Dual CS 5000

lcrim

Dual CS 5000
« on: 10 Nov 2005, 04:10 pm »
WooHoo
I just scored a DUAL CS5000 TT w/5 mounted cartridges. I can't wait to screw around w/ it.
It has a Shure V15, two Ortofon HOMC, a Grado and one for 78's.

ABEX

Dual CS 5000
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2005, 08:28 pm »
Great for you!

I still have my CS5000 ,but I have not used it for some time.

Enjoy! The Ortho Cartridges are great BTW!!

lcrim

Dual CS 5000
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2005, 03:50 pm »
Update:
I have the CS 5000 home and dialed in the set up and playing and I'm generally quite pleased.  I'm using a high compliance MM cartridge that Kevin Barret of KAB put together from different cartridge body and cantilever assembly.  The arm on the CS 5000, as mentioned elsewhere, is ultra low mass, so they are a good match.  I tried the HOMC Ortofon X-3 MC and it was painfully bright to my ears.  One person's transparency is another person's brightness.  The surface and groove noise w/ the Dual are very unobtrusive.  Not bad for a unit manufactured in 1987.
The Wright Sound WPL-11 line stage/phono pre is a very nice piece sound wise but the workmanship can sometimes be a little problematic.  I may have to open it up and re-solder some leads but the sound is so appealing and liquid that I'm afraid of mucking it up.  Reseating the RCA males and playing around w/ them always cures it but its a PITA.

ABEX

Dual CS 5000
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2005, 05:59 pm »
System Synergy is often the most important variable.

I have a few carts  and I also have a Grado that is the driest sounding Cartridge to my ears.

I want a Sumiko or other cartridge to try if and when i get my vinyl system back.

Good luck!

lcrim

Dual CS 5000
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2005, 04:45 pm »
ABEX:
I'm not sure if you looking for a cartridge for your Dual CS5000 but if you are, then keep in mind that the arm is ultra low mass and was designed to work best with high compliance cartridges that aren't very easy to find nowadays.  Moving coils cartridges tend to be of lower compliance and require medium to high mass tone arms to track properly and avoid resonances in listenable range.   There are some high compliance MC cartridges, the Denon 301 MKII for instance and I think Van Den Hull makes one as well.  
The Shure line as well as Goldring and Ortofon offer some high compliance cartridges.  I can tell you where to find them because they're scarce but Stanton and Pickering also make some nice high compliance cartridges.  I tried the Shure V15 that was on the arm when I got my Dual and it generated overtones which were annoying.  I had this same issue w/ the Audio Technica AT440ML in an SME Series III tonearm which is also a low mass arm.
Grado cartridges are an enigma to me, I've read many post on the Vinyl Asylum that denigrate them for their lack of shielding and tendency to hum as a result.  They also have problems with resonances also known as the Grado Groove Dance.  Yet there are also those that love them especially for their reproduction of voices.  
Hope this helps.

ABEX

Dual CS 5000
« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2005, 01:41 am »
I have not used or had a chance to look at the Cartridge market.

I remember the Sure's from ages ago and they were great in the 70-80's period.

Van Den Hul is a genius and had the most to do with the revolution of Cartridge design.

Give me a listing of some Low Mass Carts that mate well that you would look at if you would , prices and where to find them also if you have the time.

I am going to be looking into upgrading my system soon. It's still a hobby that I have not had much time for with the exception of listening to music which is ok with me.

We seem to lose touch if we get to invloved with tweeking and upgrading at times.

If you use the wrong Cartridge the rest of the etup suffers to me. You can spend 1000's on a TT ,but if the Cart sucks you may as well forget it.

I was trying to purchase a used Musical Surroubndings Phono Amp a few weeks ago.

THX!

lcrim

Dual CS 5000
« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2005, 02:06 pm »
ABEX:
Check your PM