Great combo!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Great combo!
« on: 18 Jul 2016, 07:50 pm »
So I recently picked up a used pair of AV123 Strata Minis and put them into my main rig.  I decided not to use the built in subs in favor of my OB subs.  Man!  What a great combo!  Since the AV123 forum disappeared there isn't a whole lot of info on these speakers.  I found some helpful tips here and definitely plan on upgrading the crossovers however I was wondering if there are any current or previous owners with any tips as far as set up, placement.  I feel like I'm getting great sound out of them but imaging still seems a bit diffuse.  I spent a lot of time getting the channels of my tube preamp balanced which in turn led me to readjust my OB subs.  Maybe it's the stock caps but it just seems like the resolution could be better.  Not that I'm complaining.    As it currently stands I'm still getting the best sound I've ever had!  Kick drums sound ridiculous even at moderate volume levels!  :rock:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Great combo!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2016, 07:56 pm »
Try aiming the servo subs at the listening position as well.  Looks like you might have a laser pointer, so use that to aim both speakers to the same listening spot.

If you have a measuring mic and Room EQ Wizard that might help dial in the midbass to servo subs crossovers.  Works well here.

They are fun speakers to listen to. 

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2016, 08:12 pm »
I tend to think not aiming them so they are firing directly flat at a wall will help them sound better. I couldn't say if that means firing at the listening position would be best, but I'm sure it's easy enough to rotate them around to find out.

corndog71

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2016, 08:43 pm »
To clarify, I was referring to the Minis.  The subs work just fine.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2016, 10:51 pm »
I feel like I'm getting great sound out of them but imaging still seems a bit diffuse.

Because that room is very reflective!

sandbagger

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2016, 10:54 pm »
they respond well to some basic xover upgrades without getting crazy, but if you want to go crazy they just get better.
since you have the subs no real need to use the built in units on the Mini's as I always thought that was a weak point, was even at one point looking to do an upgrade for that.

BTW I might still have a tweeter or 2 left for those, and I think Danny might have a different one for replacement to if its ever needed.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:45 pm »
Folks used to have success just spiking the back of the speaker to fire the drivers straight ahead.  That might give you a little less diffuse sound from them.

*Scotty*

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:34 am »
You might find this 6moons review an interesting read.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/stratamini/stratamini.html
Scotty

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2016, 01:17 am »
The Strata Mini crossovers inside view from the review.

Air core inductors, polypropylene caps and wire wound resistors.  Skiing Ninja use to have an upgrade for them.  I am sure Danny knows them very well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2016, 02:14 pm »
I just e-mailed you a quote for some parts upgrades.

Stimpy

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2016, 03:48 pm »
I have a pair of Monsoon FPF-600 speakers.  They are a small 3-way tower, somewhat similar to your Mini's, as they use the same midrange panel.  With my speakers, they take quite a bit of tow in, to sharpen up the imaging, as that planar mid is a bit directional.  So, definitely spread your Mini's out a bit more, then aim them more towards your head.  Focus the angle to just behind your head.  Mine image really well like that.  That should help with resolution too.

Here's a web grab of what my Monsoon's look like.  I have a pair each of the 2 smaller models.  I wish Danny could update my crossovers...!  But, I don't think he'd want me to ship him the whole speakers...!   :cry:

corndog71

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2016, 05:28 pm »
I have a pair of Monsoon FPF-600 speakers.  They are a small 3-way tower, somewhat similar to your Mini's, as they use the same midrange panel.  With my speakers, they take quite a bit of tow in, to sharpen up the imaging, as that planar mid is a bit directional.  So, definitely spread your Mini's out a bit more, then aim them more towards your head.  Focus the angle to just behind your head.  Mine image really well like that.  That should help with resolution too.

Here's a web grab of what my Monsoon's look like.  I have a pair each of the 2 smaller models.  I wish Danny could update my crossovers...!  But, I don't think he'd want me to ship him the whole speakers...!   :cry:

Sharp looking speakers!  I'm sure Danny can help you out with upgrades.  I appreciate the tip and will try that out tonight. :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2016, 06:18 pm »

I've had bigger speaker sent over here for upgrades than those.

It could be that the crossover point between the mids and tweeters on those speakers are pushed up pretty high and that might be the reason you need them aimed straight at you to get them to image well. With the Mini Strata that is not an issue.

Stimpy

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2016, 07:16 pm »
I've had bigger speaker sent over here for upgrades than those.

It could be that the crossover point between the mids and tweeters on those speakers are pushed up pretty high and that might be the reason you need them aimed straight at you to get them to image well. With the Mini Strata that is not an issue.

I'd hate to see some of the speakers that you've worked on.  They'd put my little system to shame!

As to the crossover, the stated points are 400 Hz and 5 KHz.  Stereophile reviewed the bigger Monsoon FPF-1000.  Their measurements are here, if you're curious:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/monsoon-audio-fpf-1000-loudspeaker-measurements#B31bwZMiTD0OIVxS.97

Thanks!

Stimpy

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2016, 07:17 pm »
Sharp looking speakers!  I'm sure Danny can help you out with upgrades.  I appreciate the tip and will try that out tonight. :thumb:

Thanks!  And I've always liked the looks of your Strata Minis!  I hope you can get them set up to your liking.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jul 2016, 07:35 pm »
I'd hate to see some of the speakers that you've worked on.  They'd put my little system to shame!

As to the crossover, the stated points are 400 Hz and 5 KHz.  Stereophile reviewed the bigger Monsoon FPF-1000.  Their measurements are here, if you're curious:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/monsoon-audio-fpf-1000-loudspeaker-measurements#B31bwZMiTD0OIVxS.97

Thanks!

Their measurements say pretty much what I was expecting. If you play the mids up too high then they become directional. From John Atkinson: "the midrange units become quite directional at the top of their passband,"

Lowering the crossover point solves that.

Stimpy

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jul 2016, 07:44 pm »
Their measurements say pretty much what I was expecting. If you play the mids up too high then they become directional. From John Atkinson: "the midrange units become quite directional at the top of their passband,"

Lowering the crossover point solves that.

Thanks!  That gives me something to think about.     :?

OzarkTom

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2016, 12:38 am »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2016, 01:48 am »
-deleted-

Stimpy

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jul 2016, 01:59 am »
Those are nice looking. I tried to find the company, but no longer. Would this Ebay seller be the same?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monsoon-UPGRADED-Modified-INFINITY-RS-1b-Speaker-System-w-Servo-Crossover-/281729189630?hash=item41985e46fe:g:O1sAAOSwDk5TyJDx

Regretfully,  Monsoon is no longer in business.  They started by selling very well received 3 piece PC speakers, using a small powered 'sub' with a pair of 8X4" planar mid/treble panels.  There were multiple versions of this system, all best sellers.  Then around 2002/2003, Monsoon released the FPF tower speakers, that I pictured above.  These were fairly well received too, with the middle pair, the FPF-1000's winning a Best of C.E.S. award.  After that, Monsoon was apparently swamped with orders, tried to grow too fast, and collapsed.  Their Monsoon car division was purchased by G.M., the rest of the speaker lines went away.

The speakers in your eBay link, are Infinity/Monsoon Frankenspeakers, built by (the well known), Dr. Michael Allen Marks.  Dr. Marks, a.k.a. Magic Marsky is an extreme Infinity speaker lover, and DIY guru.  He spends a lot of time on various audio internet forums too.  Always opinionated, a bit long-winded, but an enthusiastic lover of anything concerning audio.  Nice guy.  You can find many of his creations for sale on eBay.  Some Infinity based, some Monsoon, and some Magnepan.  Plus, he provides a lot of spare parts for Infinity fans.

The Monsoon speakers surface on eBay once in a while.  Usually the smallest 600's, then the 1000's, and rarely, the biggest model, the 1600's.  I have 600's and 1000's, still looking for the 1600's!  There was also going to be a matching Monsoon center speaker, and a FPF-1600SE special edition audiophile version too.  But, with the collapse of the company, those models never materialized.  A shame, as I've never found a decent center to match my mains.

When searching on eBay for Monsoon speakers, be sure to search both the Consumer Electronics and Computers sections.  Their speakers pop up in both areas.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...!      :o