Gold

Wind Chaser

Gold
« on: 4 Jul 2016, 05:32 pm »
Last week Ron (Rocket Ronny) and I drove out to Jay’s place (Captain Hemo) in Kelowna to check out the OB H-Frames. When I entered the room my eyes were immediately drawn to NX Ottica. None of the pictures I had previously seen do these speakers justice. Without hearing a single note, my first impression (based on appearance alone) was very favorable.

At seven feet tall, finished in metallic gold paint, they dominate the room and command the full attention. The radiant splendor of gold makes a very powerful statement no other color or finish can; it is far more classy than black or whatever wood grain. Gold makes the speakers look like a prestigious artistic achievement rather than some mundane piece of furniture. Yes, a tall speaker covered in gold is something to behold. A small digital image cannot portray the splendor of the full scale reality of what I saw. The golden Ottica looks majestic, like a super uber high end product that would easily command a price tag north of 10K; and at least 20K with matching H-Frames.

Jay (Captain Hemo) and his partner Don are master craftsmen. These guys know what they are doing. The fit and finish is top quality, second to none. The same can be said for H-Frames. However the H-Frames were finished in deep purple, and depending on the light, they can almost appear black; positioned next to the golden Ottica towers, there was a visual disconnect. Had the H-Frames been finished in the same metallic gold paint, I’d have been left in even a greater state of awe.

DeeJayBump

Re: Gold
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2016, 05:41 pm »
How about the most important part: How did the combination SOUND? :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2016, 07:44 pm »
If you are seeing a pair that is seven feet tall then those were not the NX-Otica. Those are the NX-Tremes.  :thumb:

I just took delivery of the flat pack recently too. Now to get them jigged up and get the crossover designed.

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2016, 08:31 pm »
If you are seeing a pair that is seven feet tall then those were not the NX-Otica. Those are the NX-Tremes.  :thumb:

I just took delivery of the flat pack recently too. Now to get them jigged up and get the crossover designed.

What the heck do those look like.  :o

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2016, 08:53 pm »

John and Ron did see apair of NX0-Tremes out nthe shop but they are unpainted, no drivers  etc, just bare MDF.

The "gold"  speakers he was referring to were the NX-Ottias and the sloped triple H-frames in Midnight purple.

BTW, thanks for the comments John, glad you  liked them. 
I've got the paint code for the Tequila Sunrise Pearl you liked so much  :wink:

And Danny, sorry , we forgot the duct tape  in that shipment   :lol:
jay
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2016, 11:50 pm by Captainhemo »

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2016, 08:59 pm »

Here you go !

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2016, 09:04 pm »

Here's the drawing for the NX-Tremes Danny posted in the original thread back in October 2015

Here's the link:     http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138009.0      Post #2 the dimensions and notes show up better in the original post.

No real need for this now    :o   Much better Jay

Mike

Nick77

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2016, 09:35 pm »
So what is this, LS9 has met its match???

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2016, 05:11 pm »
How about the most important part: How did the combination SOUND? :D

Seamless from top to bottom. OB bass is nothing like boxed bass, thus it integrates very well with the Ottica, which is completely OB as well.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2016, 05:14 pm »

That was just a guess on my part. Must have been the gold finish that played into my perception.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2016, 07:06 pm »
Have any pictures of the gold NX-Tremes? 

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2016, 07:27 pm »
Have any pictures of the gold NX-Tremes?

Nope, there is some confusion here...there are no  Tequila Sunrise (gold.orange/coper pearl) NX-Tremes nor any painted/finished NX-Tremes yet. 
The finshed speakers / subs John and Ron saw  and heard were my Otticas (53.5" but I guess they made a big impression :) )  and sloped triple h-frames (pics in the  Ottica thread).
The NX-Tremes they saw were the  bare MDF ones pictured above
As Danny menioned, he now has a pair of the NX-Tremes as well but I don't  believe they are assembled yet..... coming soon though  :beer:

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2016, 07:36 pm »
jay,
Understand.  Just thought I missed something.   Will go grab some popcorn and sit back until when new pics show up.   :D

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2016, 07:38 pm »
jay,
Understand.  Just thought I missed something.   Will go grab some popcorn and sit back until when new pics show up.   :D
:lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2016, 12:02 am »
The finshed speakers / subs John and Ron saw  and heard were my Otticas (53.5" but I guess they made a big impression

Did they ever. :thumb:  I love open baffles, but I've never seen or heard anything quite like these. So I'll say it again, you work is truly outstanding.

On another note, do you have a catalogue of the various flat packs you offer? Might not be a bad idea, if you don't.

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2016, 02:24 pm »
Did they ever. :thumb:  I love open baffles, but I've never seen or heard anything quite like these. So I'll say it again, you work is truly outstanding.

On another note, do you have a catalogue of the various flat packs you offer? Might not be a bad idea, if you don't.

Thanks John, apporeciate the compliments and idea

jay