"Enhance That" will soon no longer be a movie joke

nathanm

"Enhance That" will soon no longer be a movie joke
« on: 17 Feb 2012, 05:54 pm »
It's hard to see, but you can get the gist of what it's doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxjiQoTp864

mhconley

Re: "Enhance That" will soon no longer be a movie joke
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2012, 06:37 pm »
"Enhance 5719.  Track 45 left.  Stop.  Enhance 15 to 23.  Give me a hard copy right there."

Very cool - it's coming.

Martin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2012, 08:38 pm »
Interesting, but IMO Lytro's light field technology is even more interesting.

kip_

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2012, 08:41 pm »
You cannot make pixels bigger. No matter how far you zoom in on a .5 megapixel or 1 megapixel image you can't create something out of nothing.

Deblurring a large resolution image and "enhancing" an image with few pixels to start with is utterly different. This reminds of of some of the cherry-picked examples for content aware fill (aka "uncrop")

gary

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2012, 09:55 pm »
You cannot make pixels bigger. No matter how far you zoom in on a .5 megapixel or 1 megapixel image you can't create something out of nothing.

Deblurring a large resolution image and "enhancing" an image with few pixels to start with is utterly different. This reminds of of some of the cherry-picked examples for content aware fill (aka "uncrop")

Definitely true, what they're doing is taking a point spread function (and you have to know what the right function is for the kind of distortion in a given image) and backing into an image that would have been convolved into the blurred image by the point spread function. They're actually "adding information" into the photo, but that only happens (and works) when you know the right PSF. It's not clear to me how you could make this work outside of a small set of specific instances, I can only guess that they've got a library of PSF's that they're convolving with and then optimizing to get an increase in contrast. Cool stuff.

Gary

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2012, 10:13 pm »
I know the effect is not the same as the traditional "enhance that" scenario in a movie where resolution is created from nothing, but making a motion blurred image into a sharper one is pretty amazing.  This and stuff like content-aware-fill (which I still haven't experienced first-hand) are things which I would have considered impossible years ago.