Updating my GR n2x speakers to Selah Verita

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
Updating my GR n2x speakers to Selah Verita
« on: 5 Jun 2013, 03:04 pm »
Hi all,

I am in the process of changing the front baffle on my "Almuminati" speakers and thought hey why not put a better kit in too!

The kit that i have now is the GR Research N2X kit. It sounds great and put out a very good amount of bass for a set of bookies. I got crazy with the baffle and put a pocket design into it, supposedly it can change the highs but i can't hear the change. This has bugged me since i finished them. So they will get a flat front baffle with the Verita kit.

Very excited, I've been chatting with Rick via email and i can't wait to hear the end result. He's a great guy to talk to!!

The cabinets are made entirely of aluminum using 1" thick plate. There are no braces internally as the cabinet is very solid to say the least. They currently weigh 66lbs a piece. I had them anodized bordeaux red, clear and black.

Matt

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Updating my GR n2x speakers to Selah Verita
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2013, 03:39 pm »
supposedly it can change the highs but i can't hear the change.
You should invest in a mic and sound card and measure it yourself.  It's very simple to do.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2013, 03:45 pm »
You should invest in a mic and sound card and measure it yourself.  It's very simple to do.

I have a Snowball mic and card that i used for mixing and such 5 or so years ago. It is easy i know but i just never have time or forget to try it...

Danny suggested to test it as well.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2013, 06:22 pm »
I have a Snowball mic and card that i used for mixing and such 5 or so years ago. It is easy i know but i just never have time or forget to try it...

Danny suggested to test it as well.

Bare minimum you should use a calibrated mic.  http://www.cross-spectrum.com/  You can certainly get even higher quality but any of these from Cross is really all you need to do what you are needing to do.

Danny who?

My setup: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86403.msg913119#msg913119

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2013, 06:30 pm »
Bare minimum you should use a calibrated mic.  http://www.cross-spectrum.com/  You can certainly get even higher quality but any of these from Cross is really all you need to do what you are needing to do.

Danny who?

My setup: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86403.msg913119#msg913119

The mic i have is calibrated, had it done when i picked it up from the music shop.

Danny from Gr Research.

It's pointless to measure it now. It'll be a completely different speaker soon.

Matt

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2013, 06:30 pm »
The mic i have is calibrated, had it done when i picked it up from the music shop.

Danny from Gr Research.

It's pointless to measure it now. It'll be a completely different speaker soon.

Matt
OK. 

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2013, 09:33 pm »
Some pictures of the cabinets while i was doing pre anodizing tests.

I am buying the kits tomorrow and hope to have it all done by the end of the month :)

Matt

danny01

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2013, 01:08 am »
I followed your entire build threads on both the n2x's and ncores here and over at the lounge. As a Selah owner, I'm really excited that you chose the Veritas. I'm looking forward to the end product! I have no doubt that they will be as awesome as all of your previous work..

pawsman

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2013, 12:37 pm »
As a Verita owner I'm excited too! I've followed Kraemers work on the Emotiva Forum, he builds some stunning artistic aluminum cases for the Ncore amps. Maybe Rick will start offering aluminum cabinets  :D

pawsman

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2013, 12:49 pm »
Thanks guys!!

I can update the thread with pics. Like a step by step :)

Matt

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2013, 01:23 pm »
That would be awesome, what is the volume of your cabinets?  Do you use polyfil along with the acoustic treatments inside?  How would you describe the sound of the N2X that was in there before?  Do you plan on doing any work on the baffle for the Verita to time align the drivers (ala Vapor Audio's Breeze)?  I think if Rick could adjust the crossovers to compensate for a physically time aligned baffle it would really make for an interesting improvement on the sound.  Great work on the NCore I will be audiocircle stalking your work from now on and will most likely commission you for something in the future.

Good luck, I am sure they are going to turn out great! 

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2013, 01:33 pm »
That would be awesome, what is the volume of your cabinets?  Do you use polyfil along with the acoustic treatments inside?  How would you describe the sound of the N2X that was in there before?  Do you plan on doing any work on the baffle for the Verita to time align the drivers (ala Vapor Audio's Breeze)?  I think if Rick could adjust the crossovers to compensate for a physically time aligned baffle it would really make for an interesting improvement on the sound.  Great work on the NCore I will be audiocircle stalking your work from now on and will most likely commission you for something in the future.

Good luck, I am sure they are going to turn out great!

The Internal volume is roughly .225ft^3. Nope no poly fill just No-Rez damping sheet and a few pieces of foam i took off my wall lol.

They sound great with the n2x kits currently. The highs are crystal clear and the bass seems too good to be true, maybe since the cabinets are so solid. The mids are okay, i've heard better.

I am going to remake the front baffle to accommodate the new Verita Kit, the old baffle won't work and it has the side pockets. New baffle plates will run me around $60 a baffle. 1" thick aluminum, 8.5"wide by 14" long.

Matt

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2013, 02:19 pm »
Looking good man!  Maybe we could setup a MN DIY event some time later in the year.  It could be some kind of fun  :thumb:

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2013, 02:23 pm »
Looking good man!  Maybe we could setup a MN DIY event some time later in the year.  It could be some kind of fun  :thumb:

That'd be awesome :)

I plan on making sealed 12" subs for each bookie. The sub will have supports coming up and a plate will be mounted to the very top, that's where the bookie's will sit. I'm thinking the sub stand will sit 28" from top to bottom, it'll give a great height for the Raal tweeter (about 38" up) :)

Matt

jonbee

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2013, 02:34 pm »
They sound great with the n2x kits currently. The highs are crystal clear and the bass seems too good to be true, maybe since the cabinets are so solid. The mids are okay, i've heard better.
Matt
I've owned the N2x, and I totally concur with your take on the sound. The Verita could be just the thing you're looking for.
I also really like the Neo tweeter, but the RAAL is even better, and the mids on the Illuminator woofers are the clearest and best balanced I've heard from a 7" driver.
I've little doubt this will be a killer sounding speaker- tightly focused and clear.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2013, 02:54 pm »
I've owned the N2x, and I totally concur with your take on the sound. The Verita could be just the thing you're looking for.
I also really like the Neo tweeter, but the RAAL is even better, and the mids on the Illuminator woofers are the clearest and best balanced I've heard from a 7" driver.
I've little doubt this will be a killer sounding speaker- tightly focused and clear.

That makes me smile :)

Can't wait to finish em!

Matt

jparkhur

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:01 pm »
Raal Tweeter 550 dollars ... Neo 3      83 dollars.   Is the cost increase equal to the gain on sound?

Woofer  Scan Speak   300 dollars        Gr Driver   45 dollars

Same Question....     850 in drivers / 127 in drivers?

JP

This reminds of when I just put a 300 dollar XO in a 200 dollars speaker.....

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:09 pm »
Raal Tweeter 550 dollars ... Neo 3      83 dollars.   Is the cost increase equal to the gain on sound?

JP

Me personally, if i hear the same or marginally better sound, it'll be worth it.

I've come to the realization, that i like making things more than actually listening to them. I've made two turntables, they sound very good but i rarely use them. Just wanted to make them. I love designing things from start to finish, it's my passion!

Matt

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:15 pm »

JP

Perhaps but what about $1000 worth of drivers for speakers that cost $20k?  Like anything, it's all about the person spending the money. 

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:30 pm »
Here is what the current baffle looks like (n2x).

What i have started on the new one, i need the drivers in hand the plot the mounting holes and verify clearance but pretty much it.

5/8" radius on back of woofer cutout.

Matt