Using Phono Pre Amp Only, no regular pre amp

stump4545

Using Phono Pre Amp Only, no regular pre amp
« on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:38 pm »
If a get a top notch Phono Pre Amp and Amplifier, and I can skip a Standard Preamplifier to hook up my Phono Pre Amp into,  as I will only be using this setup for records?

If this is possible any suggestions for a top tier phono pre amp with volume control?

thank you.

vinyl_lady

Re: Using Phono Pre Amp Only, no regular pre amp
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:53 pm »
For years I used a pre amp with a phono stage without another pre amp. I have used a Nakamichi CA-5, a Bryston BP-20 and an Alana. All were good, the Alana was exceptional. There are several good pre amps with a built in phono stage. ModWright's LS-100 offers a phono option.

stump4545

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2014, 11:59 pm »
Thanks.

Only, I am looking for a reference quality phono pre amp with a volume control, to avoid a regular pre amp.

I am only playing records so I don't need a standard pre amp since I will be do no switching between inputs and sources so a standard pre amp would be a waste for me.

Is there a reference quality phono pre amp/ volume control to be had?

thanks in advance

BruceW

stump4545

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2014, 12:16 am »
Nice. thank you.

btw. did audio research, conrad johnson, sim audio, pass, or any other big names ever make a phone pre amp with volume control?

seems that it would be a desired feature for turntable enthusiasts.

thanks again.

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2014, 12:26 am »
Manley Steelhead is designed to drive an amp directly.   Even has remote volume control!    :thumb:

http://www.manley.com/mshlr.php

I believe Aesthetix also makes one.   I suspect there are others.   Do the google.

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2014, 12:27 am »
Nice. thank you.

btw. did audio research, conrad johnson, sim audio, pass, or any other big names ever make a phone pre amp with volume control?

seems that it would be a desired feature for turntable enthusiasts.

thanks again.
K & K Audio makes a fine phono stage with optional volume control.

http://www.kandkaudio.com/phonostage.html

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2014, 01:48 am »
If a get a top notch Phono Pre Amp and Amplifier, and I can skip a Standard Preamplifier to hook up my Phono Pre Amp into,  as I will only be using this setup for records?

If this is possible any suggestions for a top tier phono pre amp with volume control?

thank you.

Suitability comes down to a question of gain and drive.  You can use any phono stage with a passive preamp or its own volume control, provided you have enough gain and the phono stage can drive the cables and amp(s).  That could include multiple amps for biamping or subs and it could be a daunting task for many phonos.   As you see from the links a beefy power supply is recommended even if you use fairly efficient full range speakers.

Here's Aesthetix:
http://www.aesthetix.net/rhea.php
http://www.aesthetix.net/io.php

The Io MkII  has a volume control and uses their Jupiter power supply:
http://www.aesthetix.net/io.php

ARC has a phono 10 phono preamp, but it comes with a line stage and costs $30K:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audio-research-reference-phono-10-phono-preamplifier/

neo

stump4545

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:10 pm »
Is there a design reason why most phono pre amps do not have a volume control, as to skip a standard pre amp in a TT setup?

vortrex

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:20 pm »
I did this before with the K&K unit.  It lacks something compared to going with a standard pre setup.  I think most everyone with the Manley prefers not to use the volume control.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:21 pm »
Maple Tree Audio has one. All tube with outboard power supply. I use one in a phono only system.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:25 pm »
Is there a design reason why most phono pre amps do not have a volume control, as to skip a standard pre amp in a TT setup?

The reason is most are not designed to drive a system.  They don't have the necessary gain or power supply.  A line stage normally has between 10 and 20dB of gain which you're eliminating.  It also takes the drive aspect off the shoulders of the phono stage.  Say you have a little battery powered phono stage and wanted to bypass the line stage.  That phono would have to drive the volume control, cables and amp in a simple (no subs) system.  It would also need enough gain to make up for the line stage loss.

There are phono stages that can be used successfully in such a set-up, but it depends on your situation.  The amount of gain in amps is usually similar, but speakers and room size vary widely.  It's quite a different situation driving 86dB speakers than 98dB horns.  Likewise for room size.

I have an AHT phono stage that has a good size power supply (could power a 100 w amp) and more than usual gain.  I used to use it w/o a line stage (sometimes) driving 91dB speakers in a small room.  The sound was better than with a high end preamp.   Because the room was small I didn't miss the dynamics.  In a larger room it doesn't work.  It sounds dead, lifeless. 

If you want to get to specifics, maybe we could help further.
neo

jawks

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2014, 05:39 am »
After performing the "Bolero Test" as detailed by Arthur Salvatore, I discovered that my Parasound JC3 phono stage was capable of driving my Audio Mirror SET 45 monoblock power amps.  If you do this at home, just be careful not to blow out your speakers or your ears for that matter.  Based on this test, I decided to get a passive line stage to control volume.  The results are really fantastic, and I have no need for an active preamp.

brooklyn

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2014, 07:26 am »
The PS Audio GCPH Phono Preamplifier comes to mind and it does have a volume control.
It has been discontinued and can only be found on the used market. Link below.

http://thevinylanachronist.blogspot.com/2010/02/ps-audio-gcph-phono-preamplifier.html

toocool4

« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2014, 06:43 pm »
A pre amp does more than just switching, if you miss out the pre you will be missing so much. Don't do it get  a good pre amp.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2014, 07:07 pm »
Soundsmith Strainguage also can come with volume control and preamp section.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2014, 02:58 am by woodsyi »

stump4545

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2014, 09:11 pm »
Ok so I will get a pre amp for my Vinyle Setup as to all these great suggestions

Any Recommendations for a great reference quality phono pre amp that I can pick up used that will go good with my Conrad Johnson Act II series II pre amp?

Any models that stand out?

a.wayne

« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2014, 01:18 am »
After performing the "Bolero Test" as detailed by Arthur Salvatore, I discovered that my Parasound JC3 phono stage was capable of driving my Audio Mirror SET 45 monoblock power amps.  If you do this at home, just be careful not to blow out your speakers or your ears for that matter.  Based on this test, I decided to get a passive line stage to control volume.  The results are really fantastic, and I have no need for an active preamp.

Bolero test ......???????