Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2180 on: 2 Aug 2017, 03:30 pm »
Is it possible that after a search, that you see where the music is comming from? I mean that you can see in which directory it is stored.

+1, long standing question.
Would be wonderful to have a hover pop up with the file- path . Not only in a search result btw, also in artist-view, where files not necessarily are stored in the same directory, and virtually ordered on tag artist.

you do know about the I(info) button top right next to the gear icon? Clicking that shows the path to the currently playing file, amongst other useful info.

Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2181 on: 2 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm »

HI Pete,
Just out of curiosity, please define v.l.

One of my longer lists /folder structures is about 109 entries. Very manageable without the dropdown.
Cheers,Marius

Very large libraries, my friend.

Now back to Apocalypse Now -- Ride of the Valkyries above Cambodia!!

hojotoho....
 :lol:

Marius

« Reply #2182 on: 3 Aug 2017, 07:40 am »
Very large libraries, my friend.

Now back to Apocalypse Now -- Ride of the Valkyries above Cambodia!!

hojotoho....
 :lol:

Not much to laugh about in that movie. Frightening it is.

Back to Bryston: though I'm not a native speaker, and Brünnhilde can be the distraction to forget all else, I got that abb ;)

My point was when will you call it very large? Ymmv.
If one weren't fully depending on the tags ordering things virtually, and filed all albums in one big repository, i would assume anyone to have subfolders, logically arranged. In that case, I can't imagine any folder growing larger than say 150 items/subfolders, or entries in the MM file list for that matter. A new subfolder would be preferable.

In my experience I find stuff I'm looking for in a folder that large in 1 swipe. MM is very fluid and smooth. Just as fast as having the intermediate action of browsing the alphabet dropdown (always have trouble clicking the correct letter :duh: ), and then clicking the wanted item. When I'm just feeling lucky, and browse my library without any clear thought of what I want to hear, the dropdown is of no use in the first place.

Also, and Chris that might be able to perfect that, the Dropdown also shows letters without having an item for that letter. Leaving a click on that pointless letter without any action. Maybe empty letters could be grayed out, or just not shown?

Be safe,
Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2183 on: 5 Aug 2017, 09:07 pm »

Also, and Chris that might be able to perfect that, the Dropdown also shows letters without having an item for that letter. Leaving a click on that pointless letter without any action. Maybe empty letters could be grayed out, or just not shown?

Be safe,
Cheers,
Marius

Chris, Thanks !!

Doesn’t work on all listings yet though. Check for example my root, only these 4 subfolders and still the full alphabet in the dropdown.
Quick analysis seems to indicate that only folders with actual albums containing songs work correctly. All other folders don’t just yet.

Cheers Marius
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2017, 10:18 pm by Marius »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2184 on: 5 Aug 2017, 11:27 pm »
A certain number of headers need to be generated before it'll take effect, 4 or 5 I think

doveman

« Reply #2185 on: 6 Aug 2017, 03:46 am »
FWIW, I had similar issues with my BDP-1 locking up (with no Jitterbug). I never did get a satisfactory explanation. I moved to a BDP-2 and have never had the problem since, which leads me to believe that it may be a memory or processor overload issue. i seem to recall the memory utilization being 98% shortly before the BDP-1 hung.

Given that the only reasonable explanation seems to be that the later versions of MM are just too much for the BDP1 specs, is there an archive where you can locate earlier versions of MM, so you can try out the major releases and pick one that works best?

I remember about a year ago where I was having no issues at all, my BDP1 would run for months on end without issue, I think it was a release starting with 2016.

Is this possible, as I don't use any advanced features and only have the bare basis activated, USB, samba, mpd, etc.

Marius

« Reply #2186 on: 6 Aug 2017, 04:34 pm »
A certain number of headers need to be generated before it'll take effect, 4 or 5 I think

Not here, I’ve 2’folders with 6 and 8 subfolders and they show the full alpha-dropdown.

Cheers
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #2187 on: 6 Aug 2017, 07:52 pm »
This issue seems to be with the new Dashboard view AND the Default View. With the Artist View, the track ordering is correct, as seen with the same album in the image below:

And... it seems to be limited to MP3 files. I even tried re-writing the ID3 tags using version 2.3 instead of 2.4 - no difference. Every album of MP3s I have presents this defect in the new Dashboard and Default view, but track indexes are correct in the Artist view.

XMAN

« Reply #2188 on: 8 Aug 2017, 03:03 am »
S2.35 2017-08-04

Mouse wheel doesn't work when viewing booklets and sometimes very slow to load (ie wheel of death) in artist view.  No track number after 99.

« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2017, 05:28 am by XMAN »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2189 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:21 pm »
And... it seems to be limited to MP3 files. I even tried re-writing the ID3 tags using version 2.3 instead of 2.4 - no difference. Every album of MP3s I have presents this defect in the new Dashboard and Default view, but track indexes are correct in the Artist view.

Eventually we'll either offer an option to attempt enforcing this format or just enforce this format, should be part of S2.38

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2190 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:23 pm »
S2.35 2017-08-04

Mouse wheel doesn't work when viewing booklets and sometimes very slow to load (ie wheel of death) in artist view.  No track number after 99.

i honestly though 99 was a high enough number, clearly I was mistaken

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2191 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:43 pm »
Not here, I’ve 2’folders with 6 and 8 subfolders and they show the full alpha-dropdown.

Cheers
Marius

But their is a criteria for the dropdown menu to be relevant which i believe is something like 20 items, i don't believe anyone would bother to use it with a few items in the list.  We'll do some more work on it this week.

Marius

« Reply #2192 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:51 pm »
But their is a criteria for the dropdown menu to be relevant which i believe is something like 20 items, i don't believe anyone would bother to use it with a few items in the list.  We'll do some more work on it this week.

Hi Chris
I must have misunderstood but I replied to your post mentioning the need for 4 or 5 headers ?

I agree with you on the need for the drop down, but since it is there, also in smaller listings, it would make sense to make it consistent in al places, no matter the count in the listing.

Cheers
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2193 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:55 pm »
Given that the only reasonable explanation seems to be that the later versions of MM are just too much for the BDP1 specs, is there an archive where you can locate earlier versions of MM, so you can try out the major releases and pick one that works best?

I remember about a year ago where I was having no issues at all, my BDP1 would run for months on end without issue, I think it was a release starting with 2016.

Is this possible, as I don't use any advanced features and only have the bare basis activated, USB, samba, mpd, etc.

The new features are turned off by default and its these features that can stress the BDP-1, leaving the features off should allow the BDP to operate properly.  I personally havn't noticed any issues with the BDP-1 and the only thing i'm aware of is an inconsistent bug with the TIDAL web interface, but that isn't BDP-1 specific.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2194 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:56 pm »
Hi Chris
I must have misunderstood but I replied to your post mentioning the need for 4 or 5 headers ?

I agree with you on the need for the drop down, but since it is there, also in smaller listings, it would make sense to make it consistent in al places, no matter the count in the listing.

Cheers
Marius

Both criteria would need to be met, i might simply hide the drop down menu if there aren't any of the headers.  Again i'll take a look at it later this week when i return to work.

Marius

« Reply #2195 on: 8 Aug 2017, 07:00 pm »
Both criteria would need to be met, i might simply hide the drop down menu if there aren't any of the headers.  Again i'll take a look at it later this week when i return to work.

:thumb:
Thanks

XMAN

« Reply #2196 on: 12 Aug 2017, 12:24 am »
with S2.35 2017-08-11
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-48

Some of my artist won't load its says can't find data file

i'm also getting "DB crash detected"

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2017, 10:34 pm by XMAN »

Marius

« Reply #2197 on: 14 Aug 2017, 09:35 am »
with S2.35 2017-08-11
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-48

Some of my artist won't load its says can't find data file

i'm also getting "DB crash detected"

Any ideas?

too big a library? still a possibility  the BDP-2 , i believe over 60K tracks?

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2198 on: 14 Aug 2017, 11:50 am »

Chris, a big thanks!

Cheers,
Marius

XMAN

« Reply #2199 on: 14 Aug 2017, 02:14 pm »

too big a library? still a possibility  the BDP-2 , i believe over 60K tracks?

Cheers,
Marius

No it's not the library size it worked ok in the last build.