Schiit's Song3's

jsalk

Schiit's Song3's
« on: 19 Aug 2016, 03:17 pm »
Schiit Audio, manufacturer of popular DACs and headphone amps wanted a pair of reference speakers for a new audio showroom at their world headquarters.  At first, Jason requested a simple pair in black satin.  But later, he asked if we could do a pair in a color that would match their aluminum cases.  So we chose a silver metallic automotive finish.

Here are the results...

Happy listening Jason, Mike and crew!

- Jim

nocrapman

Re: Schiit's Song3's
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2016, 03:34 pm »
Those look incredible Jim!
You should do more stuff with that finish.

I am still enjoying my Songtowers from 9 yrs back.

desertrider

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2016, 03:45 pm »
What an honor, Jim! Thats fabulous. Very slick finish on those too!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2016, 04:16 pm »
That finish looks fantastic on those speakers  :thumb:

Grbluen

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2016, 04:50 pm »
Jim,
Those are simply gorgeous!

Don

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2016, 07:43 pm »
WOW   :D

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2016, 07:57 pm »
Schiit those look good.  :lol:  Nice work Jim, and the finish does match that of a friend's Modi 2.  :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2016, 08:04 pm »
Schiit those look good.  :lol:

I was waiting for someone... :thumb:

Those look great Jim! Bet that color would match the raal ribbon really well.

Paul K.

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2016, 10:36 pm »
I don't know what anyone else might think, but if Schiit is pronounced the way it looks it ought, I would have changed my name a looooong time ago.  :lol: The Song3's look fabulous, regardless.
Paul

gregcss

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2016, 11:30 pm »
I don't know what anyone else might think, but if Schiit is pronounced the way it looks it ought, I would have changed my name a looooong time ago.  :lol: The Song3's look fabulous, regardless.
Paul
It sure is:
Schiit FAQ -
Is that really your name?
.....YES, that is our name. And yes, it’s pronounced exactly how you think.

Awesome looking speakers. :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2016, 12:56 am »
Hi Jim,

How do you rate the Song 3 compared with the HT3?  I think your going to sell a bundle of Song 3 speakers from now on.

Cheers Rod

geowak

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2016, 03:12 am »
These have a very nice look. Could be a classic....

Kinger

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2016, 01:28 pm »
These look absolutely fantastic.  Not something I could work into my home decor, but the contrasting color with the drivers is great.  I'm assuming the slot on the bottom is the front porting option?

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2016, 01:43 pm »
I'm assuming the slot on the bottom is the front porting option?

That is correct.

- Jim

Kinger

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2016, 01:46 pm »
Thanks Jim!  Is there any significant difference in sound between front and rear porting?  I like the idea of the front port for folks like me who don't have a ton of space to work with between the speaker and the back wall.

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2016, 04:10 pm »
Thanks Jim!  Is there any significant difference in sound between front and rear porting?  I like the idea of the front port for folks like me who don't have a ton of space to work with between the speaker and the back wall.

Technically, I'm sure you can measure a difference as different frequencies will be in and out of phase.  But neither is probably superior to the other.  The main reason that rear ports are considered a best practice is that any port noise will not be directed straight at the listening position.  But we size the ports to minimize port noise.  So it is really not an issue.

The benefit of front-porting is more flexible placement.  So it is preferred if you can't provide adequate "breathing room" behind the speaker.

The bottom line is that this design works extremely well regardless of the port position.

- Jim

Kinger

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2016, 05:08 pm »
Thanks Jim for the detailed answer as always.  I'm VERY curious as to how this design sounds in comparison t the Songtowers.

gregcss

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2016, 05:23 pm »
Thanks Jim for the detailed answer as always.  I'm VERY curious as to how this design sounds in comparison t the Songtowers.
Buy both and let us know.  :thumb: :o

charmerci

« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2016, 08:23 pm »
Technically, I'm sure you can measure a difference as different frequencies will be in and out of phase.  But neither is probably superior to the other.  The main reason that rear ports are considered a best practice is that any port noise will not be directed straight at the listening position.  But we size the ports to minimize port noise.  So it is really not an issue.

The benefit of front-porting is more flexible placement.  So it is preferred if you can't provide adequate "breathing room" behind the speaker.

The bottom line is that this design works extremely well regardless of the port position.

- Jim

Has anyone requested side ports???

jsalk

« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2016, 11:52 am »

Has anyone requested side ports???

No.  I would have to check to see if there is enough room to side-mount them without a 90-degree bend.

- Jim