An evening with non-OB speakers - or stepping out on the Wedgies

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
I spent this evening listening to a non-OB pair of speakers, everything from jazz to pop to rock to classical. I would have to say I was impressed. Were they everything the Wedgies are, no. Was the bass the same, no. Not only no OB subs but no sub at all.

So what were they? Thoroughly enjoyable that's what. Clean, detailed, smooth, well balanced and with plenty of bass to not feel deprived. I could sit back, close my eyes and enjoy what I was hearing. Yes me, an OB convert, is singing the praises of a box speaker. If for some reason I had to give up OB speakers I could happily live with these.

Which speakers am I talking about? The N3TL.  Yeah, I know, no surprise since they are the ones in my avatar but I rarely get to listen to music on them. They are in the living room system which is my wife's system and almost exclusively used for home theater. Normally when I want to listen to music I go upstairs to my OB system. However I have been nursing an injured dog back to health for the past two months and he is well enough to leave out of the crate but not well enough to be unsupervised. Since my wife is out of town and I couldn't leave the dog alone I listened to music in the living room with the N3s.

I had forgotten how good these sound and how enjoyable they are to listen to. When you consider they do not have the placement issues of OB speakers and are about 1/4 the cost of the Wedgies and OB servo subs they are within reach of a lot more folks. I realize they are currently unavailable due to lack of the Neo3 PDR but hopefully it won't be too much longer before Danny gets his tweeter and waveguide finished so more people can enjoy these truly outstanding speakers.

Mike

Captainhemo

Mike , couldn't agree more, the N3TL is a wonderful  speaker I was just telling another AC member  who has been sitting on an N3 kit for quite some time how much he is going to enjoy them once he gets them built.
LOL, I know, it's almost becoming a cliche , but I'll say it again, every time I go to my folks place and hear the N3TL's, I  end up with a big smile on my face. That particular pair of speakers was my first GR build and they   continue to impress, just a great  speaker   :thumb:

jay

gmurray618

All right, all right.  I'm going up to Lake George for the week, but I will DEFIANTLY get that *&%@#!%& garage cleaned up so I'm able to get to work.   :oops:

Mike I had a feeling you were talking about your N3TLs when I read your first couple sentences  :D  As I told Jay I plan on making some simple small speakers for my family.  Kids will get an X-LS Encore and an LGK for my wife.  This time I will build the cabinets before ordering the speakers and all.   I'm thinking that will bring my skills up to where they need to be for the larger cabinets.  That's were I got stuck (back in the day  :lol: ) I wanted them to be really good, as close to perfect as possible.  The veneering was going to be totally  new to me and kind of intimidating.  I decided that my long cuts, using a hand held circular saw weren't good enough so I got home depot to make better cuts; I started learning how to you the circle jig and then the garage started getting filled up and work and ...  :o   I have GOT to get these things built an check 'em out!

George

Captainhemo

Geore, get a good  , preferably 1/2" shank, flush trim bit for your router, it will be your friend !!
When you start  your build(s), we'd love to see a thred 

jay

gmurray618

This is what I'll be looking at for the next week.   :thumb:

Add sunshine starting Monday and starlight for evenings.   Upper 80 by early afternoon towards 60 by sleeping time. 

Come on by and have a beer if you can find me.    :lol: :lol: :lol:
Garage is next week  :wink:

Lake George ,  NY

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
All right, all right.  I'm going up to Lake George for the week, but I will DEFIANTLY get that *&%@#!%& garage cleaned up so I'm able to get to work.   :oops:

Mike I had a feeling you were talking about your N3TLs when I read your first couple sentences  :D  As I told Jay I plan on making some simple small speakers for my family.  Kids will get an X-LS Encore and an LGK for my wife.  This time I will build the cabinets before ordering the speakers and all.   I'm thinking that will bring my skills up to where they need to be for the larger cabinets.  That's were I got stuck (back in the day  :lol: ) I wanted them to be really good, as close to perfect as possible.  The veneering was going to be totally  new to me and kind of intimidating.  I decided that my long cuts, using a hand held circular saw weren't good enough so I got home depot to make better cuts; I started learning how to you the circle jig and then the garage started getting filled up and work and ...  :o   I have GOT to get these things built an check 'em out!

George

George,

Man you got your own lake, how cool!!

Definitely the more you build the better you get. The N3s were my 5th build. My first build actually turned out to be a hanger queen which I used for practice. They were going to be X-LS Encores but when I glued up the main box (sides, top and bottom) they ended up out of square. Rather than throw them away I cut slightly oversize pieces for the front and back and glued them on. Then I got to practice with a flush trim bit cleaning them up.

After that, I used them to practice new cuts and/or profiles before using it on a pair of speakers. I also used them to practice applying veneer. Practicing something on scrap before doing it to the project is a very good idea. 

As Jay said, a flush trim bit is your friend. I have a table saw so making straight cuts is a lot easier than with a circular saw but it is not a very high end saw. It's actually a $500 job site saw from Home Depot with minimal adjustibility. While it cuts straight, perfectly square is beyond its abilities. So I use a technique referred to as "purposefully make the mistake easiest to correct".

It goes like this: when you cut and join two pieces together, say a top and a side, one of three things will happen. (1) they will fit together perfectly; (2) the piece with the end grain will be too short or (3) the piece with the end grain will be too long.

The chance of (1) happening are slim. If (2) happens, the piece with the end grain is too short, you have to sand down the entire adjacent piece to make them flush. If (3) happens, the end grain overhangs the adjacent side a little you can easily clean it up with a flush trim bit.

So measure and cut your pieces to make sure (3) happens. The way I do this is by laying the pieces out so the top and bottom pieces overlap the side pieces. I cut the side pieces to the exact dimensions I need. I cut the top and bottom pieces to the exact depth of the box (so they match the sides) but 1/8" oversized for the width. When I glue them up I leave the top and bottom pieces about ~1/16" proud of the sides. Once the glue dries I run a flush trim bit over the edges to even the sides up. I cut the front and back pieces 1/4" oversized in both dimensions (width and height) then glue them on so they overhang the box ~1/8" on all four sides. Then I use the flush trim bit to clean everything up.

When I built out the networks for the N3s I used Sonicaps, Mills resistors, and platinum by-pass caps. I went a little overboard with the Platinums putting them on all the caps in both the tweeter and woofer circuits but I like the results so I'd do it again.

By the way, you aren't the only one who has to clean out the garage before any more cutting can be done  :(

Mike

lacro

This is what I'll be looking at for the next week.   :thumb:

Add sunshine starting Monday and starlight for evenings.   Upper 80 by early afternoon towards 60 by sleeping time. 

Come on by and have a beer if you can find me.    :lol: :lol: :lol:
Garage is next week  :wink:

Lake George ,  NY

The only thing missing from your pic of Lake George (besides sunshine) is a nice wood strip kayak or canoe. I apologize for the off topic photos, :nono: but when seeing the pic of Lake George, it reminded my of my many pleasant paddling trips to the New York's Adirondacks. Back to speaker building  :oops:

ebag4

:o WOW :o, Beautiful work Lacro, did you build those?

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Larry,

Beautiful!!   :bowdown:

Makes my blue rotomolded Liquid Logic Saluda look like a toy

Mike

Captainhemo

:o  , man , gorgeous stuff Larry   :thumb:

jay

Odal3

Those are beautiful!

Wind Chaser

:o WOW :o, Beautiful work Lacro, did you build those?

+1!

Where can I see more? Are they strictly art? Be a shame to scratch or damage one of those.

Guy 13

Really nice works of art.
So nice, that if I owned one,
I would be affrais to put it in the water
not to get if dirty...  :lol:

Guy 13

lacro

+1!

Where can I see more? Are they strictly art? Be a shame to scratch or damage one of those.

Guys - thanks for the kind words, Yes - I built them. The boats are fully functional wood strip/fiberglass construction. The core is wood, but the inside and outside is covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. They are all light weight; canoe is 20#, and the kayaks range from 30-40#. Two are marathon race boats, one has seen dozens of races. I no longer build them or paddle anymore so I am getting rid of them, and flipping to another page in my life which is currently DIY speakers and electronics.

Guy 13

Thanks for the information
and good luck in your new venture.
Please keep us posted on anything you will build,
because if it's the same construction quality as your canoe,
it will be super.

Guy 13

Danny Richie

The only thing missing from your pic of Lake George (besides sunshine) is a nice wood strip kayak or canoe. I apologize for the off topic photos, :nono: but when seeing the pic of Lake George, it reminded my of my many pleasant paddling trips to the New York's Adirondacks. Back to speaker building  :oops:

Nice work.

Wind Chaser

Lacro,

I can hardly wait to see your speakers.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Lacro,

I can hardly wait to see your speakers.

Larry has a build thread for a pair of X-LS Encores and stands  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108371.100

Scroll down to post #110 for finished pics.

Mike

stlrman

Very sharp Larry!!
How many hours to build these? Your cost?
How much to sell them?
Thanks
Todd

lacro

Very sharp Larry!!
How many hours to build these? Your cost?
How much to sell them?
Thanks
Todd

Stirman,
Thanks...
  • Hours to build= 200-300
  • Material cost= $1000 - $2000
  • How much to sell= I've never built to sell, but all these are FS "cheap" as I no longer use them.