My Experience with iFi's Tech Support Ticket System

JakeJ

My Experience with iFi's Tech Support Ticket System
« on: 31 Jan 2017, 04:36 pm »
I recently purchased an iFi iLink USB to SPDIF converter and had some difficulty getting it to work with my 2011 Mac Mini music server and iFi's Tech Support bailed my sorry ass out.

I received mine in short order from Echo Audio in Portland, OR.  Shout out to Kurt Doslu and the best B&M store in the Pacific Northwest, IMnotsoHO.

Unpacked it, installed it between DAC and preamp and no sound.  Hmm...read the manual but no installation instructions, checked the iFi website and nothing there.  So I opened a ticket.

Worked with Alix through the entire process of him (her?) teaching me how to setup a device in Mac OS.  I knew nothing.  Kudos to iFi for keeping the same person on an issue from beginning to end.

It took almost two weeks because of my work schedule along with other distractions that only allowed me to work on it for a few minutes to an hour at a time combined with two blocks of three days where I could not work on it at all.  Alix was polite and incredibly patient through the entire process.

In the end there, of course, was nothing wrong with the iLink just my lack of Apple knowledge.

Thanks again to iFi and Alix for triumphant success in spite having to deal with an end user like me.

Pez

Re: My Experience with iFi's Tech Support Ticket System
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2017, 05:07 pm »
Jake,

Thank you for the kind words! We are proud of our ticket system. And don't sweat it, I have a Mac and it has given me plenty of fits when it comes to pretty much anything audio. :duh: Like Apple says 'it just works!' they don't however say anything about it always working well.  :oops:

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2017, 07:41 pm »
I felt I had to speak out as it was primarily my fault and Alix put in extra effort (and patience) to help me.  I'm guessing iFi did not try to include any installation instructions because there are so many variables between customer's computers.  Got a problem, put in a ticket, get the help you need for your system.  No more problem!

The emerging headphone/desktop system part of hi-fi is really cool and will be fun for those that choose to play.  I personally love all the small format devices that are coming to market and the fact that they can sound so good is amazing.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2017, 07:44 pm »
Thanks for sharing the story.  I'm watching all the new iFi products (have the USB Power in my main system) and looking at the new iTube as a possibility for the desktop system.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2017, 11:54 pm »
Cool Phil, I'm sure the iTube is true plug-n-play as it does not connect directly to a computer like the iLink or any of the DACs but it's nice to know the support is there.  Jazzed about being on the iTube 2 tour!

I have future plans to place an iDSD in my desktop rig and now I'm clued in that it will require some work in the PC software to get it running.