New NX-Otica MTM section only

Captainhemo

Re: New NX-Otica MTM section only
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2016, 01:44 am »
Jay,

Looking good and a lot easier to glue up with the dowels to keep things from moving.

Mike

Thanks Mike, 
as you  know, gluing up the  wedge shaped cabinets can be a bit of  PITA, the dowels really do make it  easy.  Another thing guys can do to aid is buy a 2x2, cut a couple of  24"  pieces, then  slice the edge off each at 10 degrees.  You can then   run  one up  each side of the baffle against the wings and  you  end up  with a 90 degree surface for  some clamps to squeeze the wins tight against the baffle. 

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 4 Sep 2016, 02:18 am »
Thanks Mike, 
as you  know, gluing up the  wedge shaped cabinets can be a bit of  PITA, the dowels really do make it  easy.  Another thing guys can do to aid is buy a 2x2, cut a couple of  24"  pieces, then  slice the edge off each at 10 degrees.  You can then   run  one up  each side of the baffle against the wings and  you  end up  with a 90 degree surface for  some clamps to squeeze the wins tight against the baffle. 

jay

Just be sure to cover the clamping guides with packing tape so they don't get stuck to the cabinet when the glue dries.  :green:

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #22 on: 4 Sep 2016, 06:18 am »
Just be sure to cover the clamping guides with packing tape so they don't get stuck to the cabinet when the glue dries.  :green:

Mike

Gee Mike, I thought the speakers might look really good with clamps attached, more of an industrial look :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2016, 01:20 pm »
Gee Mike, I thought the speakers might look really good with clamps attached, more of an industrial look :thumb:

Oh, the clamps will come off OK, it's the boards used to keep the parts aligned that might decide to stick around and become a part of the speaker :green:

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2016, 02:49 pm »
Oh, the clamps will come off OK, it's the boards used to keep the parts aligned that might decide to stick around and become a part of the speaker :green:

Mike

Then they're called enhancements.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2016, 02:59 pm »
Danny, what is the hook up wire you are using in the first picture?

Rocket Ronny

Captainhemo

« Reply #26 on: 4 Sep 2016, 03:42 pm »
Peter,  exactly  :lol:

Ron, pretty sure it is  his (Danny's) OFC 16ga solid core wire w/teflon jacket. Works well in a 4 or 6 conductor braid for speaker cables too , pretty good results

jay
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2016, 06:26 pm by Captainhemo »

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #27 on: 4 Sep 2016, 06:08 pm »
Nice, thanks.

Rocket Ronny

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2016, 11:53 pm »
Peter,  exactly  :lol:

Ron, pretty sure it is  his (Danny's) OFC 16ga solid core wire w/teflon jacket. Works well in a 4 or 6 conductor braid for speaker cables too , pretty good results

jay

Yep, that's what it is, Danny's normal internal/speaker wire.

It looks a little odd because I wired these up to check the NX-Ottica networks I built for another AC member. Since the wire on the networks was long enough to reach the drivers in a full size NX-Ottica I was able to set the boards on the floor next to the speakers and the wire reached up to the back of the MTM section. All I needed to do then was run wires from the drivers to the back of the cabinets so I could hook the networks up with alligator clips.

I thought this would make it easier for Danny to measure the speakers and tweak the network for the MTM section so I left them wired this way when I sent the speakers to him.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 5 Sep 2016, 07:32 pm »
Jay,

You said the flatpacks are 24-1/2" tall sitting on the 1" base. Where does that put the center of the tweeter?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 6 Sep 2016, 02:49 am »
Jay,

You said the flatpacks are 24-1/2" tall sitting on the 1" base. Where does that put the center of the tweeter?

Mike

14" from bottom of base, so, if  a person sits these on top of a dual  h-frame, the tweeter will  be very close to the same height as the NX-Ottica.  Remember how good the vertical off  axis performance is ? Witheh NX-Ottica, yo ucan  get up out of achair  and not  notice any  change :thumb:

here's a a couple pics of the cabinet with a trimmed up  top edge on the baffle

A couple of the front and rear sides of the  baffle itself

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 9 Sep 2016, 07:01 pm »
Okay guys....

The total price for the kit and CNC cut MTM cabinets (as show in the pics) is $939. Not including tweeters.

They are now available.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2017, 03:31 pm by Danny Richie »

ebag4

« Reply #32 on: 19 Sep 2016, 02:42 am »
Okay guys....

The total price for the kit and CNC cut MTM cabinets (as show in the pics) is $939.

They are now available.
Does that include the Neo3PDR? Your new tweeter?  I'm guessing not.

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 19 Sep 2016, 01:26 pm »
Does that include the Neo3PDR? Your new tweeter?  I'm guessing not.

Thanks,
Ed

That includes the custom Neo 3 tweeter from Serenity stock.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2016, 04:20 pm by Danny Richie »

ebag4

« Reply #34 on: 19 Sep 2016, 02:25 pm »
That includes the custom Neo 3 tweeter from Serenity stock.
That's a pretty great deal, $240. for the Neo3's and the flat pack, I gave over $200.00 for the last pair of Neo3s I bought .

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 19 Sep 2016, 03:14 pm »
That's a pretty great deal, $240. for the Neo3's and the flat pack, I gave over $200.00 for the last pair of Neo3s I bought .

Best,
Ed

Oops, sorry about that. That price did not include the tweeters. I had NX-Otica and NX-Treme models on my mind.

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 19 Sep 2016, 03:19 pm »
I configured crossovers for the Neo 3 pdr and standard Neo 3's for the MTM model. I also now have a way to modify standard Neo 3's to a custom unit like the ones made for Serenity Acoustics.

I don't think PE ever got any of the promised drivers from Christy Digital, but they do have some of the standard Neo 3's from the shipment that they got from Christy Digital of old inventory.

I can supply the kit with some of the Serenity tweeters as well, but I'd really like to hang onto most of them for the limited number of NX-Treme's.

AKLegal

« Reply #37 on: 30 Sep 2016, 06:25 pm »
Hey folks, I received a MTM flat pack from Captainhemo earlier this week.  Shipping was really fast considering the journey he has to go on just to get the packs to UPS. They were packed extremely well - so well that I think that the only way they could be damaged during shipping would be if someone intentionally tried to do so and even then I think it would be difficult.  I did a rough dry fit with drivers and everything fit perfectly.  The work itself looks amazing but you can probably tell that from his pictures.  Miraculously there was not a spec of mdf dust/residue on any of the pieces or in the box :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #38 on: 1 Oct 2016, 01:33 am »
Hey folks, I received a MTM flat pack from Captainhemo earlier this week.  Shipping was really fast considering the journey he has to go on just to get the packs to UPS. They were packed extremely well - so well that I think that the only way they could be damaged during shipping would be if someone intentionally tried to do so and even then I think it would be difficult.  I did a rough dry fit with drivers and everything fit perfectly.  The work itself looks amazing but you can probably tell that from his pictures.  Miraculously there was not a spec of mdf dust/residue on any of the pieces or in the box :thumb:

Thanks for the  feedback, appreciate it!  Not  so sure how you received no dust, it's usually free    :lol:

jay

AKLegal

« Reply #39 on: 1 Oct 2016, 01:54 pm »
Thanks for the  feedback, appreciate it!  Not  so sure how you received no dust, it's usually free    :lol:

jay

Yeah, I'm not sure how that happened lol.