DSD DACs

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #40 on: 5 Nov 2012, 07:24 pm »
Russ, great stuff.  :)  Ain't DSF (DSD) nice?   8)   I am tempted to split this topic and send your post to a new thread (review of the Benchmark DAC2 HGC DAC).  But I won't cuz it's not fair to those here who have been waiting for your feedback.  Maybe consider adding even more details and starting a review thread.  Nice summary, regardless.  Thanks.

wisnon

« Reply #41 on: 5 Nov 2012, 07:27 pm »
I was just about to post a similar comment Ted. It was a very nice first impression from Russ.

Jon L

« Reply #42 on: 5 Nov 2012, 07:31 pm »
Wow, Russ, I didn't figure you for a Benchmark type of guy, but the DAC2 does look quite nice and "reasonably" priced as well  :thumb:

Sabre DAC chips combined with the better LME op-amps will definitely sound highly resolving IME.   

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #43 on: 6 Nov 2012, 12:29 am »
Wow, Russ, I didn't figure you for a Benchmark type of guy

Neither did I, but my treasure trove of DSF files from my SACDs and the preamp functionality pushed me over the edge.  If I need more romance, I'll just strap tube buffer stage to it.

Brad

« Reply #44 on: 6 Nov 2012, 01:54 am »
Hey guys,

Thanks for this thread.  I had decided about 8 months ago to wait for the DSD DAC market to mature before I bought another DAC.
Looks like things are progressing nicely.

I have had fun listening to vinyl in the mean time  8)

jcotner

« Reply #45 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:43 am »
I spent over 30 minutes on the phone with a guy at Mytek talking about the new
DAC. I must say I was very impressed at the effort they put into the new one.

Interesting to note that the Mastering version re-purposes one of the inputs into
a dedicated DSD input. Some of the design decisions were very well thought
out. I kind of get the impression that the DAC2 and this box are very similar
sonically but differ in features.
I like the fact that the Mytek is $400 less also.

I'd still like to see a shootout between the two but haven't heard of one yet.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 7 Nov 2012, 01:22 am »
I spent over 30 minutes on the phone with a guy at Mytek talking about the new
DAC. I must say I was very impressed at the effort they put into the new one.

Interesting to note that the Mastering version re-purposes one of the inputs into
a dedicated DSD input. Some of the design decisions were very well thought
out. I kind of get the impression that the DAC2 and this box are very similar
sonically but differ in features.
I like the fact that the Mytek is $400 less also.

I'd still like to see a shootout between the two but haven't heard of one yet.

I am a very big Mytek fan (as well as Michal and Chebon's field beta test guy) as you know.  The only issue with the mastering version is that SDIF is really only viable via pro tools like Sonoma.  The analog ins are probably a better option, especially if you are going to dare try the Mytek direct to amp (i.e as a preamp).  DSD is easily had via USB or firewire (DoP or ASIO).

santacore

« Reply #47 on: 7 Nov 2012, 04:40 am »
I just picked up the Lynx Hilo, which with the latest firmware, is promising DSD playback. I've only it had it for a week and have only enjoyed red book and high res. material. So far, it's a fantastic sounding DAC that should scale well in the future.

Jon L

« Reply #48 on: 7 Nov 2012, 11:54 pm »
I just picked up the Lynx Hilo, which with the latest firmware, is promising DSD playback. I've only it had it for a week and have only enjoyed red book and high res. material. So far, it's a fantastic sounding DAC that should scale well in the future.

Interesting product from Lynx.  It's great it can be powered by AC or DC; Does it come with an external battery pack, or at least battery cable/harness with the right connector for the DAC?  I also assume the USB jack is not for audio USB input but for things like firmware update? 

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 8 Nov 2012, 12:16 am »
Interesting product from Lynx.  It's great it can be powered by AC or DC; Does it come with an external battery pack, or at least battery cable/harness with the right connector for the DAC?  I also assume the USB jack is not for audio USB input but for things like firmware update?
No, the USB is USB 2.0 (most reviews say nothing but it seems clear that the USB is not asynch).  USB is how DSD will be provided (DoP v1.1) most likely, although AES-3 and S/PDIF will be available for it too.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: 8 Nov 2012, 12:28 am »
No, the USB is USB 2.0 (most reviews say nothing but it seems clear that the USB is not asynch).  USB is how DSD will be provided (DoP v1.1) most likely, although AES-3 and S/PDIF will be available for it too.

It is asynch.

From Lynx:
The LT-USB is the device that provides the USB connection for the Hilo - so the question would be about the LT-USB (which is already shipping for the Aurora).  The LT-USB uses asynchronous synchronization mode which combined with our SynchroLock technology, gives an extremely low jitter clock for the Hilo and Aurora.

http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=58

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 8 Nov 2012, 12:32 am »
Thanks Jason.  Two reviews talked about it (USB) getting clock from computer...but they are wrong obviously.  Good!  :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: 8 Nov 2012, 12:34 am »
Thanks Jason.  Two reviews talked about it (USB) getting clock from computer...but they are wrong obviously.  Good!  :)
I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise.   :wink:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 8 Nov 2012, 01:28 am »
Also, here is some of the Beta Firmware List:

We will release all of the details later in the week, but here are a few of the confirmed features.

1. ADAT inputs now operational.

ADAT outputs were turned on in Rev 4, now we have up to 8 ADAT inputs available.

When ADAT ins are plugged into the Optical input, Hilo sense this and adds meters and selections to the appropriate pages automatically.

2. DSD Playback is added.
Uses the latest DoP v1.1 standard. Fully tested with Channel D and Audirvana for Mac and JRiver and Merging Technologies on the PC.

3. Mono selection upgraded
Can select Stereo, Left, Right or Sum (with 3dB reduction) on any input channel.

4. Solo Function
For any input channel.

5. 1kHz Test Tone
On any output channel. Completely new screen.

srb

« Reply #54 on: 8 Nov 2012, 02:09 am »
It's great it [Lynx Hilo] can be powered by AC or DC; Does it come with an external battery pack, or at least battery cable/harness with the right connector for the DAC?

The DC input jack is a 4-pin XLR which is common for video camera lighting equipment.  I assume they expect that many people will use the battery power for mobile monitoring and recording, not just for stationary audiophile pure power.  Most of these battery packs are available in both 12V and 14.4V NiMh or SLA and are often packaged in portable Cordura nylon zippered packs like this Bescor 12V/54WH NiMh pack:

Steve

santacore

« Reply #55 on: 8 Nov 2012, 03:44 am »
Sorry, I'm just catching up on this thread.

Yes, USB is definitely used for audio in/out, plus software updates. No batteries are included with the unit, but it is a cool option. Once I get more settled (recently moved), I will give it a try with battery power.

Overall I've been very impressed with this DAC. The bass is tight and fast, which is an area cheaper DAC's seem to falter. Tone is natural and detail is excellent. Since I've only used it with an external tube headphone amp, I won't comment on width or depth. One day soon I plan to try the ADC section for both home audio and my professional work.

John

weff

« Reply #56 on: 14 Nov 2012, 07:48 am »
I've been in hibernation for a while - seems though that there are a lot of very nice DAC's coming onto the market.

I currently have both a Grace Design m903 DAC (192K, no DSD) whichlast year that was supplanted by a Mytek 192K DSD DAC.

I quite like the Mytek - and its DSD128 capability is now working fully as I'm planning on capturing some existing recordings at DSD128 using a Korg MR2000S and I really wanted transparent PCM/DSD playback using the DAC which is primarily why I bought it. 

It seems though that 32 bit/384K PCM + DSD128 is the new standard - which the Mytek partly can't handle (whether it's needed is another thing!).

I am really tempted by some of the new DAC's on the market - the Auralic Vega that ted_b referenced earlier (though that's more than I need) and the new DAC from exaSound which is even better than the Vega  based on their specs - the e20 and it costs a fair bit less too - at CAD$2499-.   

http://www.exasound.com/e20DAC/e20DACOverview.aspx

I am thinking about trialling it and comparing it with the Mytek if I can ... though if I trial it I'll likely end up buying it due to the cost of customs duty (15%) and two-way shipping to Australia.

wisnon

« Reply #57 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:25 pm »
Does the e20 from ExaSound have a FEMTO clock?

I am puzzled as to why you think it has better specs than the Auralic:

With Sanctuary Audio Processor as heart, AURALiC introduces several cutting-edge technology for VEGA: Megahertz upsampling algorithm up-samples all PCM music to 1.5MHz in 32bit; Femto Master Clock provides an ultimate clock precision with jitter only 82 femtoseconds(0.082 picosecond). Binding with other AURALiC's patented technologies such as 'ORFEO Class-A module' and discrete 'Purer-Power™ solution', VEGA will bring high resolution music playback experience to climax.

VEGA supports all high resolution music formats including DXD(352.8KS/s, 384KS/s in 32bit) as well as DSD stream at 2.8224MHz and 5.6448MHz. Five digital inputs include AES/EBU, coaxial(set of two), toslink and USB. The balanced and single-ended analog outputs can connect to power amplifier directly, adjusting volume in digital precision without dynamic loss.

rw@cn

« Reply #58 on: 14 Nov 2012, 05:16 pm »
There will be a DSD upgrade available for the Invicta DAC in December 2012  :). I was looking forward to it but not so much now. DSD product is scarce and the music I would buy is even scarcer. I guess I'll have to finally work on ripping my 200 or so SACDs. This is not a job that I am looking forward to doing.  :cry:

By the way the Invicta DAC is sweet.

wisnon

« Reply #59 on: 14 Nov 2012, 05:23 pm »
You dont have to rip for yourself. Tyson has graciously offered to do it for club members here. Contact him and get it arranged. Apparently, pure DSD playback is the beez kneez, so run, dont walk. LoL

I can believe that your DAC is sweet for sure as the improvement rate is accelerating in the DAC world.. I have the latest Lampizator Gen4, L4 (with top notch components) that can do up to 24/192 with a multibit chip and its breaking in as we speak. I am especially proud of it, as I changed out the digital PCB myself for the latest cutting edge version.