stuffing the port

audiojerry

stuffing the port
« on: 14 Apr 2003, 08:58 pm »
Danny, I was wondering if there was any downside to stuffing the rear port on the Criterion as a means of mechanically raising the low frequency limit for three reasons:
1. to reduce or eliminate chuffing when the speakers try to play the lowest frequencies at moderate to higher volume.
2. to allow the speakers to play at higher spl
3. to avoid the use of passive of active high pass filter to restrict low frequencies to the Criterions.

I'd like to use an active sub and have the Criterions only handle frequencies 80hz and above. If I can stuff the ports to cancel the lowest frequencies, I thought that might be a good idea.

Danny Richie

ports
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2003, 09:21 pm »
Hi Jerry,

Keep in mind that the Criterions are ideal for small to medium sized rooms where pushing them to their mechanical limits is not an issue.

Driving them hard does give the air around the port a workout.

Stuffing the port will slow the air flow and minimize port noise.

It will not increase power handling.

It will effect the -3db down point. It will get higher.

You would still need to use an active crossover prior to your amp to protect the woofer from reaching its mechanical limits at higher power levels.

You might consider the Diluceo.

It plays 6db louder with the same input and with half the woofer movement of each woofer. It can reach much higher levels with less chance of any port noise. It uses two ports also.

Its cost is not much more than the Criterion either.

And, it's my favorite too.

audiojerry

Re: ports
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2003, 04:20 pm »
Quote from: Danny
Hi Jerry,

You might consider the Diluceo.

It plays 6db louder with the same input and with half the woofer movement of each woofer. It can reach much higher levels with less chance of any port noise. It uses two ports also.

Its cost is not much more than the Criterion either.

And, it's my favorite too.

Your favorite? What are you saying? Your favorite over the Criterion, over the Alpha LS? I'm not trying to get you in trouble  :wink:

Danny Richie

ha, ha
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2003, 05:04 pm »
The Diluceo is my favorite of any speaker we have offered or worked on, including custom designs, with the exception of the Alphas.

The Alphas are just a lot more "real", and a lot of fun too.

The Alphas are kind of in their own league.

The Diluceo is more accurate, is better suited for smaller rooms, sounds as natural, and has better resolution and detail.

The Alphas are life sized, and have impact that grabs you by the balls and involves you.

It might be one of those situations that you have to experience to really get.

Marbles

Re: ha, ha
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2003, 05:22 pm »
Quote from: Danny
The Diluceo is my favorite of any speaker we have offered or worked on, including custom designs, with the exception of the Alphas.

The Alphas are just a lot more "real", and a lot of fun too.

The Alphas are kind of in their own league.

The Diluceo is more accurate, is better suited for smaller rooms, sounds as natural, and has better resolution and detail.

The Alphas are life sized, and have impact that grabs you by the balls and involves you.

It might be one of those situations that you have to experience to really get.

The Alphas sound like the perfect speaker if you "like it rough"  :lol:

Have you made any speakers in the critereon size that would match up well as a center speaker and surround speakers for the Alphas?