Shipping RM30's

familyfung

Shipping RM30's
« on: 21 Nov 2013, 02:45 am »
I'm considering selling my RM30's to a non-local buyer. Does anyone have experience shipping? I have the original shipping containers from VMPS which actually have never been used, since Brian was local to me.

I've read a lot of horror stories online, including ones about inadequate insurance and damage, anecdotes about various shippers like UPS, FedEx, or BAX.

I found this link to someone in a similar situation (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81676.msg784768#msg784768), but I wanted to see if others had any advice on carriers, packing, etc. For example, will the original boxes be enough protection?

Thanks in advance.

Hipper

Re: Shipping RM30's
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2013, 07:18 pm »
I think my RM30Ms (shipped to the UK) came in a double cardboard box arrangement.

The speakers, with the foot assembly removed, were in a linen type bag, then supported with polystyrene end and side pieces, placed in a cardboard box. This was in turn in a further cardboard box I think.

My speakers arrived OK but I heard that others in the UK had scratches on the veneers, although I'm not sure if that was from the transport or how they left the factory.

It would seem a good idea to photograph them all round to have a record of their condition as they left you.