Potential CD sources

freakygreek

Potential CD sources
« on: 28 Mar 2005, 06:18 am »
I've read the thread on cd sources but no one mentioned the Wadia 861 CDP. I wondered has anyone here tried it and not liked it.

I would like to go with the Audio Aero Capitale MrkII but there are no local dealers and so service would be a concern.

Having a Dac and Transport would be ideal but I lack the space and so a one box player is needed.

Cheers

Skyhawk

Krell SACD Standard
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2005, 06:40 pm »
This is probably the wrong forum for this post.

I would look into the Krell SACD standard while we wait for bryston to make their SACD player.

I have a complete bryston system with this player on the front end and it is awesome.  I have tried the Linn Unidisk 1.1 and 2.1 and although they offered better transparency in comparison to the Krell, the Krell did a great job and was very close to the Linn. IMO obviously.

A new model of this player has just emerged with a new transport that Krell says sounds better than the original.

Alfalfa

Potential CD sources
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2005, 07:21 pm »
I have very good (transparant) results with Musical Fidelity's Nuvista 3D cd-player. The rest of my system is Bryston BP20/7B ST's, PMC IB2.

freakygreek

Potential CD sources
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2005, 12:19 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I don't really expect any player from Bryston even though I would like one.

As for SACD I did look at the Krell and also at the Classe. In all honesty I haven't really gotten into the Hi-Rez formats. If I was looking for SACD playback then I would consider the APL Denon 3910.

Cheers

Skyhawk

Krell SACD Standard For Redbook
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2005, 02:45 am »
Even though you may not be interested in the Hi Res format, the SACD Standard is one heck of a Redbook CD Player.

Alfalfa

Potential CD sources
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2005, 03:24 pm »
According to Musical Fidelity, SACD players do not excel in playing normal cd's. At least that is what they concluded to the press when they issued their Nuvista 3D CD player that originally was intended to appear as a SACD player.

Skyhawk

True and Not True
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2005, 10:33 pm »
Most high end SACD players have multiple circuit boards and power supplies for each format to be played.

In the case of the Krell it uses a philips daisy transport (Same as the Trivista) in which, the DSD and PCM are handled by native burr brown DA Converters.

freakygreek

Potential CD sources
« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2005, 04:05 am »
Thanks guys but I still need to know if the characteristics of the Wadia will fit in with a Bryston/PMC combo.

I'm also considering the Ayre 7CXe.  Both of these players can be purchased locally and so service is not an issue.

As to SACD the titles are pretty sparce to my musical tates. I'm not into classical so there goes a large part. I mainly listen to Jazz both modern and hard-Bop, Blues and modern Pop/Rock.

I've read many threads on how it is all engineer dependant and so it can be a crap shoot.

For the most part my collection is small but mainly consists of RVG reissues with a few XRCD and K2 mastering. A small amount are import's from Japan.

Cheers