Thermal or Mechanical limits?

thirdeye

Thermal or Mechanical limits?
« on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:30 pm »
Hi,

I see a lot about these servo subs on here. I am curious about something in general with "Any" sub.

Lets say you have your standard crossover adjustment on a plate amp subwoofer. I don't know something like 40 hz to 160 hz seems pretty general.

Which setting is actually going to stress the sub faster to its limit? Either thermal or mechanical?

In otherwords would the driver go into stress faster with the Crossover set higher as it has to play not only the lower range, but its being asked to also cover up into a much higher range?

Like if you set it to 160 hz for example it would seem the sub has to cover everything 160 and down right? So this would overload or push the driver faster into clipping?

I guess it comes down to the Amp as well. Does the amp have a harder time playing all super low level bass being cut off at a lower frequency like 40 hz and below, or does the amp have a harder time playing up to 160 hz plus its still coving the lower bass range?

Hopefully somebody knows what I mean here.

I do notice from little experience with powered subs that it seems in general if you cut the sub lower lets say 80 or 60 hz and below you might actually need to turn the sub up in volume vs. if you set the crossover higher?

I am not sure if that makes sense or not. I guess it all might come down to how efficient that driver loaded in the enclosure is at playing certain octaves so all can be a bit different.

Thanks

Danny Richie

Re: Thermal or Mechanical limits?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:40 pm »
On a sub the settings will have little to do with mechanical or thermal limits. You are limiting upper frequency ranges with that control and it will have no effect.

You have to look at power handling by frequency. Your thermal limit is more of a fixed number. In the lower ranges the limit will be mechanical. In the upper frequency ranges the limit will be thermal. And it depends on whether the box is sealed or ported.

thirdeye

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:50 pm »
Hi,

Yeah I was just considering a standard Ported box.

Before I dive into any type of sub setup then I have 2 follow up questions :

1- Basically which in general should theoretically play higher SPL without breakdown?

Setting a crossover to the higher levels or setting a crossover to lower levels?

2- If you run Stereo subs left and right what is the increase in DB? They are on their own plate amps each so to speak so 6db?

Even further what if you add 4 active subs? Would each active sub increase the output by 6 db? Thats a 24 db increase across the board, does not seem right... But maybe it is.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2014, 06:35 pm »
1- Basically which in general should theoretically play higher SPL without breakdown?

Limit the low frequency extension and you can play them to their thermal limit.

Setting a crossover to the higher levels or setting a crossover to lower levels?

Rolling off the upper ranges won't have any effect on power handling.

2- If you run Stereo subs left and right what is the increase in DB? They are on their own plate amps each so to speak so 6db?

Double what you have and gain 6db.

Even further what if you add 4 active subs? Would each active sub increase the output by 6 db? Thats a 24 db increase across the board, does not seem right... But maybe it is.

Going from 2 to 4 is doubling one more time and another 6db gain.

thirdeye

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2014, 06:41 pm »
I actually figured it would be about 12 db increase with 4 subs on their own amps... Or 6 db with two subs on their own amps.

Basically crossover settings will have zero effect on power output handling... Okay just wanted to know.

Thanks