BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again

Danny Richie

Re: BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again
« Reply #160 on: 29 Dec 2016, 03:38 pm »
I worked with them quite a bit and this one had the best response.

So instead of investing the money in having plastic ones made, I am going to offer CNC cut baffles for each kit that I design that uses them.

atoluma

« Reply #161 on: 29 Dec 2016, 03:54 pm »
My baffles si already made!  :duh:   :green:

If I send you some money, could you sent me the physical dimension of your waveguide so I can chamfering my bafle?

Danny Richie

« Reply #162 on: 29 Dec 2016, 04:48 pm »
My baffles si already made!  :duh:   :green:

If I send you some money, could you sent me the physical dimension of your waveguide so I can chamfering my bafle?

You'll need to get with Jay and Don. They are the ones making the baffles. 

audiogurujax

« Reply #163 on: 29 Dec 2016, 06:34 pm »
Danny I am building an array and I already bought 16 Neo 10 and I am ready to order 48 neo3 from PE, but after seeing this I would prefer to wait a little and get 48 of these instead. Any idea of when you thing they will be available and would you have enough of them on the first batch to fulfill my order.

Danny Richie

« Reply #164 on: 29 Dec 2016, 07:27 pm »
Danny I am building an array and I already bought 16 Neo 10 and I am ready to order 48 neo3 from PE, but after seeing this I would prefer to wait a little and get 48 of these instead. Any idea of when you thing they will be available and would you have enough of them on the first batch to fulfill my order.

I have to order 1000 units at a time to get them made. So I think I'll have you covered.

It is still going to be a few months though.

atoluma

« Reply #165 on: 29 Dec 2016, 08:59 pm »
You'll need to get with Jay and Don. They are the ones making the baffles.

I'don't know Jay&don, how can I contact them?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #166 on: 29 Dec 2016, 09:53 pm »
I'don't know Jay&don, how can I contact them?

Jay is Captainhemo

audiogurujax

« Reply #167 on: 30 Dec 2016, 01:29 am »
Danny, what is the advantage of using Kapton over Kaladex and will it be a better option in an array configuration than the regular BG neo3 PDR?

bdp24

« Reply #168 on: 30 Dec 2016, 01:47 am »
Not unless I decide to bring out more line source kits. As of right now, no.

Does the NEO 8 used in a line array of 6 need any kind of compensation network of other filter(s) to perform optimally?

jeffh

« Reply #169 on: 30 Dec 2016, 02:36 am »
So instead of investing the money in having plastic ones made, I am going to offer CNC cut baffles for each kit that I design that uses them.
Have you thought about 3D printing them? Once you create the design, you could even share the file with your customers so they could print their own. Even if people do not have access to a 3D printer, we could use something like www.shapeways.com. I am sure there are other sites that 3D print like this one. Having to buy the baffle could limit the creativity of the builder and adds a lot to the kit price and to the shipping cost.

Danny Richie

« Reply #170 on: 30 Dec 2016, 03:16 am »
Danny, what is the advantage of using Kapton over Kaladex and will it be a better option in an array configuration than the regular BG neo3 PDR?

Power handling is better with Kapton.

And compared to a regular Neo 3 pdr this one has higher sensitivity. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #171 on: 30 Dec 2016, 03:19 am »
Does the NEO 8 used in a line array of 6 need any kind of compensation network of other filter(s) to perform optimally?

Well, you can't use a text book filter with a line of them like that. They couple as frequency decreases and output is increased. But as frequency increases they do not couple and do not increase in output. So you have a sloped response to contend with that is peaked at the bottom and trails off at the top. So your filter has to compensate for all of that. Plus there is still a slight peak at 13kHz that needs a notch filter.

Danny Richie

« Reply #172 on: 30 Dec 2016, 03:22 am »
Have you thought about 3D printing them? Once you create the design, you could even share the file with your customers so they could print their own. Even if people do not have access to a 3D printer, we could use something like www.shapeways.com. I am sure there are other sites that 3D print like this one. Having to buy the baffle could limit the creativity of the builder and adds a lot to the kit price and to the shipping cost.

So far 3D printing (especially in high resolutions) are costly and take a long time to print. I am still considering all options though.

My first priority now is to get the new tweeters in stock.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #173 on: 30 Dec 2016, 03:36 am »

This is clearly a business decision that Danny has made, both for his profitability from his design and also for Jay and Don who are making the flat packs. They need to  make money from their hard work as well.

Plastic makes the most since in the long run IMO for the customer but limits Danny's control over the product that he designed. That ultimately costs him and the people he is working with money.

Just an opinion coming from a long time small business owner that understands what it takes to make a profit in this competitive market we live in. Taking care of the customer is the ultimate goal. At the same time you have to protect what you have spent your time developing and make a profit on it.

Edit: I see Danny has chimed in so I will defer to him why he is doing what he is doing. I think volume could also play into any decisions relating to moving forward simply from an economics stand point.

I'm pretty exited that this whole process is happening and while I'm very happy with my Super V's I look forward to Danny's new designs.

bdp24

« Reply #174 on: 30 Dec 2016, 06:53 am »
Well, you can't use a text book filter with a line of them like that. They couple as frequency decreases and output is increased. But as frequency increases they do not couple and do not increase in output. So you have a sloped response to contend with that is peaked at the bottom and trails off at the top. So your filter has to compensate for all of that. Plus there is still a slight peak at 13kHz that needs a notch filter.

Thanks Danny. There those who have used a group of NEO 8's as a line array, but not with your technical knowledge and/or perhaps performance standards. If I remember correctly Ric Schultz used the NEO 8 in his design with the OB sub, but I don't recall if he implemented any corrective filters for them. If you're reading Ric, if you don't mind let us know, ay? Thanks---Eric.