PMC upgrades - worthwhile?

Yogus

« on: 8 Mar 2005, 05:06 am »
I posted this on another forum, but I'd try here as well.

Has anyone upgraded their PMC TB1/DB1 or FB1 to the new "plus" status?

Just wondering if its a worthwhile change.

Fife12

« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2005, 05:53 am »
The + series definitely seems more smoother sounding. Besides the tweeter upgrade, the crossover upgrade and extra damping does indeed make the + versions seem better to me.
I thought the original TB2 and FB1 was more lean sounding.

I really enjoy listening to the GB1 though. They literally disappeared in the room.

Yogus

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2005, 06:17 am »
The strange thing is that I get different feedback regarding the bass. Some say its faster, some say its gone even leaner and some say it's not.

The fact that the upper registers and midranges are better seem to be undisputed.

(I own FB1s btw ("minus" status, if you will), and it does seem a bit lean, at least when comparing to OB1s).

Fife12

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2005, 07:23 am »
Hi Yogus,

Sorry but I didnt word it right. I am not saying the bass is lean.

I actually meant that the mids of the non-plus series sounded more lean/forward while the + series sounded more fluid and smooth. The new tweeter is probably one reason why too.

dan_lo

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2005, 09:08 am »
I installed the + to my FB1.
The improvement is very worhwhile. The highs are much sweeter. But it is not just that . The new speakers is smoother, and more refined, and yet it is more coherent, detailed and natural.
You are getting the best PMC makes (it's the same tweeter as in the big boys). If you compare the structure of the new tweeter to the old one you'll see there is no contest.

The "new" speaker is much closer to the OB1 than the old one, although it is still lean compared to it's big brother.

Yogus

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2005, 08:39 pm »
Thanks all. I'll probably pick one up the next time I go to the US or UK.

Yogus

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2005, 02:33 am »
Incidentally, do PMC modify the Vifa drivers on the consumer stuff or are they stock?

(i.e. DB1, TB2, GB1, FB1, OB1).