Titan Hum.

thugh

Titan Hum.
« on: 18 Jun 2010, 08:56 pm »
One of my Titans has developed an occasional hum.  Pretty sure its not a ground loop or bad connection as the sub has been hooked up fine for four years.  I came accross this fix for the Titan XL.  Does the Titan XL and original Titan have the same potential issue?

Thanks in advance.

Occasional a Force XL or Titan XL will develop a slight mechanical hum. The windings on the transformer have heated up and cooled down and have shifted ever so slightly and now are causing the hum.

It is simple to eliminate the hum. First, unplug the amp and let it set 5 minutes to allow all the energy stored in the capacitors to dissipate. Remove the six screws that hold the amp to the cabinet. You will notice that the round, torroidal transformer is held in place by a bolt that runs through the middle of the transformer and is terminated with a Phillips head in the middle of the heatsink area on the outside of the amp. You will need to loosen the nut with a wrench while holding the screw with a Phillips head screw driver. With the nut loose, rotate the transformer about 1/4" to the right or left and tighten the nut down onto the transformer. Secure the amp back into the cabinet, plug it in and you are ready to go.

srb

Re: Titan Hum.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2010, 09:22 pm »
I don't know, but the ground loop and bad connection scenarios will produce hum heard through the speaker driver.

The fix for the Force XL and Titan XL that you quoted is addressing mechanical hum coming from the transformer and the metal plate it's mounted to, and not through the speaker driver.

So I don't know which type of hum you are referring to, but if it is the mechanical hum, I would suspect you could try the same procedure.  Mechanical hum can also sometimes comes from a torroidal transformer if there is a DC voltage component riding on the AC line input.

Steve

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2010, 09:35 pm »
All Titans used similar transformers so the fix is the same. Usually pretty easy and effective.

starkiller

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2010, 03:31 am »
I have a two light lamp in my computer room, if both lights are on things are fine, if i use just one light i get a hum from the Titan...cool eh :)