Building the Wedge Bass OB 2x12, A Cautionary Tale ;-)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Building the Wedge Bass OB 2x12, A Cautionary Tale ;-)
« Reply #20 on: 10 Apr 2016, 03:54 am »
Ed,

Those are really sharp

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #21 on: 10 Apr 2016, 08:02 pm »
Thanks Mike.  I completed the second one, they are singing as I type this.  One thing I was able to do with these is bring the neo3 a little closer to ear level, they were about 40" on the stands, they now sit 38"AFF.  I'm not hearing substantial differences so the change is likely insignificant, but logically it seems it should be an improvement.  Here they are in my room:

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 10 Apr 2016, 08:28 pm »
they look awesome Ed and I love the new red  300b BH  :thumb:

jay

ebag4

« Reply #23 on: 10 Apr 2016, 09:05 pm »
Thanks Jay.  I am in the process of building a new base for the BH, I am not entirely happy with the way this one turned out, I am rebuilding in hardwood as it seems to suit this type of build better than mdf, it may just be my build technique limitations.  The BH certainly sounds amazing though, really enjoying it.

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 10 Apr 2016, 11:15 pm »
Ed,

Building amp boxes out of hard wood opens up a lot of possibilities. Here is a pair I'm building for A370PEQ amps out of Bocote. Joinery is through dovetail with a 3/8" roundover on the top edges and corners. They currently have two coats of finish. There will be at least three maybe four coats when completed.

Mike

THROWBACK

« Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2016, 11:30 pm »
Beautiful.
What are you doing for feet? Do feet make much of a difference with the A370's?

ebag4

« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm »
Those are gorgeous Mike, beautiful work.

I'm actually building the base of the Bottlehead Amp out of the Alder wood sent with the kit although I'm working on a repair that may not work out well enough to salvage.  I'm going to paint this one, no wood finish this time.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #27 on: 10 Apr 2016, 11:39 pm »
wow,  those are   gorgeous  Mike   :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 11 Apr 2016, 12:40 am »
Beautiful.
What are you doing for feet? Do feet make much of a difference with the A370's?

Thanks.

I haven't ordered the feet yet. They will be adjustable spikes preferably black or black chrome. They have to fit a 1/4"-20 threaded insert. All the PE spikes I have found have M6 threading. Oregondv has some that will work but are chrome, not black. So I am still looking.

Those are gorgeous Mike, beautiful work.

I'm actually building the base of the Bottlehead Amp out of the Alder wood sent with the kit although I'm working on a repair that may not work out well enough to salvage.  I'm going to paint this one, no wood finish this time.

Best,
Ed

Ed,

Thanks. Alder can have an interesting grain pattern depending on the piece, especially if you can bring it out and make it pop a little.

wow,  those are   gorgeous  Mike   :thumb:

Jay,

Thanks

It is surprisingly easy to work with, at least for this type of application. The beauty is all in the wood. The only thin I have done is sand it up to 220 then apply General Finishes Semi-Gloss Enduro-Var water based Urethane.

This is even easier to work with Arm-R-Seal

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #29 on: 11 Apr 2016, 12:49 am »
I have used the General Finishes Arm R Seal, it is my preferred poly, I'll have to try this one.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:17 am »
Danny, Do you have a starting spot you would recommend for the servo amp  settings when using it with the wedge 2x12"s?  The "H" frame settings seem fairly different than what the Wedge "U" frame needs.

Thanks,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:32 am »
Danny, Do you have a starting spot you would recommend for the servo amp when using it with the wedge 2x12"s?  The "H" frame settings seem fairly different than what the Wedge "U" frame needs.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed,

I started the A370PEQ settings for my 2x12" Wedges at:

PEQ - off
Crossover - 120
Phase - 0
volume - 12 o'clock
rumble filter - off
extension - 20Hz
damping - mid
slope - 80Hz/24

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #32 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:41 am »
Thanks Mike, I'll give those a shot and tweak from there.  Much appreciated.

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 13 Apr 2016, 01:23 am »
Ed,

I started the A370PEQ settings for my 2x12" Wedges at:

PEQ - off
Crossover - 120
Phase - 0
volume - 12 o'clock
rumble filter - off
extension - 20Hz
damping - mid
slope - 80Hz/24

Mike

Actually with the slope in the 80Hz/24 setting you are adding an additional 12db per octave slope at 80Hz.

I'd leave it in the center position and pull the crossover point back a bit.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 13 Apr 2016, 01:29 am »
Actually with the slope in the 80Hz/24 setting you are adding an additional 12db per octave slope at 80Hz.

Good to know. I was under the impression that you only used the middle AVR/12 position when connected to an AVR.

I'll switch mine to the middle position tonight and check it out

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #35 on: 13 Apr 2016, 01:38 am »

Thanks Danny, I moved mine back to my "H" frame settings and started playing with phase and crossover frequency.  When I have more time I'll drag the mic and REW out and spend some time getting it right.

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:23 am »
Thanks Danny, I moved mine back to my "H" frame settings and started playing with phase and crossover frequency.  When I have more time I'll drag the mic and REW out and spend some time getting it right.

Best,
Ed

Ed,

One of these days I'm going to have to pick your brain on using REW to dial things in. I'm limited to an SPL meter and my ears.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #37 on: 16 Apr 2016, 11:19 pm »
Ed,

One of these days I'm going to have to pick your brain on using REW to dial things in. I'm limited to an SPL meter and my ears.

Mike
Mike, hit me up after I have used it again.  I use it so seldom I have to re-learn it every time I use it.

Btw, the reason my settings seemed out of whack is because I didn't use the correct servo coil wiring configuration, I wired the power coil wiring correctly for the in phase drivers, however I didn't know that the servo wiring would change as well.  Now that it is corrected everything has snapped back into place.  That was a relief , I thought I was going to have to build another pair of  "H" frames, mistakenly thinking the wedge bass "U" frame wasn't going to work in my room.  Sounding fantastic now.

Best,
Ed

bdp24

« Reply #38 on: 16 Apr 2016, 11:51 pm »

Best,
Ed

Ed, what are your H-frame settings? Thanks---Eric.

ebag4

« Reply #39 on: 17 Apr 2016, 12:01 am »
Eric, a picture is worth 1000 words:

So there's a couple thousand words  :wink:.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Best,
Ed