Servo system connections

THROWBACK

Servo system connections
« on: 20 Jan 2017, 03:03 pm »
I have a three-stack of 12" 16-Ohm OB servo woofers on each channel of my LS-9 speaker system.  At the moment I am running Danny's solid copper wire - - for both signal and servo - -  from each individual speaker all the way to A370 servo amps.

The thing is, I already own a nice set of MG Audio speaker cables that I would like to try on the signal side (with Speakon connectors) to see if they make any difference. But that brings up a question about the servo side.  Should the quality of the servo wire make any difference? I can think of theoretical reasons why it might (if I used grossly deficient stuff with lots of Henrys, Farads and Ohms in the way, for example). I have also read that the length of the servo wire makes a difference - - that the amps should be mounted close to the speakers.

But has anyone actually experimented with the servo wire? Results; conclusions?

Thanks.

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
Re: Servo system connections
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2017, 06:50 pm »
Servo design such as ours is less suceptive to speaker cable effects.  I tried a couple of different cables in the past, the effect on sensing coil connection is slightly more obvious.  But they are all much less than the speaker cables or inteconnects used in standard nonservo type of connection. Certainly your milage may vary. 

THROWBACK

Re: Servo system connections
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2017, 12:19 am »
Yes, I am not expecting much of a difference by changing speaker cables; but I have a pair of good ones, so why not experiment?

Just wondering if anyone else has played around with the servo wire.