I've been enjoying the speakers for a few days. I can't really point out any sound qualities as this is the closest thing to Hi-Fi that I've heard personally. Nothing really I can compare it to, but it sounds better than a friend's $100 sound bar.
it sounds better than before, though it certainly didn't sound bad before. I'm sure my setup plays a role, and my receiver may be a weak link in realizing the speaker's true potential (Kenwood KR-4070). Sounds much better with the "Loud" button on, and sounds thin with that feature off (both pre, and post Insignia upgrade).
Though I'm almost convinced it's at least a little better sounding. This is without the No-Rez glued to the enclosure mind you.
Time to pull out the No-Rez, glue it in, and place some fiberglass insulation in there.
Had to cut this zip tie since it was cutting into the No-Rez:
Placed a generous amount of Liquid Nails, slid in the No-Rez, and moved it around as best as I could to spread the adhesive.
Small pack of insulation. It was in an obscure place at the hardware store. If you don't see it, ask someone if they have it. I almost missed it.
Gloves to combat the insulation itch.
Gently stuffed in as much as I could.
Opened up the other one, and wait, what the hell is that fuzzy stuff?
Oh my god.
This is a nightmare.
I'm pretty sure the reason that the No-Rez didn't stick initially is because the water putty wasn't completely dry. It obviously had enough moisture to start a small alien colony.
At this point, over the next two weeks I tried to combat the mold with a combination of whatever disinfectant I could find in the house, heat from a hairdryer, leaving it in the sun, and a water and bleach mixture.
At a point I was fed up, and glued the No-Rez in anyways, hoping that would kill whatever was under there (but I'm no mold-killing expert).
Lots of bleach-water sprayed in there.
About two weeks after trying to treat this, it looked like it was dead. Or at least it looked like it wasn't spreading. None of that black stuff would come off, so I figured it was stained permanently, and I could just throw it back together now.
I'd like to note that the Water Putty felt more dry now (not that I didn't think it was dry before). Please let that Water Putty cure for a bit.
I put everything together, AAAAAND the speaker didn't work.
From initially finding the mold, to posting this now, I've been listening to music through one speaker. It sounded good, but I was so disheartened that I wanted to just toss these and look for another pair.
I decided to at least try to yank the board out, and see if I can find the issue.
Pulled the board out (wasn't too much Liquid Nails on there).
And behold the corroded post contacts.
Twisted some wire on the good section under the heat shrink, and hooked up the driver to test.
And it still works!
This at least gave me some inspiration to keep going with this project.
The only thing that I absolutely loathed
is that mold.
I ripped out the No-Rez and just found more nightmare fuel.
My question at this point is, how hard would it be to design a new enclosure for this? No way I'm keeping that old one.
Can I just create a ported rectangle with the same volume, and call it a day?