Amps being used for HT3's

Neverknows

« on: 17 Jan 2006, 01:15 am »
Looking to upgrade most of my system (speakers, amp and processor – moving to separates) and am considering the HT3’s for fronts (and probably a Salk speaker for the center, and surrounds), but am curious to know what existing owners are using for amps with their HT3’s.  

I’m leaning towards an Outlaw amp – 7 channel 200 watts and their newer processor the 990.  Another amp I’m thinking about is the Parasound HCA2205 (220X5).  Is anyone using these amps with a pair of HT3’s?  What other amps are folks using or would recommend to drive these great speakers?

Thank you in advance.

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2006, 01:18 am »
I don't think the Outlaw would do them justice...maybe you should get a 5 channel and a pretty nice 2 channel for the HT3's.

Odyssey mono's work well.

Bingenito

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2006, 01:43 am »
My HT3s are being driven by a Blue Circle BC204 150 watt hybrid amp. Prior to that I used a Blue Circle BC26MKII 200 watt solid state amp.

A solid 150 watts gets the job done :!:

I owned a Parasound HCA2205 years ago and it had nice bass but it was not that refined from the midbass on up. You can do much better.

I would recommend getting quality amp(s) for the front 2 channels and maybe center if you are interested in 2-channel music. HT is less critical IMHO unless you are a movie freak or just have a ton of cash to spend.

Do you mind providing a target price range for amps only?

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2006, 03:16 am »
I own a handful of Outlaw M200 monoblocks. While they are wonderful for HT, they aren't really all that refined when it comes to music. They are excellent value for the money, but if you're going to bring such a highly regarded speakers as the HT3 into your rig, I'd definitely go with something nicer if it's in the budget.

If money is an issue, I'd consider one of Odyssey Audio's Khatargo amps. They have received rave reviews and can be had for around $750.

jermmd

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2006, 03:23 am »
I use the McCormack DNA-500. It has 500 watts per channel and it's not cheap but the sound is exceptional. I bought it after listening to George (Zybar's) system. He has a lot more experience with amps in his system and he hasn't found anything better (yet).

Neverknows

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2006, 04:00 am »
Thank you all for the input and suggestions!  

Bingenito - Was hoping to keep the budget to around 2K for the amp (7 channels) - but perhaps that may not be realistic after the other posts.  Not opposed to buying something used if it makes sense.

Marbles and ajzepp - is that the same odyssey that has a forum here at audio circle?

jermmd - okay, just looked at the price for that puppy...and hate to say, but more than I was wanting to spend...but it does appear to be a VERY nice amp to say the least from the reviews!

Thanks and hopefully I'll see more suggestions!  Give me more research to do ;-)

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2006, 04:08 am »
Yes!

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2006, 04:57 am »
sorry, Marbles, I missed the part where you mentioned Odyssey :)

I'm going to give Klaus my amp business whether I stick with Maggies or go with the Salks.....I've heard nothing but good things about them.

95bcwh

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2006, 07:26 pm »
Neverknows,
  Why not consider Bryston 4B-SST. You can get a used unit for around $2,000. Some dealers may offer significant discounts off the MSRP price.

I cannot comment on the quality of this amp vs other heavy-weights. But at least Jim Salk told me that he did use Bryston to drive the HT3 and see no problem at all.

Rgds
  RV

koiman

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2006, 05:43 pm »
I am using my HT'3 in a stereo system with a Adcom GFP750 Pre Amp. Adcom GCD 750 CD Player and a Adcom GFA 5802 300 watt per channel Power Amp. and it has plenty of power and sounds really sweet. I also just added a Bel Canto Dac 2 This system seems to sound better every day. :P

Neverknows

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2006, 04:44 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.  Looking into all of them.  

Has anyone used an amp from Gemstone with these, and if so how is it?
Thanks

fRsimms

Smaller McCormacks
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2006, 04:21 am »
I have a McCormack 225 that I am using with some HT1's.  It really works well.  McCormack makes a 5 channel 125 watt amp that is $3700.  I know that is out of your range but a used one might be possible.  They also make a 3 channel version that comes available used more often.  The 3 channel with a 2 channel would make 5 channels.