A/V-3 questions...

azryan

A/V-3 questions...
« on: 24 Dec 2003, 08:55 pm »
Hey, Happy Holidaze Danny and everybody!

My neighbor's looking to build a speaker kit having watched me build my Alphas in my garage last summer.
I told him we'll build him Alphas but he didn't go for it. hehe

I'm thinkin' the A/V-3's will be stellar for him.

Danny, I'm wondering if you've got a pick of that trasmission line inside the cabinet or a PDF file on that cabinet for me to show my neighbor?

Is there an open slot then on the back or what?

I'm guessing the transmission line is a sheet of MDF set on an angle between the front and back of the cabinet? Or two sheets inside to make a very long line?

My neighbor probably won't go for the Black Hole 5, so what's good on the cheap?
Polyfil, yellow fiberglass, ugly sweaters I got for X-Mas years ago? hehe

wshuff

A/V-3 questions...
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2003, 04:44 pm »
Sweaters?  What in the world would you be doing with sweaters?  What is it, 80 degrees this morning?

Merry Christmas!

Danny Richie

Everything in pdf format
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2003, 07:10 pm »
I'm thinkin' the A/V-3's will be stellar for him.

That one is a personal favorite of mine.

Danny, I'm wondering if you've got a pick of that trasmission line inside the cabinet or a PDF file on that cabinet for me to show my neighbor?

Here, I made it easy and uploaded the .pdf file.

Is there an open slot then on the back or what?

Yes, it is rear terminated.

I'm guessing the transmission line is a sheet of MDF set on an angle between the front and back of the cabinet? Or two sheets inside to make a very long line?

No, no, no, that is too complicated. I designed it to be easy to build. No angled cuts. Everything can be made with 90 degree angled cuts.

My neighbor probably won't go for the Black Hole 5, so what's good on the cheap?

That info is outlined in the plans too.

See link: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/av3box.pdf

Merry Chrismas.

azryan

A/V-3 questions...
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2003, 05:29 pm »
Great!

Thanks!
Yeah, that looks much easier than the typical diag. cut transmission lines I've seen in the past.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
A/V-3 questions...
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2004, 03:11 pm »
azryan, I recently built a pair of the -3's.  With your help, your neighbor can build 'em, and he'll have a great pair of dual-purpose speakers. :)

azryan

A/V-3 questions...
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2004, 05:01 pm »
Looks like he wants to do it, but it's too cold now. Might be a while.

"-he'll have a great pair of dual-purpose speakers.-"

What do they do besides 'make sound'? hehe

Kidding... I've seen you post movies and music like those are two diff. things.

IMO, if they can play music loud and with quality then movies are a no brainer 'cept for the deepest and loudest of LFE tracks.

He probably won't mind that last octave for his movies anyway, and will probably put them close-ish to the wall giving him more low end too, but I would like to sell him my Shive sonotube sub I built.
Covered in Maple veneer. If we do the A/V-3's in Maple he'll have to buy my sub just 'cuz they match. hehe

For me my dual Tempests are fine. hehe
You've got a Tempest sub too eh?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
A/V-3 questions...
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2004, 07:20 pm »
Yes, music and movies.  Some very neutral, "musical" speakers don't do movie volumes so well.  The A/V-3's do music and also have the output to do your basic adventure movie as well.

And yes, I built a Tempest sonosub, 175 liter, tuned to 17.5 Hz.  Very nice for movie LFE's.

Get started cutting MDF for your neighbor's A/V-3's.  Surely you don't let a little cold keep you from making sawdust in the garage :wink: