First Watt Sit for CAM

Bullfar

First Watt Sit for CAM
« on: 21 Mar 2018, 11:53 am »
Hi, I am going to purchase a CAM from Louis and I am looking for an amp for it. Actually I have a Chord Hugo II so I wouldn't use preamp.

Looking for the proper amp for the CAM I am now toward the First Watt Sit amps, I like the philosophy of these amps.

Some of you have heard it with the CAM or at least with one Alnico Speaker from Omega?.

Do you think that this amp can handle the CAM at almost its full potential?

Doody

• Troublemaker
Re: First Watt Sit for CAM
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2018, 06:47 pm »
I drive my CAMs direct from my Hugo II.

You don't need an amp for 90% of music IMHO - unless perhaps you've got a big room.

FWIW,
Doody

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2018, 11:07 pm »
CAMs are not only highly efficient they are also very VERY easy to drive. The SIT will have ZERO problems. It's an ideal pairing. I know, because I own CAMs and have owned several (6-7) First Watt amps and several Pass Labs amps. Currently have an F3. I haven't tried an SIT amp, however, so I cannot comment on it specifically.

guf

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2018, 11:07 pm »
I used a Sit2 with a pair of SAMs and then with high output SAMs. Yeah the 10 watts was plenty. I tried a 45 amp with the HOs and loved it but sometimes wanted just a bit more and it didn't have the power I needed. But to confuse things I'm now using a integrated 300b amp. The gauge on the front never goes above 1 watt used. Hmmmm. The SIT2 is a wonderful amp.

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2018, 12:36 pm »
CAMs are not only highly efficient they are also very VERY easy to drive. The SIT will have ZERO problems. It's an ideal pairing. I know, because I own CAMs and have owned several (6-7) First Watt amps and several Pass Labs amps. Currently have an F3. I haven't tried an SIT amp, however, so I cannot comment on it specifically.

IIRC you have a lot of experience with Firstwatt models.  I happened upon an unassembled F3 kit.  Could you offer your opinions of the F3 vs. other Firstwatt models?

Thanks in advance.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2018, 03:30 am »
IIRC you have a lot of experience with Firstwatt models.  I happened upon an unassembled F3 kit.  Could you offer your opinions of the F3 vs. other Firstwatt models?

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry, but I really don't want to write a full rundown of my experience with the M2, J2, F3, F5, F7, F2J, or with the Aleph 30, XA30.5, XA30.8, or INT-150. I understand this info may be helpful to many, but to do these amps justice and write a comprehensive review would be really time consuming ; Time I don't have.

But to answer your specific question about the F3, I'll simply say that it is the smoothest of the bunch (that I've tried). It is highly resolving, as all FW amps are, but the highs aren't as "lit up" as others. The sound is very cohesive, fluid, and natural. There's plenty of tonal density and warmth, while still maintaining definition. Within the FW house, I feel it is sort of the opposite of the F5. I 100% understand why the F3 has been called THE solid state amp for tube lovers...though I'm willing to bet that the F3 is more quiet than most tube amps. I'll add that the F3 is one of Nelson's favorites. With that endorsement, you really should build your kit and listen for yourself. :thumb:

Bullfar

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2018, 04:49 pm »
I drive my CAMs direct from my Hugo II.

You don't need an amp for 90% of music IMHO - unless perhaps you've got a big room.

FWIW,
Doody

Doody, my room has 13,12' Wide; 15,25' long; and 8,69' ceiling.

I have read a lot about the capabilities of the Hugo II and Dave to drive the Omega speakers, it is hard to believe that with only 1w (or 2 with the Dave) you can squeeze the speaker, I mean, it isn't a matter of volume or loudness, but that a moderately to medium sound level the Chords can achieve drives the speaker with all its capabilities. For example, in nearfield listening, to a moderate sound level, would be better the overall sound only with the Hugo II or with a good amp in the chain?. Thats the question. I will try only the Hugo II with the CAM (please Louis hurry up) and will see if my next move is a First Watt (SIT 2-3, J2) or maybe a Dave.

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2018, 11:34 pm »
my room is definitely smaller than yours - about 60% the volume. and there IS music the H2 won't drive entirely to my liking.

my guess is DAVE would do a fine job in your room.

i haven't ruled out an amp - for sure. i'm waiting to see what, if anything, Chord comes up with in the way of digital amps this year.

doody.