Direct Servo Subs in a Ripole?

Skeeboingen

Direct Servo Subs in a Ripole?
« on: 15 Sep 2017, 02:29 am »
Posted elsewhere, but I'll ask here too.  Would 2 direct servo subs facing each other in a Ripole sub arrangement work better or worse than normal subs?  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Crazy waste of money idea?  What's your opinion?

~S

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Direct Servo Subs in a Ripole?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2017, 02:35 am »
I would use this setting only if the subs were well apart from each other, as behind the main speaker enclosure, as all in audio this a personal taste;

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2017, 04:49 pm »
Ah, thee old buzz boxes.....

That typology will load the drivers and cause and uneven response. It is also hard to brace them unless it is done externally, and they tend to resonant at some frequencies.

I don't recommend them for high end audio applications.

Skeeboingen

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2017, 04:57 pm »
I was hoping for open baffle sub-bass to ~16Hz for virtual pipe organ application.  what design would you recommend?

~S

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2017, 05:06 pm »
I was hoping for open baffle sub-bass to ~16Hz for virtual pipe organ application.  what design would you recommend?

~S

We have that. Our SW-12-08FR and SW-12-16FR drivers will play flat down into those ranges in an H frame or W frame design.

You can run two SW-12-08FR woofers with the HX300 amp or two or three SW-12-16FR woofers with the A370PEQ amps.

Skeeboingen

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2017, 05:12 pm »
Cool! :thumb:  That was all I needed, I was under the impression that with open baffle you couldn't get that low without some sort of 'trick alchemy' or something.  Good to know they can do it!

~S

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2017, 05:21 pm »
Cool! :thumb:  That was all I needed, I was under the impression that with open baffle you couldn't get that low without some sort of 'trick alchemy' or something.  Good to know they can do it!

~S

There is a trick. We use servo control. No one else has it for open baffle applications.

Dynky

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2017, 05:46 pm »
We have that. Our SW-12-08FR and SW-12-16FR drivers will play flat down into those ranges in an H frame or W frame design.
You gave me the same advice a few years back and I'm now running double SW-12-08FR in W-frames built exactly to your design.

Although I'm very happy with them and they're by far the best OB-low-end I have ever heard in my room, I could never get them to play any lower (with no more than 3dB loss) than 23Hz, so the "they will play flat into those ranges" might be a tad optimistic, at least in my experience  :wink:

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2017, 06:28 pm »
You gave me the same advice a few years back and I'm now running double SW-12-08FR in W-frames built exactly to your design.

Although I'm very happy with them and they're by far the best OB-low-end I have ever heard in my room, I could never get them to play any lower (with no more than 3dB loss) than 23Hz, so the "they will play flat into those ranges" might be a tad optimistic, at least in my experience  :wink:

Measurements show they easily play flat into those ranges. Room responses may vary. The biggest problem I see when guys measure room responses is trying to measure a pair of speakers at the same time. This will always cause peaks and dips. And sometimes those dips can be down low.

Oddly, in my room I always get about a 3 to 4db peak between 20Hz and 25Hz.

Extension filters and damping settings also effect how low they play. Higher damping or higher extension filters obviously won't let them play as low.