Considering Used Super V but NX-Otica is also on the table considering...

bdp24

Perry, do you prefer Rockwool to Owens Corning 703? I need to put up some absorption on the wall behind my listening position. Behind the speakers (dipole panels and the OB/Dipole Subs) on the opposite wall I'll be using diffusion.

PDR

• May the best man win
Perry, do you prefer Rockwool to Owens Corning 703? I need to put up some absorption on the wall behind my listening position. Behind the speakers (dipole panels and the OB/Dipole Subs) on the opposite wall I'll be using diffusion.

Cant say, I've never used Owens Corning 703 for audio.
I've used a lot of different types of insulation for work, the semi rigid Owens
could get pricey if you need a lot.
A bag of Roxul Safe n' Sound goes a long way.

I can tell you that if you are using panels, leave them away from the
wall. Mine are 4" thick and stand out from the wall about 3".

bdp24

Thanks, I'll check it out.

danvprod

Someone has 4 of these posted for sale locally, do you think they would be a good idea for my corners?

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-soffit-bass-trap/

persisting1

Someone has 4 of these posted for sale locally, do you think they would be a good idea for my corners?

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-soffit-bass-trap/

I would jump on those if I were you.

danvprod

Super Vs are here! I ended up purchasing the pair that @Hal had for sale. Took the drive up to him and now they are set up in my listening room. I also had a chance to hear @Hal's amazing line arrays.

I'll plan on getting everything dialed in tomorrow, but for now I plugged everything in and had no hum coming through the woofers.

Getting the new woofers mounted in the pre-built Vs was an exercise in patience for sure, navigating around the NoRez.

danvprod

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Glad it all worked out and you are getting them dialed in.  :)

Nick77

Those look awesome! Congrats.........   :thumb:

Shakeydeal

Looks great. Congratulations!  :thumb:

Shakey

rockdrummer

Congrats! I recently installed woofers, and I can see how that would have been tricky with no rez installed.

Looking forward to your input on the sound.
Ben

danvprod

More pictures
[1] Better shot of how they look in my room

[2] Profile showing the maple burst finish on the side panels.

[3] Close up of wood on side panel.

[4] Rear of Super V

[5] Crossover close up

[6] Woofers and wiring harness

[7] Decware MiniTorii amp with line level outs to power the sub amps

[8] Sub amp settings -- still tweaking bass level, but had to turn down quite a bit to match output from my 4 watt amp.

Shakeydeal

Looks good. Just a suggestion though. I was using line level inputs to the sub, but I switched to the high level inputs and the sound is MUCH improved. You should try it and see what you think.

Shakey

danvprod

Interesting @shakey. I wonder why that is? I will try that as well.

danvprod

Amazing how much bass these H-frames put out. Just in awe. First track from Neil Young's Le Noise has some serious power. They are speakers made for rock for sure. Need bass traps though, definitely need some bass absorption bad.

Shakeydeal

Amazing how much bass these H-frames put out. Just in awe. First track from Neil Young's Le Noise has some serious power. They are speakers made for rock for sure. Need bass traps though, definitely need some bass absorption bad.

Well part of the reason for me is that my preamp at the time didn't have an extra output, so I had to use a splitter. Then the impedence of the sub amp is added to the main amp. I think my preamp didn't like that. It's much, much better using speaker level. And it's easier to get the sub blended with the main driver this way.

Shakey

danvprod

Ah that makes sense. I fortunately do not need to use a split on my main amp as it has a separate line level out that is tied to the volume control. And is passes through the same tube preamp stage of the amp, which is giving the plate amps the same sonic signature as the mains (also a good thing). I haven't done any measurements yet, but they seem pretty to integrate.

I did get a pair of the fMod line level passive HP filters, but I don't see any way to make those work with my amp without a splitter. It would be nice to free the amp from having to reproduce those low frequencies, but I don't know what trade off is better (run the tube amp full range and use the line outs to the plate amps, giving the plate amps the same tube sig. as the mains) vs. getting the extra power out of the tube amp. I'll play around with it.

Captainhemo

Gorgeous speakers man   8)

danvprod

Thanks @Captainhemo.

For those who have painted the magnets on the front 12" subwoofer black, what paint has worked well for this task? I likely will end up doing that.

Shakeydeal

Do you intend to pull the woofers out to paint?