Decware Zen Head first impresstions

milford3

Decware Zen Head first impresstions
« on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:17 pm »
After two hours of listening with the Decware Zen Head portable amp I must say I'm impressed, impressed, and impressed.  Depth, soundstage and presentation.  The Zen drives my Beyer T1's and DT 990's (both 600 Ohm's) with ease.  Looks like I'll be buying tons of 9 volt batteries. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Decware Zen Head first impresstions
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:46 pm »
I just see the CSP2+ just $895 and the usual ZenTriode quality and double as preamp. :thumb:
A great company with top workmanship.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:17 am »
Congrats, Milford!!!!  :thumb:

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:45 am »
Interesting. Hopefully you have chance to try this baby with power hungry planars?

milford3

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:59 am »
Noseyears,  I'm on to hour number eight with the Zen Head.  I do believe the Zen will drive planars as well as dynamic phones.  I'm so impressed with the Zen Head (remember its a portable amp) that I had to order out for dinner (thank-you T1's.)  So far the Decware  Zen is a grand slam.  It's very, and I mean very, close sounding to my Schiit Vallhala.

Douger

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2013, 07:13 pm »
A most unusual company. I ordered a Zen from their site and filled in my CC info (which I assumed was approved, since I made purchases right after that OK), and after getting an email acknowledgement of my order, but no shipping notice a week later, I inquired about my order (which I copied to them in the email), and they responded "No Payment Received" and nothing else. No concern, no followup, nothing. I guess they're busy and don't need the money.

Dalethorn, call Decware and talk with Sarah, or email her. :D

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm »
Noseyears,  I'm on to hour number eight with the Zen Head.  I do believe the Zen will drive planars as well as dynamic phones.  I'm so impressed with the Zen Head (remember its a portable amp) that I had to order out for dinner (thank-you T1's.)  So far the Decware  Zen is a grand slam.  It's very, and I mean very, close sounding to my Schiit Vallhala.

No doubts about that. Skylab's ranked highly the Zenhead on a comparison of 30+ portable amps.

Still, i would be interested on how it changes after several hours of burn in (and several dry batteries as well :))

Maritan

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:58 pm »
A most unusual company. I ordered a Zen from their site and filled in my CC info (which I assumed was approved, since I made purchases right after that OK), and after getting an email acknowledgement of my order, but no shipping notice a week later, I inquired about my order (which I copied to them in the email), and they responded "No Payment Received" and nothing else. No concern, no followup, nothing. I guess they're busy and don't need the money.

A couple weeks ago, I emailed Steve Deckert asking him a question about a ZP3 I recently got. Never heard back. (I had called two days in a row a few days before the email mentioned above, and each time got to talk to Steve for no less than 10 minutes each time, so this surprised me. Nice guy too.) I called a few days later and talked to a woman (don't know who it was) and she mentioned Steve was out at the time and that he could call me back. This was about a little more than a week back. Never got the call back and I was busy enough that I couldn't call them either. However, I was getting a little irritated with them.

Today, I got a call from Sarah who apologized for not calling back earlier and asked if I could talk to Steve at that time. Of course, as luck would have it, I was too busy to have an extended conversation with him, so I'm hoping I'll get to talk to him tomorrow. All was forgiven from my side.

Sometimes things slip through the cracks, but it seems to me Decware has their heart in the right spot.

sugbob21

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2013, 11:29 am »
I just got mine.   Was probably right ahead of u in the lineup.  I also have an Schiit Asgard and Little Dot amp and the little Zen holds its own. I use it with Audioquest Firefly to my Mac Mini. I especially like it with jazz and acoustic music,.....using AkG 701s, HE-400 and even Beyer 900    600 ohm. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2015, 07:14 pm »
I ended up picking up a Zenhead from Dalethorn here on AC.

Arrived an hour ago. 

Works a treat with my Sennheiser Momentum on ears.  Way better bass articulation vs my Fiio X5. 

Looks like I too will be picking up some 9v batteries!