Dodd preamp hum

gotmikey

• http://www.biofilm.com
Dodd preamp hum
« on: 4 Dec 2003, 03:30 am »
I've noticed an increased amount of hum in my system now that I have the Dodd preamp in the loop.  It sounds like the stock tubes are adding some noise but haven't done any rolling to back this observation.  Has anyone with a Dodd noticed increased hum?  I have a pair of Siemens 6922's on the way, however I'm not sure this will completely cure the problem.  Also, I've noticed that when I use silver lace IC's between the pre and my Stratos the hum adds what sounds like a ground loop hum.  I switched out the silvers for a pair or copper outlaws and the hum is significantly lowered.  Basically, the hum is LOUD coming from the preamp.  Can anyone help?

JackD

Dodd preamp hum
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2003, 04:31 am »
Try a cheater plug on the preamp or run a wire between the amp and preamp and connect to chassis screws from each.  See if either helps.  

Jack

Danny Richie

Hum
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2003, 03:43 pm »
I think you should ask Gary about it.

I know he had a few people have that problem with the 50 watt amp and I know he racked his brain on it to make it dead quite.

I know on that one he went to a dual mono power supply and that did the trick. Now it is dead quite.

From an e-mail I got from Mark Nash this morning it sounds like they have done the same thing with the $450. pre-amp too.

markn

"noise"
« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2003, 05:15 pm »
Man, sorry to hear you are having problems - I know Gary can help you out!

I have been working with him to help resolve some noise issues.  By taking components to my house and using various setups (different amps, pre-amp configurations, etc), more efficient speaker systems, different power system, etc...

One thing for sure, you are not going to have to live with the problem, Gary stands behind his gear and will make you happy - I know I love my Dodd equipment!  I now have an 8 watt amp, the 120Watt mono blocks, and an upgraded Dodd Preamp!  I am trying to figure out how to raise money for the 50watt amp and the top of the line pre-amp - guess you can tell I like the Dodd gear!!!

Mark

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
Dodd preamp hum
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2003, 05:19 pm »
Hi guys

I have had several complaints about the noise in different componets. And for the last month or so I have been working very hard to eliminate these problems. I HAVE THEM FIXED!!. Now for the guys who have this problem, its free to have it fixed, just send me the problem componet and I will repair it and send it back to you free of charge. I can make the turn around time very quick. Hang in there I WILL fix all problems with my gear.
Thanks
Gary

audiojerry

Dodd preamp hum
« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2003, 07:33 pm »
What a great guy.
Beware, I have Dodd Audio in my audition cross-hairs  :P

BikeWNC

Dodd preamp hum
« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2003, 08:25 pm »
Jerry,

If your speakers are efficient enough, don't you have Dynaudio 25s what are they rated?, I would suggest you try the 50w amp.  It can handle the 4 ohm load, I am using the 50w with GR Diluceos.

bubba966

Dodd preamp hum
« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2003, 03:35 am »
Quote from: audiojerry
What a great guy.
Beware, I have Dodd Audio in my audition cross-hairs  :P

All of the Dodd gear Danny brought to VSAC was very impressive. Great build & sounded amazing, even in those horrible hotel rooms.