A/V-1 as center channel

Nostalgia

A/V-1 as center channel
« on: 13 Oct 2003, 02:44 pm »
I'm going to be building A/V-3s for my mains, which leaves me to figure out what to do about a center channel.

I'm leaning towards using the A/V-1 to get the best horizontal dispersion.  My TV is only 7' from my listening position, so I think the dispersion of an A/V-2 or A/V-3s on its side may be too small to cover my whole couch at that distance.

So, if I use an A/V-1, I was thinking of using it upside down, with the tweeter on the bottom.  This would be to get the tweeter less off-line from the mains.  Does this sound silly, or are there any inherent problems in doing this?  Should I just tilt the center out a little?  Does it not matter?

Thanks,

-Joe

george king

A/V-1 as center channel
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2003, 04:01 pm »
I currently have 3 AV-1s across the front, and am considering building some AV-3s for the front, and move 2 AV-1s to surrounds.

That said, I have the AV-1s normall configured (tweeter on top), and the center slightly tilted down.  I works great, even off axis.  So, I would not worry about reconfiguring the AV-1.

George

horvathcom

what about the AV/3 center design
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2003, 01:03 pm »
I see there is a AV/3 center design mentioned on the web sites.  Would those be better?  My seating is more like 13' away. Would AV/3's still be ok, or would an AV/1 be better?

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Center
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:13 pm »
I see there is a AV/3 center design mentioned on the web sites. Would those be better? My seating is more like 13' away. Would AV/3's still be ok, or would an AV/1 be better?

Yes, there is a center channel version. I hope to have the web pages on it up soon.

It has pros and cons.

It is a sealed box and does not play as low as a ported A/V-1. -3db is around 90Hz, but most center channel info is dialog anyway and this may not be an issue.

The sealed box does work out better for applications where rear air space is limited.

The off axis response is good compared to most side laying MTM designs due to the close driver center to center spacing, but it will not give you the broad, even response of an A/V-1.

If your seating will keep you within 25 degrees of center either way then you are fine, and the horizontal response is good.

Beyond 30 degrees the suck out from the woofers (dip in response) will begin to occur, and get deep quick.

So if you have people setting far off axis and want them covered smoothly too then go with a single A/V-1.

Another advantage of the A/V-3S is that the output level matches the floor standing A/V-3's. All A/V-3's are 8 ohms too.