Isoaoustic Gaia 2 on HT3s

putz

Isoaoustic Gaia 2 on HT3s
« on: 18 Nov 2017, 10:48 pm »
I'd like to try the Gaia's on my HT3s. They've been getting many rave reviews. I'll be sure to report back my experience if I get a set.

http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/gaia-series/gaia-ii/

Not sure what the thread size is for the HT3 footers. The Gaia's come in M8, M6 and ¼-20 thread sizes. They also have alternate thread sizes available but I'm not sure which ones they have.

If anyone knows the correct thread size for the HT3s, please respond.

Big Red Machine

Re: Isoaoustic Gaia 2 on HT3s
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2017, 12:16 am »
I'm not sure the plinths have threaded inserts. If they do I would expect 1/4-20 to be the thread. The plinths attach to the speakers typically with 5/16 threaded bolts.

You could engineer new locations with threaded inserts. Just stay at least 1.5 diameters away from the original hole.

I need III's for my Exoticas. $800 per speaker!

In the mean time I am using Symposium Fat Padz as a cheaper alternative.
http://www.symposiumusa.com/fatpadz.html

Jim has experienced the positive effects of isolation treatments with the demo at Capital AF.

http://www.ginkgoaudio.com/2017/10/02/2017audioshows/

Hydro

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2017, 12:20 am »
I got some Gaia's for my SS-10's when I was at the RMAF because of a demonstration they had there. By FAR the best tweek I have ever tried. The bass is much tighter, goes lower, no boom and the imaging is crazy good.  The threads are 3/8-16 and have to be special ordered, but at no extra cost. Since the Ht3's have only three feet you need to make sure that only three will support the weight, they are rated for four feet. I was so impressed that I ordered a set of Gaia II's for my HT-2 TL's. It has been 5 weeks since I ordered them and still nothing. I got tired of waiting and did some looking around and found some industrial vibration isolators from Zorro distributors, part number 2NPC4 Vibration Isolator. They only cost about 5.50 each and did the same basic thing to the sound. The only problem is that I had to install them between the existing spikes and the cabinet, it raised the speaker about 1.5" and the speaker is a little wobbly:) No kids around so no problem. There is also a company called Herbies Audio Lab that sells isolators at a much better price. http://herbiesaudiolab.net/

Hydro

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2017, 12:38 am »
One more thing, the Gaia's come in sets of four. I ordered three sets of Gaia I's and did both of my sets of SS-10's with them through a Colorado company called Listen Up. I got a 20% RMAF discount and that made each speaker set cost $750. Expensive, but I wouldn't give them back for twice that. The sales person I used was Scott Genaw. If you found someone else that wanted to go in with you, you could reduce the overall cost and not have two extras laying around. I am pretty sure you will need the Gaia 1's for your Ht-3's.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2017, 12:39 am »
Those industrial isolators can be found for $0.49 each.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

Hydro

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2017, 01:03 am »
That is a different isolator but might do the same thing. They are rated at 50psi and the stock spikes might overload them. The2NPC4 isolator has two 3/8-16 studs sticking out of them so they mate solidly between the spikes and speakers. They are rated at 180 lbs each.

putz

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2017, 01:50 am »
One more thing, the Gaia's come in sets of four. I ordered three sets of Gaia I's and did both of my sets of SS-10's with them through a Colorado company called Listen Up. I got a 20% RMAF discount and that made each speaker set cost $750. Expensive, but I wouldn't give them back for twice that. The sales person I used was Scott Genaw. If you found someone else that wanted to go in with you, you could reduce the overall cost and not have two extras laying around. I am pretty sure you will need the Gaia 1's for your Ht-3's.

Thanks for the tip on Listen Up. The Gaia 2s are rated up to 120 lbs (30 per foot) and the HT3s weigh 87 lbs with 3 feet, so I should be good. I'll verify with manufacturer to be sure.

My plan was to leave the plinths on the HT3s as is and just replace the current feet with the Gaia's. Its been a while since I've played with the Salk feet so I don't remember how the feet/plinth/bottom of speakers are connected. I'll ask Jim or tip one on its side and figure it out for myself.

Hydro

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2017, 02:34 am »
Looks like you are good with three Gaia II's. I have a set of Ht-3's and they seemed heavier than that:) I am going to use the 2NPC4 isolators on them when I get my set of Gaia II's for my Ht-2's. The Ht-2's are in an all tube system and it doesn't have enough power to run the Ht-3's. The Ht-3's are my recording studio mixing monitors. I ordered a box of the supply house isolators to try out on my components vs the isolators from Herbie's audio lab. I will post my findings when they arrive.

putz

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:31 am »
I tried Herbie's Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders under my Salks and they didn't work for me. I have carpeted floors over hardwood. Tamed the sound too much.

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2017, 01:34 pm »
The HT3 spike inserts are 3/8-16.  If you can't get that thread size, just replace the inserts on the plinth with the size you need.

- Jim

Nick77

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2017, 02:01 pm »

I use these as my speakers and the results were profound!

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2017, 02:18 pm »
I've tried the cork version and they didn't do much for me. Perhaps the slightly more expensive vibration pads will be more effective. If you do go that route, I'd gladly mail you 8 of the cork for comparison purposes.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2C-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

Cheers,
Lester

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2017, 04:54 pm »

The same brand is available from Amazon for those who prefer to purchase there.  Both cork and the blue (E.V.A.) material versions are available.  I purchased 4x4 E.V.A. for my washer and dryer. Floor is tile over concrete. Worked great on my dryer but the washing machine had a fit and shook like a go-go dancer.  :o  And yes, the washer was balanced and leveled before.  Washer is a top-loader

The distributor for the Gaia products told me they work best in the middle of their range so consider that when ordering.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2017, 08:27 pm »
Big score! Two sets of Gaia I's for $850 on Audiogon. Just what I needed. So perhaps next week I can see if they take this up another notch from the Fatpadz.

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2017, 09:31 pm »
Big score! Two sets of Gaia I's for $850 on Audiogon. Just what I needed. So perhaps next week I can see if they take this up another notch from the Fatpadz.
So you're the one that beat me to it  8)

sam1000

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2017, 10:39 pm »

Let us know how they work. Wish I had attended RMAF to see/hear the demo. I have Pioneer S1X and I'm scratching my head about how to use them with my speakers.

Hydro

« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2017, 01:33 am »
You may need to contact the manufacture to get the right studs to fit your speakers. I didn't see the listing to know what studs were included. I have one extra set of four if you need them. Great deal on those:)

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2017, 01:48 am »
Each factory set is supposed to be delivered with three different thread sizes included.

GAIA I comes with M12, M8 and ¼-20

GAIA II and Gaia III come with M8, M6 and ¼-20 thread sizes

jriggy

« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2017, 01:54 am »

The distributor for the Gaia products told me they work best in the middle of their range so consider that when ordering.

Huh?
Really? 
So if someone has 100lb speakers, and would naturally think the GAIA II’s with a 120lb limit is the one to get...but your saying the sweet-spot of best performance for that model would be a 60lb speaker??
Crazy.
I’d was ready to buy but spending for the big ones is not what I was thinking...

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2017, 02:05 am »
Huh?
Really? 
So if someone has 100lb speakers, and would naturally think the GAIA II’s with a 120lb limit is the one to get...but your saying the sweet-spot of best performance for that model would be a 60lb speaker??
Crazy.
I’d was ready to buy but spending for the big ones is not what I was thinking...

jriggy,  I am not sure so you should check with someone who knows but I think your cup may be half empty.  The range for the GAIA IIs might be considered from 70-120 with the GAIA III being for 70 and under.  But of course that puts 70 pound speakers at the upper limit of the GAIAIII.  So  :scratch:  I am just repeating what I was told.  I did not question it further.  You do bring up an interesting point. I don't think you should consider the range to be from zero to the max rated.

But I think the point is GAIAs still work within their range.  Is it surprising that they would work differently with different weight?  I think that would be expected.