Jolida Crosstalk Reduction Device

Syrah

Jolida Crosstalk Reduction Device
« on: 22 Mar 2016, 02:05 pm »
I just noticed this on the MD website.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-395246-jolida-foz-xt-r-crosstalk-reduction-device.aspx

Any thoughts as to what it claims to do and whether it might help?  I assume that, like anything in the signal path, it will degrade the sound to some degree.  I suppose the issue is whether that degradation is outweighed by its benefits.  And I suppose its benefits depend upon the degree to which a specific setup has already properly addressed crosstalk and axial tilt, etc.

Thanks.

mav52

Re: Jolida Crosstalk Reduction Device
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2016, 02:15 pm »
I wonder how it compares to the other Jim Fosgate device, the Fozgometer on turntable setup. 

Syrah

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2016, 03:02 pm »
It seems to have a different use.  The Fozgometer is a setup tool, you plug it in, make your adjustments to azimuth to lower crosstalk, then unplug it.

It looks like this thing stays in the signal path and electronically compensates (somehow?) for any remaining crosstalk.

mav52

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2016, 03:40 pm »
Both of these devices are used to set up Azimuth and both are designed by the same person, the Jolida just does a few other things in regards to crosstalk. I will have one by Friday.

Syrah

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2016, 06:26 pm »
Wow.  That was fast.  Well done.  Please let me know how it works out.  Thanks.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2016, 11:07 am »
Azimuth adj. IS minimizing crosstalk.   This is accomplished by orienting the generator (MC) to be parallel to the record.   Hand made tends to skewer things.  If you have a 3 head tape deck you can sort of see results. 
neo

mav52

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2016, 06:22 pm »
Well I just got this device.  After reading the manual its not what I though it was. I was thinking it did the same thing as the Fozgometer plus allowed a refinement correction of cross-talk.  This device compensates for cross-talk and axial tilt and you have to have your azimuth set as close as possible before you begin the cross-talk adjustment and axial tilt adjustments.   The device also must remain connected between your phono stage and LS or integrated for these fine tuned adjustments to work all the time.  The unit is well solid and well built.  I really didn't wait to leave another device in the audio chain. But I'm going to hook up and give it a whirl.

Syrah

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2016, 08:25 pm »
That's what I was saying.  It looks like it electronically compensates for minute issues with crosstalk.  It dials it in further after you've already adjusted your azimuth as well as you can using the Fozgometer, or otherwise.

Syrah

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2016, 08:31 pm »
And I hear you on the audio chain.  Mine is already, MC cart, step up trannie, phono stage, preamp, amp.  I'll have to add the cost of another set of interconnects as well.

Does the manual say that it is best between the phono stage and the pre?

mav52

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2016, 08:49 pm »
And I hear you on the audio chain.  Mine is already, MC cart, step up trannie, phono stage, preamp, amp.  I'll have to add the cost of another set of interconnects as well.

Does the manual say that it is best between the phono stage and the pre?  Yes

Syrah

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2016, 06:48 pm »
I received mine last night.  I have not had much time to go back and forth.

I think having the extra set of ICs in the signal path degraded the sound a little bit.  But that's likely because I only had an extra set of ICs that are a good 4ft long kicking around, so I've increased the total IC length by about double with this in the signal path.  To do a fair comparison, I'll need shorter ICs (2ft and 2ft) to reduce the total cabling from phono stage to preamp.

I made the adjustments on the dials per the manual.  Mine needed very small adjustments (I use a Fozgometer to set my azimuth), I moved the left and right dials only about 1/4" to the left.  But that seemed to move the measured X-talk down.

A handy feature is the switch that turns on and off the electronic X-talk reduction filters, so you can go back and forth.  Using this, there was a noticeable and repeatable improvement in sound with it on.  Nothing that blew my mind, but a definite increase in detail and better soundstaging.

For my system, this is worth the small pricetag.  Once I get my cables sorted out, things might improve even more.

Also, I suspect if someone needs greater adjustments, they might see even greater improvements.

Given the cost of this, it would be such a nice inclusion within the same chassis as a phono stage, with a switch that can defeat/bypass it.

ernest787

« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2016, 06:12 pm »
Sorry for the bump on this, but was wondering if anyone else had purchased this and what their thoughts were.

dolsey01

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2016, 07:08 pm »
Just noticed this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u0vq1H-ijw

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2016, 03:43 am »
Syrah, Mav52,
This is an interesting device.  Everyone says they hear an improvement.  Most people who test this, switch it in/out.  Did either of you try disconnecting it altogether and have the phono stage connected directly? 

The XTR goes between the phono stage and line stage.  What if someone has their phono built into their preamp or integrated.  Do you put it in a tape loop or between the pre and amp? 
neo

Syrah

« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2016, 04:25 pm »
Hi,

I forget if I A/B'ed it by removing it completely.  But the improvements with it in were sufficiently obvious that I didn't have to.  Funny you say that about the integrated phono.  I'm contemplating a new pre that has that and I'm asking the designer if he can build in a phono in / phono out to accommodate this.

Also, I had already adjusted and reduced my crosstalk with a Fozgometer before even using this device, and it still improved things.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2016, 11:39 am »
Thanks.  Your reply makes it even more interesting.  Another $350 to climb on board and check it out, but azimuth must be optimized first.

For those without the means to do this, the Fozgometer is probably the easiest way. 
https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/fosgate-fozgometer-azimuth-range-meter

It's really just a volt meter set up to compare channels, but it makes things easier.  If you want to forgo this device you'll need a test record and a meter.

Forget about Fremer saying you have to measure the output of your amp and get an ear bleed while doing so.  This can be done with the line level signal from your phono stage or preamp.  Both the Fozgometer and Feikert device work from line level. 
The easiest way to get going and to hear the track at the same time is to use a tape loop.  You measure V on each channel for each test track.  The tracks are labeled so you can measure this without hearing it.  You can grab the signal right out of your phono stage or preamp. 

AFAIK there's nothing else out there that can do what the XTR does. 
neo