BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
Re: BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1120 on: 14 Jan 2017, 05:36 pm »
Love the  sound of my my BDA-2/BDP-2....my MUTEC MC-3+USB takes them to another dimension

I completely concur !

After listening to AES signals on my SP-3 via via the Mutec Unit from both my cd transport and BDP-1 the difference is extraordinary !

More presence, more air, greater dynamism... best £600 upgrade that I've spent in a long time :-)

AG

« Reply #1121 on: 15 Apr 2017, 08:36 am »
Could we by any chance see a software update for the BDA-2 to play back DSD files?
It's capable hardwarewise,why not then?
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2017, 10:40 am by AG »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1122 on: 15 Apr 2017, 12:48 pm »
Could we by any chance see a software update for the BDA-2 to play back DSD files?

Hi AG

No the DAC chips in the BDA2 are not capable of DSD playback.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1123 on: 16 Jun 2017, 07:10 pm »

Hi!

While the DAC chips in the BDA-2 are capable of DSD decoding, the problem lies in the sample-rate converter (SRC) used in the BDA-2. The signal has to pass through it for reclocking and resampling as it is a part of a jitter-reduction method in the BDA-2. To convert DSD, this SRC would have to be bypassed and to do that would mean compromising PCM decoding.

This is why the BDA-3 has two separate circuits. Once the machine detects a DSD dana stream, it bypasses the SRC automatically and relays the dana directly to the filter stage of the DAC. This is how it's done in SACD players as well.

I own a BDA-2 as well so I read a lot about it's design.

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1124 on: 16 Jun 2017, 10:15 pm »
Hi!

While the DAC chips in the BDA-2 are capable of DSD decoding, the problem lies in the sample-rate converter (SRC) used in the BDA-2. The signal has to pass through it for reclocking and resampling as it is a part of a jitter-reduction method in the BDA-2. To convert DSD, this SRC would have to be bypassed and to do that would mean compromising PCM decoding.

This is why the BDA-3 has two separate circuits. Once the machine detects a DSD dana stream, it bypasses the SRC automatically and relays the dana directly to the filter stage of the DAC. This is how it's done in SACD players as well.

I own a BDA-2 as well so I read a lot about it's design.

Cheers,
Antun

Thanks Autun

I learned something  :thumb:

james

Cedric C

« Reply #1125 on: 21 Nov 2017, 10:22 am »
Hello everyone,
it's been long time that I want to aquire a DAC. I own a B100-sst and I wish upgraded. I read some test and comments writen about 10 years ago about internal DAC. Since then (2009) I wanted to know if somme modifications or improvments have been brought on its technology ?

I wondered about the BDA-3 if the audio signal 5.1 coming from HDMI was downmixed in stereo and if it could be set by the user ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards

Cédric

gbaby

« Reply #1126 on: 22 Nov 2017, 03:01 pm »
Hello everyone,
it's been long time that I want to aquire a DAC. I own a B100-sst and I wish upgraded. I read some test and comments writen about 10 years ago about internal DAC. Since then (2009) I wanted to know if somme modifications or improvments have been brought on its technology ?

I wondered about the BDA-3 if the audio signal 5.1 coming from HDMI was downmixed in stereo and if it could be set by the user ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regardsj

Cédric

Only 2.0 or Stereo.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1127 on: 29 May 2018, 09:37 am »
Hi James, I've been thinking about doing an article on BDA-2 and I have several technical questions. Whom should I contact?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1128 on: 29 May 2018, 10:20 am »
Hi James, I've been thinking about doing an article on BDA-2 and I have several technical questions. Whom should I contact?

Cheers!
Antun

I would say Dan the designer would be the best choice.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1129 on: 29 May 2018, 10:33 am »
I would say Dan the designer would be the best choice.

james

Hi James!

Can you please send me a PM with his email?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1130 on: 29 May 2018, 11:31 am »
Email me and i will forward to Dan - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

R. Daneel