Magnepan Speaker

zidank

Magnepan Speaker
« on: 31 Dec 2017, 06:20 am »
I’m currently running a pairof Magnepan MG12 (4 ohm, 86 db sensitivity) with Parasound HCA-2205A (300W into 4 ohm). The sound is pretty spectacular imo. I tried several times replace the speaker due to its size but always ended up returning those speakers and came back to the Maggie. I probably will only own Magnepan speakers for a very long time.

I powered the MG12 with an IDA-8 and the I thought the sound is very thin and under powered even at low volume.  The sound of Pioneer SP-BS52LR bookshelf speaker powered by IDA-8 actually sound better.  Perhaps class D amp like Nuprime gear is just not a good match for Magnepan speakers?

Anyone has used Nuprime gear with Magnepan speakers? What are your thought comparing to popular amp for Maggie such as Parasound, Bryston and Pass? I’m looking to replace the Parasound because it’s a 80 lb monster and I like the NuPrime sound on other box speakers.

Would the IDA-16 or ST-10 work better with the Maggie than IDA-8?

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: Magnepan Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2017, 10:49 pm »
While manufacturers quote low minimum power requirements - it's really unfair. Loads are different than specs. Dynamics aren't as real with low power. I power my 120 watt max "Eddie" speaker with 400 NuPrime watts.

Your bass panels are huge. You want to control them well. Exceptional damping will make them sound EVEN BETTER !!!  I really like NuPrime and use it as one of my references. Lot's of quality per dollar. The K38 amp is versatile and currently I'm using it in 400 x 4 mode testing "Alex" bi-amped.

I don't think your goal is rock concert level - but with more power, low volume playback will be significantly better, and when you are playing louder you will be SHOCKED at the increase in dynamics, attack speed, spacial staging and etc.

Happy New Year. Maggie's are truly awesome. I'd definitely upgrade on your amp power.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2017, 11:20 pm »
I can certainly say that the NuPRIME amps "will" certainly make your Maggies do what they were designed to do, but comparing a 100wpc amp with a 300wpc amp will not demonstrate the potential of NuPRIME.

Maggies are Power Hogs and thrive on high power and damping ratios.  You would certainly benefit from moving to the IDA-16 or the ST-10, but if you REALLY want to get the best, a Bridged K-38 (as Evoke suggests) or the new ST-10M (monoblocs) would likely be all you would EVER need.

If you are on a more rigid budget you could do well with a pair of STA-9's bridged to mono (290wpc), but I would seriously suggest the K-38, especially, if you are doing any Multi-Channel.

A_shah

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2018, 07:38 am »
I’m currently running a pairof Magnepan MG12 (4 ohm, 86 db sensitivity) with Parasound HCA-2205A (300W into 4 ohm). The sound is pretty spectacular imo. I tried several times replace the speaker due to its size but always ended up returning those speakers and came back to the Maggie. I probably will only own Magnepan speakers for a very long time.

I powered the MG12 with an IDA-8 and the I thought the sound is very thin and under powered even at low volume.  The sound of Pioneer SP-BS52LR bookshelf speaker powered by IDA-8 actually sound better.  Perhaps class D amp like Nuprime gear is just not a good match for Magnepan speakers?

Anyone has used Nuprime gear with Magnepan speakers? What are your thought comparing to popular amp for Maggie such as Parasound, Bryston and Pass? I’m looking to replace the Parasound because it’s a 80 lb monster and I like the NuPrime sound on other box speakers.

Would the IDA-16 or ST-10 work better with the Maggie than IDA-8?

I had a Peachtree Audio NOVA 150 Class D in my 2ndry system running Kef LS 50 on my desk top system once in a while I would go down and use it with my Magnepan 1.7i , no issue's  drove them just fine not as 3 D as my Kismet/Stratos but not thin at all maybe you can try the Peachtree NOVA 300 they are on sale presently with UnderwoodHIFI, I know they have been matched with Wilson Sabrina's if you  dont like it you can always send it back after a trial period .

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2018, 08:55 pm »
It is the etiquette of this site that you refrain from recommending competing products in a manufacturer's circle.
If the question is posted in generic circle, feel free to recommend something else.
All the topics here are for Nuprime related products or accessories that complement NuPrime products.