PS Audio M700 mono blocks

oneartist

PS Audio M700 mono blocks
« on: 15 Jan 2018, 10:16 pm »
By combining a Class A cell with 700W of class D ICE power, the M700 mono blocks sound amazing. The Feb Stereophile review compares them to Theta Digital’s Prometheuses at $12,000. I'm using a PSA DirectStream DAC w/bridgeII as a pre. My 3.6 Maggies have never sounded like this. Big Maggies need power and the M700's move them with nimble agility. Instruments sit firmly in the sound stage. Bass is tight and fast.  Sounds and instruments are actually in the room - it's a little spooky. I have a very good custom built class A/B Stratos amp built by Klaus of Odyseey for my 1.7 Maggies. I was using the Stratos for my 3.6's even they are underpowered for big Maggies. I have reassigned the Stratos to the 1.7 surrounds. The Stratos amps were so good that I was afraid the M700's would not be an improvement. My fears were unfounded. If you pay full price at PS Audio, they not only ship for free, but will give a full refund if you don't like them and they pay for return shipping. I went for a great price without the free trial benefits and got mine at HighPerformanceStereo. These amps are amazing.

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
Re: PS Audio M700 mono blocks
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2018, 12:28 am »
PS Audio is a good group.  I 2nd your opinion of the 700s.  I have the DSD jr direct to the 700s and out to Dynaudio...  Nothing as hard to drive as your Maggies but good results.  I had a pair of very resolving C1s and while the detail was astronomical, at volume almost painful.  I have since gone to the Contour series but still am watching the boards for a pre.  I think I will benefit...  Great to hear your experience. I have not seen the review yet but will be great to read. Paul, Duncan, Jeremy etc are a great group of guys...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2018, 01:02 am »
Maybe I am  mistaken, but I thought PSA threw the towel in on Class D?

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2018, 01:07 am »

Paul and the engineers at PS Audio change their direction as times change. The Stellar range of amps use B&O Ice modules.

oneartist

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2018, 02:23 am »
Daren Myer was the PSA designer of the Stellar units. He plainly said before he started the project, "At the time I had a hard time enjoying most Class D amplifiers."
He developed the class A cell input which made all the difference.

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2018, 02:25 am »

Paul did not like the sound of the Ncore modules, so he shelved that idea.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2018, 05:51 pm »
Okay, now I understand. PS Audio is much more than Paul and Stan.

Here’s a little history on the company.... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_Audio

TJ-Sully

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2018, 11:04 pm »
PS Audio is a good group.  I 2nd your opinion of the 700s.  I have the DSD jr direct to the 700s and out to Dynaudio...  Nothing as hard to drive as your Maggies but good results.  I had a pair of very resolving C1s and while the detail was astronomical, at volume almost painful.  I have since gone to the Contour series but still am watching the boards for a pre.  I think I will benefit...  Great to hear your experience. I have not seen the review yet but will be great to read. Paul, Duncan, Jeremy etc are a great group of guys...

Hi Roninaudio

Some synergies here...

I've been researching PS Audio DAC's and thinking of switching out my PMC 22's for a pair of Dynaudio monitors.

Curios which Dyn's you are driving and whether you have them integrated with subs?

TJ

Roninaudio

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2018, 01:24 am »
Lot of synergies as you got two of my favorite musicians as an avatar....lol.  PM if you want to chat.....

But in short- Can definitely talk about the PSA DAC (jr) and it really is responsible for the biggest positive change I have heard from a piece of electronics period. Not just how it makes my hi-res files sound, but how everything sounds. That's from Hi-res to MP3 (Like the Brothers) to Spotify.

For the Dyns and subs.  I'm a REL guy. Nothing better IMHO.  I have only used a single sub- never felt I needed a pair or a "swarm". T7i or T9i depending on if you may be a HT guy or have a large room.  However mine is 20X30 and I got all the bass I needed.  I like the sub to disappear though.. Less is more.

Used the sub with EMIT 20s (fantastic for the $), Xcite 38s and C1s.  I now have Contour 30s and it's off. I'm going to listen for a while just like it is.  Hope that helps... You might start with the Special Forty's, then Countour 20 and C1s...  Depending on budget and liking... They all sound different.

(BTW- The 700s rock with the current set up.  They may of had an issue with the 85db C1s-not sure, they drove all the other speakers great including the current Contours. It may of been something else in the set up)

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2018, 03:42 am »
Ronin

A great choice with Class D amps is the W4S STP-SE unless you want to go with tubes.  There is one in the Trading Post for a good price. It was voiced with their amps which are also based on B&O modules. 

Roninaudio

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2018, 01:15 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I did contact the gentleman (in Georgia I believe). Good guy, just extra on shipping and all the fun of dealing with Paypal and out of state.  TMR is 20 minutes from me and they deal solely in pre-owned gear. Mid to high end... I am trying out a Cary Audio and so far- excellent.  I'm not sure if it's all the pre or just the fact there is now a pre in the system or a combination thereof. They had the same (I believe) W4S unit but wanted about 500 more than the one here on AC.  That was not happening.  The Cary unit I got was fairly priced.   From TMR you get 45 day return or trade (no questions/hassle) so I'm evaluating. If that W4S was local it would of been home at that  price....

Update-
Actually, to be fair to TMR, that unit is new:

Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stereo Preamplifier; Silver (New / Open Box)

$1,535.99
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2018, 02:43 pm by Roninaudio »

Roninaudio

restrav

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:18 am »
https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m700-monoblock-power-amplifier

The reviewer went from Wilson audio to monitor audio :d

You don't see that everyday. Not because monitor audio platinum is so special blog because Wilson is so so not deserving of the prairie it gets