A link to a great review on the latest Tekton Speakers at Home Theatre Review

martinr

This review is so good and the speakers sound so interesting (especially for the price), I thought Id place a link to the review here:  http://hometheaterreview.com/tekton-design-double-impact-floorstanding-speaker-reviewed/

Not sure if this is the right place to put this on AC, just passing along info.

- Martin

Russell Dawkins

Eric Alexander of Tekton is certainly one of the most interesting speaker designers out there. He's not copying anyone.
The comparisons in the review to the $22,000 Acoustic Zen Crescendo Mk2 and $24,300 YG Acoustics Carmel 2 were surprising.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
The comparisons in the review to the $22,000 Acoustic Zen Crescendo Mk2 and $24,300 YG Acoustics Carmel 2 were surprising.

Out classing those two for a measly $3000 would be quite the trick. And if they're not "shouty" like or a horn or overly bright in their "live" presentation, then I'd be very interested.

Wind Chaser

Plus he goes onto say... For more than five years now, I have owned the Lawrence Audio Cello speakers, retail cost $18,000. They have been my reference speakers in my big system. I still love them, and they are great speakers; however, I go where my ears take me. Because of my experience with the Double Impact speakers, I have ordered a pair in a special finish and some internal upgrades that Alexander insists will take this speaker to an even higher level of performance. Yes, the basic Double Impact speakers outperformed my Cellos in ways I already explained in this review.

Oh man, does this ever give me pause about my next purchase.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
By: Terry London, March 20, 2017
Because of my respect for Alexander's brilliance as a designer, I was quite intrigued and excited to see what his creative mind had come up with. I asked him if he would explain, in laymen terms, what the differences are in his new approach compared with other speaker designs.
His response was,
"I discerned that, when source masses (i.e., the musical instrument, orchestra, or human voice) and speaker masses do not align correctly, the overtones and harmonic content contained within the source must be skewed, diminished, damped, and lowered in the output in relation to the (algorithm) of the fundamental tone(s) contained in different musical instruments. Live music contains energy, electricity, and a dynamic component that loudspeakers have missed replicating because they are not based on the algorithms that support the fundamental harmonic content/structure of the instruments they are reproducing."

Eric Alexander of Tekton is certainly one of the most interesting speaker designers out there.
Agree!

stlrman

Big thread on these on Audiogon . 158 posts

Russell Dawkins

"I discerned that, when source masses (i.e., the musical instrument, orchestra, or human voice) and speaker masses do not align correctly, the overtones and harmonic content contained within the source must be skewed, diminished, damped, and lowered in the output in relation to the (algorithm) of the fundamental tone(s) contained in different musical instruments. Live music contains energy, electricity, and a dynamic component that loudspeakers have missed replicating because they are not based on the algorithms that support the fundamental harmonic content/structure of the instruments they are reproducing."

I also agree with the point you seem to be making, AJinFLA. That, by all appearances, is the height of shameless technobabble hype. Yet, from all reports I've seen his speakers sound really good. Either those posting rave reviews have totally different criteria for judging sound than I do or they do in fact sound good. I'd like to have the opportunity to have a listen, but I'm not holding my breath. I do like the notion of both high sensitivity and high power handling in one package, though.

One thing that puzzles me is the description of the Double Impact as a 4 way speaker. I wonder where the fourth crossover point is. Since his "Brilliance" design is also described as a 4 way, yet has only single bass and mid drivers and three tweeters, I'm guessing that one of the tweeters has a different crossover frequency, not that the two woofers of the Double Impact have different low passes, as I would have thought.

Folsom

The claims and patents are :lol:. But I'd love to hear them. I fear that if they even could do some things they claim you may say, they may not work with some equipment as in they may be over the top.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
Yet, from all reports I've seen his speakers sound really good.
Agree also. My initial comment was limited to your specific statement that the designer was "interesting". I simply found his quoted commentary..."interesting".

One thing that puzzles me is the description of the Double Impact as a 4 way speaker.
 I'm guessing that one of the tweeters has a different crossover frequency
Regarding the design itself, that would be my guess also, that one or more tweeters have different XOs, perhaps some shading. Seems to be a lot of speaker for the $$.

cheers,

Aj

Russell Dawkins

AJinFLA, I think you being very gracious in calling it "interesting". I've got to say that intentional obfuscation really rubs me the wrong way.

finsup

Yeah, but do they come with speaker grills?

Sorry.  Sorry.  Sorry.  I really hate that when I read Tekton,  the first thing coming to mind are speaker grills.  Not fair, really.

I've wanted to hear Tekton speakers for a long time and I see these have Pendragon transducers. I don't recall reading a bad review on the Pendragons or the Lores.

You know, for such a sparsely populated state,  Utah has some really intriguing speaker companies: AudioKinesis,  Tekton, ZU, RBH, SVS, Spatial...could be a fun road trip.

martinr

finsup,

Yes if you go to the Tekton website (http://tektondesign.com/) they do offer speaker grills for an additional fee.  There is also a slightly upgraded version of the speaker available, better internal wiring with a few other additions (off the top of my head) offered at $3300.00 delivered I believe.  The designer also states he is working on a cost no object design (different design altogether)that will retail for around $9000 or more if my memory serves me. 

I personally would like to see a bi-wireable option.....bi-amping is an option I would not be willing to give up especially without hearing the speaker first.  Tekton should exhibit at some shows so we can audition IMO.  Eric Alexander is missing out on some potential customers by not being an AC member as well.........