A/V-3S build completed

degroot

A/V-3S build completed
« on: 6 Apr 2017, 01:07 am »
 I am a new member and have just completed my first speaker build.  Left, center, right channel speakers for home theater in AV-3S.  Thought I might share the results with some other Research builders. This would be my first time participating on the circle so also new at that as well.

« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2017, 02:41 pm by degroot »

Captainhemo

Re: AV-3S build completed
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2017, 02:14 am »
Welcome to AC  degroot
Looks like  you've done a great job on your build (any more pics ? ). Bet they sound great too   :thumb:

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2017, 02:31 am »
Thanks for joining us. The pics look great too.

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:12 am »
Very nice degroot, I really like the detail around the tweeter.  Welcome and thanks for sharing.

Best,
Ed

degroot

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:34 am »
Sorry for the sideways pics.  Not used to how this forum works.  I have lots of pics.  Danny said take lots of pics so I did.  Not sure of the best way share them yet.  I documented about 40 of my steps as I worked my way through the project.  I did a special black walnut veneer cutting on my band saw then planed to 1/8 in. thickness on my planer.  Joined the edges together then glued to MDF enclosures using contact cement. It was laborious, but well worth the effort. Did the sanding from 60 thru 600 and finished with Danish Oil and a lacquer top coat. Best thing about that is no thin veneer to worry about sanding through and I can refinish as much as I need to.  Baffles were primed with dewaxed shellac and painted with satin black (rattle can) paint (not my strong point).  First time crossover build and soldering went pretty well.  I did hit the Circle forum a lot for info which helped a lot but never got on to chat with you guys.  I am not an audiophile, but hey do they sound great!  I am so impressed with that and have been enjoying them so much.  Thanks Danny for your excellent design.  I did do the full upgrades from Sonicaps to Electra Tubes and No Rez.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2017, 04:14 am »
Here ya go, degroot.  And welcome!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: A/V-3S build completed
« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2017, 02:54 pm »
Good looking speakers. Welcome aboard.

I may try resawing my own thicker veneer now that I have a jointer and planner.

and yes, more pics of the process please, especially your veneering method.

Mike

Nick77

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:10 pm »
Really nice woodworking!  :thumb:

degroot

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:12 pm »
Thanks Mike and others too.  I am playing around setting up my gallery to show them now.  Thank you all for your patience and kindness.  Interesting story on the ring around the tweeter.  It started out as a mistake in cutting the circle too big at 4 1/2 ins. instead of 4 1/8 ins.  I had to do something to fix that - just couldn't leave all that space there unfilled.  I cut another piece of black walnut veneer, planed it and set up my Jasper circle cutter to match the interior and exterior diameters of the ring, then cut them out.  Of course they did not fit perfectly.  I used a drum sander on my drill press to sand the circles down to fit perfectly around the tweeter and inside the mdf space saving my blunder.  However, I like very much how it turned out visually better than the original plane look which is still in my center channel speaker.  Oh for a CNC system that would make all that so much easier!

UPDATE:  I just added more pics in an album on my gallery on my experiences in making your own veneer.  Of course there is a lot more detail omitted than the pics & captions can tell. I would be happy to share those with anyone interested.
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2017, 11:03 pm by degroot »

AlmstRet

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2017, 11:36 pm »
Nice job, degroot.  :D  Boy, a new member and already completed GR projects to show.  Ok, I'm feeling the pressure... :oops: so I better get on the stick!  Sorry, where is your gallery? I'd love to see your project pics.

degroot

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2017, 12:41 am »
My gallery can be accessed under my name.  I now have 2  albums under it.

I have added all of the remaining pictures on my gallery album for the build.  That's all folks.  i'm looking forward to my next build.  Think I might try the LGK's.  My son might be interested in a pair of those.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2017, 12:00 am by degroot »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2017, 01:44 am »
My gallery can be accessed under my name.  I now have 2  albums under it.

I have added all of the remaining pictures on my gallery album for the build.  That's all folks.  i'm looking forward to my next build.  Think I might try the LGK's.  My son might be interested in a pair of those.

Excellent choice  :thumb: 

Mike

cody69

« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2017, 11:15 pm »
Really nice job on these speakers. Resawing your veneer gives a lot of options and is very satisfying.
Is that a Carter guide on your bandsaw? I've had my eye on one of those for a while, since I've been slicing veneer for furniture work I do.

And I too like the "featured" ring around the tweeter. As the saying goes, "the difference between a good woodworker and a great one is the ability to hide mistakes." Here, you've excelled!

degroot

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2017, 04:29 pm »
Cody,
Thank you.  You are very kind.  I am only an amature woodworker. I guess the only quality I had to learn the most was PATIENCE. Also, that old saying "the best way to predict your future is to create it" is a pretty wise one to employ in woodworking and other areas of life.  You must do a lot of sacrificial testing with your wood products and especially finishes before proceeding, then you know what the outcome will most likely be.  Then you begin to get a little experienced and it even gets easier and faster.  Accuracy first, then speed comes later as you get more experienced.

That is a Carter guide system on my Powermatic 14 in. Bandsaw. Tuning up and adjusting your bandsaw before cutting your good wood is critical. A sharp blade is essential.  I use 1/2 in. 3-4 TPI Carter (among other good ones), with table adjusted exactly perpendicular to the blade and fence adjusted exactly parallel to the "drift" of the blade as you feed your wood into the cut. This gives a uniform cut vertically up and down, and horizontally end to end as you feed it through. Again, when your scrap test piece cuts perfect, then you know your good stuff following will also. Sharp planer blade are also essential. Planers always plane parallel to the control side which is down.  So you always have one control side finished flat on the jointer or otherwise prepared. Then the top cutting blades plane flat in reference to it. The thin cleat in my planer sled is on the front to keep the veneer in place as it is being pushed through. I also use double sided carpet tape to hold the veneer down on the sled. Depending on the quality of the planer and stability of the wood, I found my equipments limitation to be about 1/4 to 1/8 inch.  Many good woodworkers even cut their veneer on the bandsaw a lot thinner than I do.  Do it if you can, especially on highly figured more expensive wood.  Some skip the planer and finish on a wide bed sander which works very well if you have one ($'s). There are a lot of good woodworker on the forum doing some wonderful things with their (commercial) veneer especially if you are working with and covering curved surfaces. Thinner is essential for than application. It would be more of a challenge to cut longer wood thin stock pieces for the floor standing speakers at 40 some ins. long X 4 sides compared to my 18 in. enclosures, but I believe it could be done. Also, the edge jointing of the veneer to get a tight fit side to side it important.  After matching my pieces, I edge jointed them on my jointer.  Others have done the same with a hand plane in a shooting jig with the hand plane laying on it's side.  I then tape them tightly together as shown in the pics. then crack them open on the backside to glue together.  I chose common superglue from the box store for quick drying and clear color, but have never used this as wood glue before, so could not tell you the long term effect, but it worked very well and hid the joined seam very nicely. Hope this helps your understanding of the process that I went through and I am sure that there are many acceptable variations that work as well.