic, because each time to get the cable off isn't very nice.

just one bit more precise and to analyse whether only your Lan is faulty, or your BDP is too: when the cable is connected to the BDP alone (and not to your LAN devices) the buttons are also not functional? Or does this only occur when connected to your BDP and Lan (and consequently suffer form other faults in your installation, which should be remedied in the first place of course)

Other suggestion (though i'm still somewhat puzzled about your setup and think you might have to change things more drastically and the following suggestion should not be necessary): You might ask a qualified electrician to change the group of your Devolo, since as you describe this to be the cause of the bad connection in your Home Lan. I don't have any experience with the Devolo myself, but changing groups in the main board is rather simple and should be done in about 15 minutes.

Then follow Srb's option 2 and configure the router as an access-point.  A lot more sorting out to do, but doable.... it is indeed option 2. 1 is the preferable situation for many reasons.

Cheers,
Marius

Hoiman

Just had some time to take a look at the Netgear.
It was/is already on option mode (accesspoint mode). But this mode even needs a internet connection by cable and that is just the problem this connection by cable isn't trustfull enough because of the Devolo.

Also tried to use the Netgear without internet cable in it only by lan (so only wired), but the Netgear isn't accessable without internet (if it is I don't know how). Apperantly you can only connect to it when there is internet.

Marius

Just had some time to take a look at the Netgear.
It was/is already on option mode (accesspoint mode). But this mode even needs a internet connection by cable and that is just the problem this connection by cable isn't trustfull enough because of the Devolo.

Also tried to use the Netgear without internet cable in it only by lan (so only wired), but the Netgear isn't accessable without internet (if it is I don't know how). Apperantly you can only connect to it when there is internet.

Did you try to connect the netgear to the ziggo modem directly, with a lan cable out of the Ziggo port 1 into the netgear Wan port?

srb

Some models of Netgear wireless routers had a bug where putting the device in access point mode (via the Enable AP Mode checkbox) was problematic.  Some were addressed in firmware updates which is why I had asked if you had updated yours to the latest version.

On my older WNDR3700, putting into AP Mode had all kinds of problems - a wireless connection would disconnect after a few minutes.  Sometimes an incorrect DHCP address from the Netgear's default subnet (which my network wasn't even using!) would be handed out even though DHCP should have been completely disabled in AP Mode.

My solution was to disable AP Mode, and manually disable the DHCP Server under LAN settings and give the device a static IP Address on the LAN subnet.

In AP Mode, the WAN port is combined with the LAN ports as a 5-port switch, but when employing as an access point manually as I have done, you would use one of the LAN ports to connect it to your router.

I know several R7xxx models also had AP Mode problems but I can't specifically speak to your specific R7800 model.  But I would first make sure that firmware was the latest version, and if so, consider using it as an access point with the bug-prone AP Mode disabled and manually disabling the DHCP Server function.

Steve

Hoiman

Some models of Netgear wireless routers had a bug where putting the device in access point mode (via the Enable AP Mode checkbox) was problematic.  Some were addressed in firmware updates which is why I had asked if you had updated yours to the latest version.

Yes it has the latest firmware update.

srb

↓     ↓     ↓

..... and if so, consider using it as an access point with the bug-prone AP Mode disabled and manually disabling the DHCP Server function.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com

Have you tried the test builds?  Some changes where made to brystonpanel (front panel software) in the test builds.

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

Norton

FWIW with both my BDP 1 and 2 I have experienced a similar effect  over the years (including with a fairly recent test build) .  I use Devolo power line adapters  for Ethernet in my living room; if data communication is set to disabled in the devolo software, then after booting the BDPs will not playback from locally attached storage using the front panel controls either.  Not a real problem, but I've always been curious as to why this is.

Hoiman

Have you tried the test builds?  Some changes where made to brystonpanel (front panel software) in the test builds.

No not yet, sorry I'm to bussy and this isn't so important, I only was curious why the frontpanel is frozen when this happens. My work around now is to unplug the ethernetcable from the BDP-3.