DAC Me!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
DAC Me!
« on: 3 Jan 2013, 01:02 am »
I need a DAC and have precisely zero experience with them outside of what comes built into devices such as CD players. I’m building a CAPS-3 server and will have to have a DAC to pull it all together.

I’ve read until I’m turning blue. Reviews, manufacturer info, and whatever Google leads me to. There are MANY possibilities in the sub $1K (my budget) arena as well as emerging technologies which, to be honest, I don’t know how to judge.

It looks to me like digital mass storage and playback for home audio is really hitting its stride and products are proliferating at a quick pace.

I don’t mind used, but get more than a couple of years old and it appears that it’s yesterday’s technology, so I’m leery.

In the new realm it looks like some new products are offering a lot of bang for buck. Ifi looks interesting, one could get into an iUSB and iDAC for way under my budget. Also the yet to become available ASUS Essence One Muses looks to have promise.

I guess this is a plea for any guidance you can offer or similar experiences you found a happy resolution for. The bottom line for me, I suppose, is bang for the bucks I have to spend. Pretty isn’t high on the priority list, nor is brand name cachet. 

I’m typically not one to ask for hand holding but I guess that’s what I’m doing.

Help me through the maze before my head explodes!

Amp will be Eastern Electric Integrated, speakers Northcreek Rhythms.

Thanks, Peter

wisnon

Re: DAC Me!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2013, 01:15 am »
iFi is the way to go. And with the savings, get their Gemini USB cable coming out in late Jan.

matevana

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2013, 01:39 am »
I'm currently in the market in for a DAC at or around $500, and I like the following units for different reasons, after doing much research.

I ranked them according to my preference, based on my own listening experience.

1) Schiit Bifrost ($349 new w/o USB, $449 new w/USB; asynch and full 24/192 support)
2) PS Audio Digital Link III (used, around $350 - $400)
3) Parasound ZDac ($475 new)

A few other highly rated DACs that I did not enjoy as much as I expected:

1) Peachtree DacIt
2) Micromega MyDac
3) Emotiva XDA-2

To be fair, I have heard all 6 of the above DAC's but in different listening environments which could easily trump the more subtle differences between them. My impression is based on overall SQ issues (stage width and depth, timbre, weight, slam, detail, etc.) and less on construction or features. I listened to all 6 via SPDIF and about half with both SPDIF and USB. All sounded slightly better via SPDIF while the DL III actually sounded better via USB, which I admit is a bit odd.

wisnon

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2013, 12:17 am »

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2013, 01:07 am »

To be fair, I have heard all 6 of the above DAC's but in different listening environments which could easily trump the more subtle differences between them.

IMHO, if you don't listen to them in the same system it's pretty much a waste of time, you are judging the system they are in, not the DAC's.

BTW, I bought the ifi, it's in the mail  :D

Randy

K Shep

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2013, 01:39 am »
I'm currently in the market in for a DAC at or around $500, and I like the following units for different reasons, after doing much research.

I ranked them according to my preference, based on my own listening experience.

1) Schiit Bifrost ($349 new w/o USB, $449 new w/USB; asynch and full 24/192 support)
2) PS Audio Digital Link III (used, around $350 - $400)
3) Parasound ZDac ($475 new)

A few other highly rated DACs that I did not enjoy as much as I expected:

1) Peachtree DacIt
2) Micromega MyDac
3) Emotiva XDA-2

To be fair, I have heard all 6 of the above DAC's but in different listening environments which could easily trump the more subtle differences between them. My impression is based on overall SQ issues (stage width and depth, timbre, weight, slam, detail, etc.) and less on construction or features. I listened to all 6 via SPDIF and about half with both SPDIF and USB. All sounded slightly better via SPDIF while the DL III actually sounded better via USB, which I admit is a bit odd.

My new Schiit MODI arrived yesterday.  At $99 for USB async you can't go wrong.  I also own a Bryston BDA-1 and Parasounds new Z-dac.
The MODI holds it's own.

abernardi

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2013, 06:17 am »
First of all, you're right, there are way too many choices.  :scratch:  I'm definitely a used gear guy, but there is some new gear I would consider and am considering:

NEW:

Audio-gd - LOVE this company. For about $1000, I'd take a serious look at the Reference 5.32.  Just go to his website.  You think you're confused now  :lol:

Another avenue I've been considering is the Oppo 105 for about $1200.  Even though this is a DVD universal player, it will also function as a stand-alone DAC.  It has an ESS Sabre based DAC and from what I've read it can hold it's own with other good DACs.  I'm particularly interested in the ModWright mod.  I think that may be another 2K, but now you've got premium parts and good POWER which is essential for a good DAC.  This is one box that will cover a lot of bases.

USED:

I think you can find excellent DACs from the last 2 - 3 years that will hold their own.  You might not get a good USB receiver but there are ways around that.  I use a Stello U3 USB/SPDIF converter and I'd put that up against almost any USB receiver out there. 

You mentioned the Link III.  I noticed one with a Cullen stage 3 mod used the other day and I've heard that approaches the quality of the PerfectWave.

Hunt around and you can find something great.  Actually, I think I'm about to sell a custom made DAC based on the Sabre chip.  I bought it from a guy here on AC but my speakers are a little too bright for this DAC.  It's ugly as sin, but it's packed with high end goodness.  Let me know if you're interested.

ugoderosa

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2013, 10:46 pm »
Chris just posted this review of the new Meridian Explorer DAC:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/505-meridian-explorer-usb-dac-review/