The End Of Manic Moose

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
The End Of Manic Moose
« on: 31 Jul 2017, 04:11 pm »
We have stated on several occasions that we intend to perform a major overhaul of the firmware known as Nutty Narwhal, however we keep getting side tracked with adding features to Manic Moose.  We have decided to make a document outlining our final set of goals and are making a copy available to you for your feedback.  The details of this document are pretty light on description, but are all things that have been discussed in the past on this forum.  Please keep in mind we feel the currently set of goals are manageable, all suggestions are welcomed but we may put them off and use them Nutty Narwhal which will receive a similar document outlining its goals later this year.  As we have said in recent past Manic Moose will be the last official release for the BDP-1 hardware platform (that includes the BDP-1 and BDP-1USB).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kMdFIiesxN1StPus4eREw9v0rsDWrv4rwznb6LlYvq8/pub

Pundamilia

Re: The End Of Manic Moose
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2017, 02:24 pm »
Thanks for this Chris. It is interesting to see where Bryston is planning on going with this product line.

So will Nutty Narwhal be Bryston's first 64-bit software release? I assume then that anything newer (BDP-2, BDP-Pi,...) will support 64-bit software?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2017, 04:25 pm »
Thanks for this Chris. It is interesting to see where Bryston is planning on going with this product line.

So will Nutty Narwhal be Bryston's first 64-bit software release? I assume then that anything newer (BDP-2, BDP-Pi,...) will support 64-bit software?

You assume correct good sir, i've had a hell of time keep Manic Moose (MM) for x86 and arm in sync and really don't want to attempt to maintain three builds at once.  Also the BDP-1 has been really showing its age with MM so we want MM to be as good as it can for our BDP-1 users and move on.

Cheers,
Chris

Pundamilia

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2017, 05:06 pm »
really don't want to attempt to maintain three builds at once.

Thanks. I understand the challenges of version control on multiple builds. Better to simplify and focus on current development. Particularly when also juggling contradictory enhancement requests. :?

Keep up the good work.

gbaby

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2017, 02:28 pm »
Manic Moose is fine.  :o :cry:

Grant Hill

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2017, 02:49 pm »
so with BDP3 it will be necessary to use Nutty Narwhal. is there a app for use it with a a tablet or is the access via browser?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:52 pm »
I'm keeping Moose on my BDP.  :thumb:

No need for me to do any Nutty.  :scratch:

I'm paranoid about new OS's. (Haven't "upgraded iPhone or iPad iOS for 5 years+!!)  :nono:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:54 pm »
so with BDP3 it will be necessary to use Nutty Narwhal. is there a app for use it with a a tablet or is the access via browser?

Nutty Narwhal will be available on BDP-Pi, BDP-2 and BDP-3; however the BDP-3 should also see a performance boost as nutty narwhal will contain newer modules to take full advantage of its CPU and memory.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:55 pm »

I'm paranoid about new OS's. (Haven't "upgraded iPhone or iPad iOS for 5 years+!!)  :nono:

It won't be released until well into next year, possibly not until 2019.

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2017, 07:16 am »
Think about MQA. It is not a matter of rebuying music, as has been suggested, but having the capability of higher quality streaming.  If Bryston came out with accompanying hardware, with a trade-in upgrade option, I'm there.

Hoiman

« Reply #10 on: 5 Aug 2017, 09:20 am »
Think about MQA. It is not a matter of rebuying music, as has been suggested, but having the capability of higher quality streaming.  If Bryston came out with accompanying hardware, with a trade-in upgrade option, I'm there.

I hope Bryston doesn't give support to MQA.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 5 Aug 2017, 10:41 am »
We will not be supporting MQA at this point - there are just too many unanswered questions.

james

Pundamilia

« Reply #12 on: 5 Aug 2017, 01:56 pm »
+1 :thumb:

Another flavour of the month foisted  on us.

gbaby

« Reply #13 on: 5 Aug 2017, 04:40 pm »

Agreed.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2017, 05:07 pm »
Think about MQA.

Trying my damned best not to..... :banghead:

gbaby

« Reply #15 on: 7 Aug 2017, 04:01 pm »
Trying my damned best not to..... :banghead:

They are putting MQA on CDs now. :o Still, I have no interest.