Using XLS Encores on their sides

roscoe65

Using XLS Encores on their sides
« on: 6 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm »
I'm (yet again) reconfiguring my systems at home and would like to be able to run separate audio and HT systems in my living rooms.

I have GR Research XLS Encores as front L-R speakers in the HT and a XCS as the front center.  Currently, the XCS is in a wall-mounted shelf system and the Encores are on stands.  I would like to put the Encores on their sides in the same shelf system flanking the XCS to make room for my separate audio system along the same wall.

Does anyone have a feeling how this will [adversely] affect the sound, considering the following?

1.  The speakers are rear-ported and will be withing inches of the front wall.  Given that I am using two subwoofers, would blocking the ports with mini Nerf balls be advisable?

2.  Will simply placing the speakers on their sides have a dramatic adverse effect on the sound?

Context:  Speakers are used for HT and streaming only.  I have two other dedicated audio systems, one in a dedicated room.  Overall system includes Marantz NR1606 in 7.2 mode, speakers include 2 x XLS Encore (F/R), 1 x XCS Center, 4 x Audioengine P4 for rear and height channels, and 2 x PE 12" powered subwoofers.  The room is open plan and about 350 sq ft with cathedral ceilings.  Our listening position is approximately 8 feet from the front channel speakers, and the shelf system puts the maximum width of the front speaker array at 90".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-R

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Using XLS Encores on their sides
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2016, 03:49 pm »
It is certainly a compromise to the performance they can offer you, but I think for your application they will work fine.

I'd face the tweeters to the inside and experiment with your Nerf balls as needed.