Linked Events

• New York Audio Show, September 26-28, 2014: 26 Sep 2014 - 28 Sep 2014

New York Audio Show, September 26-28, 2014

ServerAdmin

New York Audio Show, September 26-28, 2014
« on: 7 Sep 2014, 01:30 pm »
New York Audio Show, http://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow/2014

September 26-28, 2014, at the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge Hotel.

tonyptony

Re: New York Audio Show, September 26-28, 2014
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2014, 10:54 pm »
For myself, I'm a little unhappy that The Chester Group moved this show from April. Now it's only two weeks away from RMAF, making it tough for both visitors and exhibitors, and on top of that it's in Brooklyn! I know the metro area well. Parking and just getting around by car is going to be a b!tch compared to when it was in Manhattan. In the past couple of years I was happy to go to both NYAS and RMAF; they were nicely spaced and the NY show is very convenient for me. But I'm one person who's decided to pass on NYAS this year. Sorry to say.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:17 pm »
If  here someone sees Sony there, ask them when the vtuner, Internet radio, will be back online.

Thank you!

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:35 pm »
Cheer up Tony.  I bet they move the date next year.  This year several major local audio dealers (Sound by Singer, EarsNova, and Stereo Exchange) will not be participating because the show dates coincide with Rosh Hashanah.  There was a letter to the Editor in the October issue of Stereophile. Bet they won't make that scheduling mistake again.  :duh:

For myself, I'm a little unhappy that The Chester Group moved this show from April. Now it's only two weeks away from RMAF, making it tough for both visitors and exhibitors, and on top of that it's in Brooklyn! I know the metro area well. Parking and just getting around by car is going to be a b!tch compared to when it was in Manhattan. In the past couple of years I was happy to go to both NYAS and RMAF; they were nicely spaced and the NY show is very convenient for me. But I'm one person who's decided to pass on NYAS this year. Sorry to say.

sfox7076

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2014, 08:42 pm »
I live in Brooklyn (in the area).  That isn't bad.  The real reason this show stinks this year is that it is on Rosh Hashanah.  Yeah, W-F it is no go, so a bunch of dealers couldn't go.  Oh, and did I mention it is UN week here in NYC?  Sigh.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2014, 10:30 pm »
I live in Brooklyn (in the area).  That isn't bad.  The real reason this show stinks this year is that it is on Rosh Hashanah.  Yeah, W-F it is no go, so a bunch of dealers couldn't go.  Oh, and did I mention it is UN week here in NYC?  Sigh.

:scratch: Shawn I understand your point about the holidays because I observe them also but...don't you live a 5 minutes from there ? Or did you move ?

Evan

Occam

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:38 pm »
Truth be told, the Priestly/Rabbinical authorities of yore were horologicaly challenged. They simply weren't sure of the proper, single day (from sundown to sundown) to celebrate the beginning of the High Holy Days.
http://ohr.edu/holidays/rosh_hashana_and_yom_kippur/quizes/1229
Why, even in Israel, are there two days of Rosh Hashanah, whereas other festivals in Israel are celebrated for only one day?
Before our current exile, we did not have a fixed calendar as we do today. Rather, the Supreme Torah court in Jerusalem determined our calendar on a month to month basis. They did this on the first day of every month, based on witnesses testifying that they had seen the new moon. Therefore, the people outside Israel had insufficient time to find out the exact date in time for the festivals. The "two-day festival" arose to correct this situation. In Israel, however, the people lived close enough to Jerusalem to find out the exact date of all the festivals except Rosh Hashanah. Since Rosh Hashanah occurs on the first day of the month, even those living in Jerusalem sometimes needed to observe it for two days, if the witnesses failed to arrive.

You can't make this stuff up....
The proper single day of Rosh Hashanna is Wed Sept 24th sundown to Thurs Sept 25th sundown. Even the most frum can't fault you for going to the show on Friday.

Occam

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:56 pm »
Please stop by in room 388 -
http://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow/2014/exhibitors/wes-bender-studio

and room 318 -
http://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow/2014/exhibitors/alta-audio

Both rooms will feature a complete power and analog signal loom of Waveform Fidelity cables and power conditioning.
Also, both are the only rooms with Stillpoint isolators, racks and Apature Sound panels, as well as other excellent kit.

See you there!

sfox7076

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2014, 12:05 am »
I do live 5 minutes away and will go Sunday.  I was pointing out the dealers who cannot load in on Thursday.  Me not going is of little concern.  The issue is the missing dealers I want to see. 
Of course now everything is tradition.  My wife and I have a Kosher home.  It's all tradition and intent, nothing more.

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2014, 07:46 pm »
I do live 5 minutes away and will go Sunday.  I was pointing out the dealers who cannot load in on Thursday.  Me not going is of little concern.  The issue is the missing dealers I want to see. 
Of course now everything is tradition.  My wife and I have a Kosher home.  It's all tradition and intent, nothing more.

The NY dealers are having their own shows on the same three days, just like the previous few years.  Stereo Exchange, Ears Nova and Singer will all be open with brand representatives present.  I'll make a side trip on one of the days to Stereo Exchange because I have to talk to Mark or Nick of Rogue Audio.  The excuse of the Jewish New Year and the letter written to Stereophile is a sham.  Have fun on Sunday as the rooms should be "dialed in."

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2014, 08:25 pm »
Sounds like those dealers are making their non-Jewish employees work.  :peek:

Then again, they don't need much prep time if they are just showing off their already set-up showrooms.

tonyptony

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2014, 11:26 pm »
Cheer up Tony.  I bet they move the date next year.

I can only hope. There must be other shows in the April timeframe that caused Chester Group to change it, but it seems if that was the case it's ironic they moved it two weeks away from what is among the biggest enthusiast audio shows in the country. :dunno:

ltr317

« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2014, 06:02 pm »
I can only hope. There must be other shows in the April timeframe that caused Chester Group to change it, but it seems if that was the case it's ironic they moved it two weeks away from what is among the biggest enthusiast audio shows in the country. :dunno:

It would be best if someone else takes over the show from the Chester Group.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2014, 08:23 pm »
It takes $$$ and industry connections to do this.

It would be best if someone else takes over the show from the Chester Group.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2014, 09:27 pm »

Hugh,
You da man!!!  :thumb:

You got my support!

Pete

ltr317

« Reply #15 on: 25 Sep 2014, 10:31 pm »

Yes, I know.  There are enough people staging the other audio shows to take over if one of them desires to do so.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #16 on: 26 Sep 2014, 12:27 am »
Pete,

You are too kind.

I could but I'd rather take over THE Show Newport Beach. :)
Hugh,
You da man!!!  :thumb:

You got my support!

Pete

SET Man

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:43 am »
Hey!

Well, I had quite a day at the show today. The show is smaller this year for sure. You can pretty much see the whole show in one day.

Anyway, it is getting late but here are some of the room I liked today...

Audio Note UK by setpower1, on Flickr

Audio Note UK, I've seen them at a few show now and I always like what I've heard in their room. The system won't blow you away nor is will wow you with big bass and etc. But they somehow always seems to do that emotional factor well. Yes, I do own an Audio Note component, the M1 Phono preamp that I bought back in 1997 and I still use it.

Wes Bender Studio NYC by setpower1, on Flickr

Wes Bender Studio NYC by setpower1, on Flickr

_DSC4050 by setpower1, on Flickr

Wes Bender Studio NYC, love the Townshend Audio Rock 7 turntable. The system with those Marten sound nice and they usually have good music on. This time they have bigger Marten there and they fill the room nicely.

Sony by setpower1, on Flickr

Nelson Pass VFET Amp by setpower1, on Flickr

Sony by setpower1, on Flickr

Yes, Sony! Those Sony speakers paired with very special amp from Pass Lab using vintage "VFET" transistors sounded really nice. Very detailed but smooth and yes reminded me a bit of that liquidity of tube. The rep told me that there are only 6 (or was it 6 pairs?) of those amps in the world. And they are not for sale! I think Sony should start making those VFET transistor again.

And best sound at show for me so far?.....

Focal Audio by setpower1, on Flickr

Live music!

Anyway, there are more stuff but it is getting late so here are some of the pics from the show...

Naim and Focal by setpower1, on Flickr

Tannoy and VPI by setpower1, on Flickr

_DSC3962 by setpower1, on Flickr

_DSC3914 by setpower1, on Flickr

MBL by setpower1, on Flickr

Nola Speaker by setpower1, on Flickr

Well, guys I've got to get some sleep now. I will go to the show again tomorrow for a few hours. I missed a few rooms there today.

Here's the link to my show pictures from today on my flickr....

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk4ouEeH

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2014, 04:11 am by SET Man »

Emil

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2014, 11:14 am »
The NY dealers are having their own shows on the same three days, just like the previous few years.  Stereo Exchange, Ears Nova and Singer will all be open with brand representatives present.  I'll make a side trip on one of the days to Stereo Exchange because I have to talk to Mark or Nick of Rogue Audio.  The excuse of the Jewish New Year and the letter written to Stereophile is a sham.  Have fun on Sunday as the rooms should be "dialed in."

Convenient excuse but understandable.
Why spend the money  for a room when someone can just cross the river and visit the showrooms.

Speaking of scheduling faux pas, I remember Stereophile scheduling one of their shows on Mother's Day weekend :scratch:

Thanks for the pics SETman :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2014, 12:48 pm »
Hey SETman, if you have time today, ask Sony when the internet radio is coming back on, if ever.

And thanks for the pics of the show.