Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #440 on: 12 Apr 2014, 08:05 pm »
Hello, it's been a while since I checked this thread... can anybody confirm that the new software provides more robust handling of USB memory sticks? Under 1.74 and earlier, swapping memory sticks occasionally prevents the BDP2 from reading the new drive, requiring a reboot. Also, if I attach a thumb drive too quickly after starting up, the front panel often registers single presses as double presses *) and I've seen playlists being looped while I specifically never switched on that option.

*) never happens if I attach the drive some 5-6 seconds after boot has completed (which I understand is the moment the pause sign changes to the stop sign on the panel

Cheers,

EJ

Hi Ej

We threw out what we had for mounting USB drives and started over, it should be more robust; but because it has yet to be thoroughly tested we arn't sure yet just how well it works.  I say it hasn't been throughly tested simply because it's only been used by our selves and a handful of people using the beta.  ultimately we won't know how well it performs until people begin to use it.  It has been revamped with with the issues plagued by the earlier program in mind, we have added support for thumb drives that don't include partition tables and drives that use guid partitions rather then mbr (mbr is still supported) partition tables.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #441 on: 12 Apr 2014, 08:08 pm »
I know it has it's compatibility issues ;-)
edit

the superdrive is much more compatible with this small adjustment http://hints.macworld.com/comment.php?mode=view&cid=126979, and working just fine on my 'old' MacbookPro. Maybe some smart scripting can do the trick on the BDP1/2 too?

If not, is there a drive you'd advice us bdp1 users to try , thinking modern compatibility issues for having this drive hooked up to other pcs/macs to be able to read BD's?

Thanks!
Marius

Hi Marius,

Just about any other USB drive should work, assuming you can meet the power requirements.  To get the feature to work on a BDP-1 I had to use a drive with its own power supply, in this case the revision 2 BOT.  You can get third party drives that have there own power supply or you can get a powered USB hub.  If you go the USB hub route be sure to get one that has a power adapter rated for atleast 2amps

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #442 on: 16 Apr 2014, 03:34 pm »
wonder if this would be doing the job... http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MSMXBW4.0TB7/

Chris, would the drive be visible in Mac/Finder when connected to the BDP, just like any other usb drive?

ditching the 4TB harddrive,  this could be an option? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3F8BDSD16/

Marius

Hi Marius,

Just about any other USB drive should work, assuming you can meet the power requirements.  To get the feature to work on a BDP-1 I had to use a drive with its own power supply, in this case the revision 2 BOT.  You can get third party drives that have there own power supply or you can get a powered USB hub.  If you go the USB hub route be sure to get one that has a power adapter rated for atleast 2amps

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #443 on: 18 Apr 2014, 03:55 pm »
Hi Chris,

Only now did I discover why I keep hitting wrong buttons on MM mobile (iPhone). I never really saw the various buttons really well because of lack of contrast.

Would it be possible to make it a slight bit more contrasty?

Thanks! Marius

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #444 on: 22 Apr 2014, 03:54 pm »
Here's an interesting fault. I'm on the 0410 build. Loading the album view results in an endless scroll of what looks like the main status page.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #445 on: 23 Apr 2014, 02:48 pm »
Here's an interesting fault. I'm on the 0410 build. Loading the album view results in an endless scroll of what looks like the main status page.

Yah i'm not sure what that is, i have noticed it on older builds as well just this week

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #446 on: 24 Apr 2014, 07:09 am »
HI Chris,

i was on 0410 and trying to upgrade, but the install-page is behaving very awkwardly . I cant seem to select any download, and the window keeps resizing somehow. Both on Mobile and desktop..Clicking install seems to start the process, but never finishes successfully. Showing the -1 files again.

Download it self seems to have been successful , so if you could show us hope to upgrade that through a terminal command, it would be most helpful.

Thanks!
Marius
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2014, 10:02 am by Marius »

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #447 on: 24 Apr 2014, 12:53 pm »
Marius, mine did the same thing. I removed all previously downloaded firmware leaving only the 0422 build. Rather than trying to select a version first, I simply clicked the install button and was able to install the new build. While this doesn't fix the bug, it does at least work around it so you can get the new build installed.
-Gary

Marius

« Reply #448 on: 24 Apr 2014, 06:25 pm »
HI Gary,

thanks! but thats exactly what ive already done, have a look at the screenshot, only 0423 is available.

I still reacts with the -1 install.. :scratch: :scratch:

Hope Chris knows a way to fix this.

Marius

Marius, mine did the same thing. I removed all previously downloaded firmware leaving only the 0422 build. Rather than trying to select a version first, I simply clicked the install button and was able to install the new build. While this doesn't fix the bug, it does at least work around it so you can get the new build installed.
-Gary

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #449 on: 25 Apr 2014, 01:06 am »
HI Chris,

i was on 0410 and trying to upgrade, but the install-page is behaving very awkwardly . I cant seem to select any download, and the window keeps resizing somehow. Both on Mobile and desktop..Clicking install seems to start the process, but never finishes successfully. Showing the -1 files again.

Download it self seems to have been successful , so if you could show us hope to upgrade that through a terminal command, it would be most helpful.

Thanks!
Marius

What Marius is experiencing here is a case of the browser not sending the variables to the server, the server has returned "-1" for the source and version not the selected firmware version and source.  As mentioned before you should try rebooting the BDP, refresh the page and try again.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #450 on: 25 Apr 2014, 05:29 am »
Chris,

Ive done all that, and several times... nothing helped.

I finally managed to update to 0424 by quickly trying to click install after loading the install page, in a game like way, because the window kept resizing and repositioning the button...

After updating, MPD was disabled, never had that before. 

ive still to manage to play any track, because of unresponsiveness of MM, and it loading the defaults again

cheers,
M

What Marius is experiencing here is a case of the browser not sending the variables to the server, the server has returned "-1" for the source and version not the selected firmware version and source.  As mentioned before you should try rebooting the BDP, refresh the page and try again.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #451 on: 25 Apr 2014, 02:14 pm »
Chris,

Ive done all that, and several times... nothing helped.

I finally managed to update to 0424 by quickly trying to click install after loading the install page, in a game like way, because the window kept resizing and repositioning the button...

After updating, MPD was disabled, never had that before. 

ive still to manage to play any track, because of unresponsiveness of MM, and it loading the defaults again

cheers,
M

That message is new, I must have forgotten to mention it in the readme file and is meant to provide feedback if MPD ever crashes or doesn't start.

you may want to check the version of mpd that has been set in /mnt/img/mpd.set

Code: [Select]
cat /mnt/img/mpd.set
Cheers,
Chris

BigGeek

« Reply #452 on: 26 Apr 2014, 04:57 am »
Under Disk Info, the 'used' and 'available' fields are reversed.

Chris, this has been an issue for a while. Has no one else noticed this? It tells me that most of my drve is used and when I look at it from my PC the numbers read the opposite of what is shown in mm drive info.
« Last Edit: 1 May 2014, 01:13 am by BigGeek »

Ritchief

« Reply #453 on: 26 Apr 2014, 04:44 pm »
Chris,

I have upgraded to the most recent firmware, but I am still unable to see my music albums with album view nor does it display the albums when playing. For clarity all of the album covers were shown in the loonyloon.

Tks,

Rich   

Marius

« Reply #454 on: 26 Apr 2014, 09:02 pm »
Updating to 0425 is not succesful:

Chris, what to do?

Please chime in...

Marius

Marius

« Reply #455 on: 27 Apr 2014, 04:40 pm »
HI People,

Anyone to help please? Im executing the mac procedure right now on a CF card, imaging the LoonyLoon 173 firmware because of the faulty upgrade mentioned in an above post..

It is taking a really long time to do this though. Or rephrased: how to check if this terminal command is finished?

the cf card is invisible on my Finder-window.

Thanks,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #456 on: 27 Apr 2014, 05:49 pm »
HI People,

Anyone to help please? Im executing the mac procedure right now on a CF card, imaging the LoonyLoon 173 firmware because of the faulty upgrade mentioned in an above post..

It is taking a really long time to do this though. Or rephrased: how to check if this terminal command is finished?

the cf card is invisible on my Finder-window.

Thanks,
Marius

It'll take you back to a command prompt when it's finnished.  I'm not familiar enough with the dd command for unix, it seems to be different then the Linux version.  If you can specify byte size of around 1MB it should only take about ten to twenty minutes.  Doing bit by bit is going to take a few hours.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #457 on: 27 Apr 2014, 05:50 pm »
Chris,

I have upgraded to the most recent firmware, but I am still unable to see my music albums with album view nor does it display the albums when playing. For clarity all of the album covers were shown in the loonyloon.

Tks,

Rich

Have you specified a scratch disk in the disk utility yet?

Marius

« Reply #458 on: 27 Apr 2014, 07:03 pm »
went back to a windows machine and did the windows routine..... worked fine.

its loading 173 right now, and taking a while i guess.

don't you have an image of a MM version that was alright before. 2 steps back from 0425 was doing alright, now we have to rebuild it all ...

Please help me remember again: how to upgrade from LL to MM beta?

Cheers,
Marius

It'll take you back to a command prompt when it's finnished.  I'm not familiar enough with the dd command for unix, it seems to be different then the Linux version.  If you can specify byte size of around 1MB it should only take about ten to twenty minutes.  Doing bit by bit is going to take a few hours.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #459 on: 28 Apr 2014, 01:53 pm »
The most recent version of S2.01 2014-04-25 included fixes to issues from the previous firmware.

Cheers,
Chris