OPPO SONICA DAC MODS - UNIT ON THE WAY TO MWI NOW!!!

lancelock

Re: OPPO SONICA DAC MODS - UNIT ON THE WAY TO MWI NOW!!!
« Reply #80 on: 21 May 2017, 12:06 am »
Syrah, did you get it? Are you using USB? Mine is connected using Ethernet connection and Jriver is working flawlessly.

Syrah

« Reply #81 on: 21 May 2017, 12:31 am »
I did.  The day before it arrived the power supply for my computer died.  I managed to use an old one (which took me the entire day to configure) and now nothing from the USB.

So if I just plug the ethernet connection into my router, and hit "play" on JRiver, it will work?  What settings would I need to use on JRiver?

Thanks!

modwright

« Reply #82 on: 21 May 2017, 12:48 am »
If you have the app for your phone or tablet, you can connect via Ethernet and then select Network storage from the Sonica app.

If you are using Jriver, USB may be the better bet. In that case, once JRiver is communicating with the Sonica, then you must select USB computer in on the front display of the DAC. Just turn the left knob and select the USB input.

So the Sonica must select USB input and Jriver must see the Sonica DAC and be connected to USB computer input on the rear of the DAC.

Also be sure that power is plugged into both PS 9.0 and Sonica, umbilical is connected between supply and Sonica and that the supply is also powered on.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Dan Wright

Syrah

« Reply #83 on: 21 May 2017, 01:00 am »
I don't see USB Computer In as a connection.  There's USB Audio and USB Host.  It's plugged into USB Audio.

There's no "computer" option on the front display, just USB DAC.

Thanks.

Syrah

« Reply #84 on: 21 May 2017, 02:05 pm »
I have it working with Ethernet, playing on the network using JRiver.  Sounds great.  I'd like to be able to compare USB though.  There must be an issue with the JRiver DAC settings.  Do I need the Oppo drivers?  I tried loading them on Server 2012 - didn't work.  Is that the culprit?

Thanks.

JackD

« Reply #85 on: 21 May 2017, 06:39 pm »
As long as you have the cable plugged into the regular USB port in the back and have selected USB either using the front panel controls or the app you should be good as long as you don't have a driver issue. Don't use a computer with mine so no help there.

Syrah

« Reply #86 on: 21 May 2017, 09:43 pm »
Nope.  It's a no go on USB.  Maybe it's a driver issue.

Having said that, I'm really enjoying it through Ethernet, although JRiver seems to limit it to 24-bit.

I'd be interested if anyone compared USB to Ethernet using JRiver - since I can't.

modwright

« Reply #87 on: 21 May 2017, 10:01 pm »
If the computer is recognizing the Sonica and the Sonica is set to 'USB DAC', then I would try different output configs from J. River. I.e. ASIO and other different outputs.  There is no reason why it should not work.

I have not compared USB to Ethernet myself, but in theory, ethernet should be better.  This is because the signal transmitted via ethernet is pure data and is not stepped on by Windows or other drivers.  This is just in theory mind you.

Thanks,

Dan

Syrah

« Reply #89 on: 22 May 2017, 10:37 pm »
Wow.  The detail with this is simply amazing.

I dropped in my Emission Labs 5U4G mesh tube.  It brought the game up even higher.

Dan - this is safe right?  I ask after having done it...

It worked well on my Modwright Sony with 5687 tubes.

modwright

« Reply #90 on: 24 May 2017, 08:18 pm »
Yes, safe to use 5U4G tube.

Thank you for your feedback.  I am quite excited about the performance of this units also!

Dan Wright

modwright

« Reply #91 on: 24 May 2017, 08:32 pm »
How are you connecting via Ethernet?

I ask this because we are preparing for the LAAS show next week and I called Oppo to confirm how to connect via Ethernet vs. USB for computer Audio.

The Answer:

When using ethernet connection, it must be done via a DLNA connection and all audio processing is done in the Oppo, not the computer.  Essentially the computer is simply transmitting music files to the processor in the Oppo.

USB out to Oppo is different.  In this case, J. River or other can be used of course and all audio processing is done in the computer.

Which sounds best? I don't know.  When I asked the Oppo tech this, he said it really depends on which does a better job of processing the data, computer or processor in the Oppo.

Also, as far as choosing tracks, music libraries, etc., when using DLNA/Ethernet or WiFi, you may control it from a phone/tablet app, but the interface may not be as 'friendly' as a music server such as J. River.

I have found that Logitech Media Server ALSO works as an interface and I believe that this will control music via WiFi and ethernet, because this is how the Transporter/Squeeze Box/Touch devices work.

When asked about the app and improvements to it, the tech acknowledged that the app can and will be upgraded based on customer feedback, etc.

I just know that there were some questions and I didn't have all the answers my self.

To sum up:

Computer USB connection to Sonica (or UDP-205) is still probably the most user-friendly connection and how many of us will still use it.
WiFi and Ethernet are other ways to connect and I know from experience that with the phone/tablet app, it is not hard to play music this way.  I can access ANY music library on my network this way, including LAN.
Optical and Coaxial inputs are also of course useful for connecting to a CD/DVD player, Sonos, Squeezebox or other music source.
Lastly, you can also of course connect a static USB storage device, such as a thumb drive or larger USB drive.  Again, you would control playback via the app.

I hope this helps.

We will be at LAAS next week with two modified Sonica's at the Headphone area, feeding a pair of our Tryst tube headphone amps and a UDP-205 player into a KWI 200 integrated amp in a room with Studio Electric and WyWires.

Thanks and I hope to see you there!

Dan Wright

lancelock

« Reply #92 on: 25 May 2017, 02:06 am »
I am connecting mine with an ethernet connection. I have Jriver on my computer but the processing is done in the Sonica. I can use the Oppo app or the JRemote app on my iPad. The sound is outstanding. Before the Sonica I used a USB connection to my old DAC with an expensive Berkley Alpha USB device. I have sold the Alpha USB and am not looking back. I'm certain Ethernet is superior.

modwright

« Reply #93 on: 25 May 2017, 01:03 pm »
Thank you for that and for the feedback and relevant comparison to the Berkley USB. I have always thought that in theory, ethernet should be superior.  When ethernet is used, Windows or Apple drivers are not 'stepping' on the signal.  Obviously superior to WiFi.

I am very excited about the ModWright Tube modified Sonica DAC from both its sonic attributes as well as its extreme flexibility.  You can have an ethernet connection for majority of your listening, and can also have other sources connected via WiFi, USB, RCA, optical, Bluetooth, Apple Airplay, etc., for different uses and/or for different members of the family. As such, it really becomes a digital 'Hub' for all digital audio sources.

Take care and enjoy,

Dan Wright

Syrah

« Reply #94 on: 4 Jun 2017, 11:17 pm »
I probably should not continue to ask these questions retroactively (since I've already done it) but is the GZ33 safe in power supply?  Sure sounds good.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #95 on: 6 Jun 2017, 09:32 pm »
I probably should not continue to ask these questions retroactively (since I've already done it) but is the GZ33 safe in power supply?  Sure sounds good.

I'm glad it sounds good but the real question is how does it smell :lol:

modwright

« Reply #96 on: 7 Jun 2017, 11:24 pm »
I have checked the data sheet and the GZ33 is certainly the same pinout and is rated for current and voltage.  It may have more forward voltage drop than the 5AR4/GZ34, but this is not a problem. In short, OK to use.  Lucky for you   :D

Syrah

« Reply #97 on: 8 Jun 2017, 02:11 am »
Indeed.  I used it on my Modwright Sony and on my preamp, both in place of a GZ34 - so it wasn't a total flyer!